Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 April 2006
Picked this up a day after release, after waiting for AGES, and digested in one sitting.... Book 3 of the Vatta's War series, please read books 1 & 2 first. The fractured trading Vatta family is starting to pick itself up after it's trashing in book one. Getting an interstellar trading line back trading, dealing with a bad reputation, and somehow staying one step ahead of the bad guys attempting to blow your head off, or killing your ship:- you kind-of expect this by now from the author......
On a personal note, somehow I get the feeling from the pacing of this book, it's more of a bridge to some bigger WOWS in the next in the series. Not the usual 5 stars this time. Ask me again after I've re-read it two of three times
on 22 February 2010
I wont give my version of the story but ...

Really great fun, good story well told. Nothing to make you think hard about new ideas. Easy to get started (some books take an age and a real struggle to get into - not this series). Then difficult to put down.

However, think of the series as a single large book and read them in the correct order. One excellent aspect about the series is that, unlike some multi-book series, the start of each book assumes you have read the previous book and does not spend ages recapping the story so far. Personally I hate it when you read the 2nd/3rd/4th book and you have to plough through loads of recapping the book before. In this series each book just continues directly from the end of the previous one making all 5 books like one book but split for convenience. So read them in the right order.
on 21 February 2013
Bought the first one as a discarded library book and got completely hooked on the series.
The characters are really well worked out and given time to develop. The 'SF' part of the story is subtle, not one of those books that is blinding you with science. Very good story telling with enough detail to make it rich and colourful and so that you can almost taste and smell it. For me the only other SF author that created the same intensity was Ray Bradbury. I really loved the volumes 1 to 4. The 5th one is still good but feels oddly rushed in some parts and drawn out in others.

You need to start with the first one though, or it will be difficult to understand the characters.
on 12 February 2011
This book, as do all of the others in the series, picks up immediately where the last one left off. The books seem more like convenient ways to package instalments of one longer story. (Although the books can be read individually).

The pace does not slack off in this book, however, it does have the feel of the middle of a book, where the plot is being fleshed out. The main character makes possibly a bad decision that has a reasonable outcome, for her and a few others, whereby she gains valuable experience in her abilities to fight in space. This helps her reputation and encourages some to follow.
on 8 June 2006
I agree with the previous reviewer, this is very much a "mid-series" book where a reasonable amount happens but it's general plot development rather than anything spectacular. Having said that, the story moves along quite nicely and things become a little clearer in this murky tale of betrayal and war.
Elizabeth Moon is one of my favourite contemporary sci-fi writers and I have enjoyed all of her books. I am looking forward to seeing how this series works out, as long as it doesn't get spun out too long.
on 6 January 2016
The lead character has to work to get what she needs, nothing is handed over on a silver platter, mistakes abound just like real life, this is a classic series, if your in two minds because these are full price books, the old adage of 'you get what you pay for' holds true here.
My first ever book E E 'doc' Smith's Triplanetary, introduced me to 'space opera' and Vatta's war is a great offering 50 years later.
on 16 November 2013
I discovered books by Elizabeth Moon only about 4 weeks ago. Since then I have not been able to put my Kindle down. The more I read of her books the more I want. The characters are memorable and believable, the plot unfolds without confusing. I cannot give this author any higher praise. I have been reading science fiction for over 50 years and in my opinion she is peerless.
on 13 April 2014
This is great story and well thought out, i have read this story before and it us just as enjoyable the second time, i will be downloading tge next 2 books in the series as they are good value for money and the story is very gripping.
on 13 May 2012
An enjoyable read. Some clever ideas on communications and believable fight sequences. A well thought out plot. It does, however, extend over five novels so it is not for the faint hearted. Parts of it remind me of "The Lost Fleet."
on 5 December 2010
This is a gripping Sci-Fi series. I read the whole series in a week after getting the first two books from a charity shop and deciding I must read the rest, I bought the remaining three books from Amazon.