5.0 out of 5 stars Rollercoaster ride
Published on 3 April 2008 by Bezzer

3.0 out of 5 stars Enough
This book was slower than her previous books and I found it difficult to get into but I read it to the end. Normally, I can read 10, 12, 15 books in a series, like Ramond E Feist or Terry Brooks and find every single one amazing but, I couldn't get into this one. I am giving 3 stars because at the end it wasn't too bad.
Published on 29 July 2010 by Rosalind DETERVILLE

5.0 out of 5 stars Rollercoaster ride, 3 April 2008
I'm not going to go through a blow-by-blow (no pun intended) account of the plot. Suffice to say that we see the more mature side of Imriel emerging in this book, the second of the trilogy centred on him. I wasn't sure if Jacqueline Carey would be able to generate the same kind of excitement and unpredictability as she did in the earlier trilogy but I needn't have worried. This book really surprised me in its adventurous plot and unflinching character development. Carey allows her characters to have very human emotions - selfishness, greed, thoughtlessness, hatred but also hope, healing, self-sacrifice, love and devotion. We see all of these in Imriel!

As usual, we are introduced to new geographical locations and new cultures. We learn lots more about the Cruithne and Dalriada - the first part of the book is very focussed on their culture and much of it is based in Alba. Carey is also good at developing peripheral characters and allowing them to play essential parts in her stories - there's plenty of that in this book.

Having hugely enjoyed the whole of the first trilogy I was very slightly disappointed in some elements of the first book in Imriel's trilogy - although it was still a cracking good story. This book makes up for it with knobs on. There is less 'angst' in Imriel - although he still has huge problems in his life, he is becoming more comfortable in his own skin. This is due, mostly, to the interventions of two very different women - Dorelei (Drustan's niece) and Sidonie (the eldest daughter of Ysandre and Drustan, heir to the throne of Terre D'Ange). The core of this book is Imriel's difficult relationships with both of them. He learns that you can't always have what you want and sometimes you can't resolve the conflicts in your life without losing something precious.

I can't wait to get my hands on the final installment in the trilogy - pre-ordered in fact!

Update: I've had to pre-order the next book (Kushiel's Mercy) from the US site as it was withdrawn from the UK site - I've no idea why. It has now been shipped (as at 9 June 2008) so I'm waiting eagerly for the postman to arrive.....

4.0 out of 5 stars The romance novel of the series, 4 May 2009
This review is from: Kushiel's Justice: Treason's Heir: Book Two (Paperback)
Kushiel's Justice is the second book in Jacqueline Carey's Treason's Heir trilogy. If you haven't read the first part Kushiel's Scion, then get that first, otherwise you might find the charaters a bit lacking. Well actually, if you haven't read any of Jacqueline Carey's books, start with Kushiel's Dart first. This is more than a suggestion.

Kushiel's Justice follows (as the previous book) the life and adventures of the now older Imriel no Montreve de la Courcel, as he strugles with growing up and falling in love. And love for him of course isn't easy. He still tries to be good as he has promised, and wants to do the right thing, but it isn't easy.

It is slower than the previous book. Well, actually slower than any of the previous books. It takes its time to build the characters and the settings. It doesn't have as much great epic adventures or battles as the previous book, and it is very dark in tone. You feel the suffering and pain of the characters, as Carey is as expressive with people's feelings and thoughts as always.

It is more slowepaced than you might have expected from Carey. It is more poetic I suppose, you could call it the romance novel in the series - and it works. Now obviously there has been romance elements in all of the Kushiel books, but in this, it is the romance element that binds the story together. Surprisingly also then there are less erotic scenes in this books than in the previous ones.

Quite different from Carey's previous books, but it works so well. Can't wait to read the last part.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gathering pace, 16 Oct 2008
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kushiel's Justice: Treason's Heir: Book Two (Paperback)
The tale opens from an older Imriel's experience and as such the voice improves the telling as opposed to a whiney teen angst ridden telling, we come to a more mature voice and one that allows the reader to connect more firm attachments to the character which, if I'm being honest, has always been the greatest strength of Jacqueline's writing. The writing is solid, the characterisation believable and to top it off the reader is treated to a story that is a worth successor to the originals. Whilst some of the writing in the original tale of this second trilogy seemed unnecessary at the time it becomes clear within the pages of this tale that its all relevant even if you didn't realise it at the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant & beautiful, 22 Feb 2013
These books glow. Sensitively constructed & executed with love & deep understanding. Carey is a true talent. Can't wait to start the next one

3.0 out of 5 stars Enough, 29 July 2010
Rosalind DETERVILLE (Belgium) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 12 April 2010
J. Brown "Jnepho" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kushiel's Justice: Treason's Heir: Book Two (Paperback)
Came quickly and its an awesome book.. with love, tears, battle and so forth... as usual jacqueline carey is a marvelous writer that keeps you wrapt!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as usual, 12 July 2007
C. C. Chivers "ccchivers" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
There is a satisfying end to the this book but it naturally leaves you gasping for the last of the trilogy.

Kushiel's Justice: Treason's Heir: Book Two
Kushiel's Justice: Treason's Heir: Book Two by Jacqueline Carey (Paperback - 4 Sep 2008)