4.0 out of 5 stars He improves more as he goes along
I have read all of the fantasy works of James Clemens and this book is his best so far. It suffers from some drawbacks, but overall, it is rather enjoyable. Clemens has created a rich world to set his story in and his Gods (and rogue gods) are sincerely intriguing.

Published on 15 Nov. 2008 by Nicola Jarvis

3.0 out of 5 stars so nearly there
I've read both the Godslayer books and have enjoyed the experience. But comparing Clemens to the best of his contempories is a bit like comparing a supermarket curry to a madras from a top curry house. All the ingredients are in place it just doesn't quite have the same intensity.

Published on 6 Aug. 2008 by Mr. A. I. Harrison

4.0 out of 5 stars He improves more as he goes along, 15 Nov. 2008
Nicola Jarvis (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews

The good news (for me) is that 'Hinterland' is an improvement from 'Shadowfall'. My main problem with the first novel of this series, though I enjoyed it immensely, is that it starts well, but the end gets a bit ridiculous - a villain with maniacal laughter et al. I felt Chrism was a clumsy plot device, not set as a development, but to serve as a mere "twist" at the end of the story, which is why it fell flat on its face (and the fact that Clemens is a bit confused as to what insanity is). This novel does not have that problem. It has villains, but not just for villains sake; they actually have a motive, and they seem at least a little sane and make some sense (Lord Ulf, for example).

'Hinterland' starts off very slow indeed, as we read endless chapters of a boy obsessing over wolf cubs, Dart going about her duties in her new position, and Tylar always being unhappy. Fair enough, normality is depicted, and soon after that, the action and plot development is full speed ahead, and it becomes difficult to put the book down. Although there are some predictable and obvious twists scattered throughout (having everyone related to one another loses its shock value after the first revelation), there are still some surprises, and it is a genuine treat to venture outside into different lands to learn of different cultures and such.

There are a few problems with Clemens ability at this point. Characterisation is a bit of an issue. Most characters are stereotypes or are black or white. Rogger suffers greatly from this, who clearly has no use other than silly one-liners for comic relief. Other characters come and go to merely move the plot along, or to sacrifice themselves within minutes of their appearance for a main character or the world, and so on. The main characters themselves do not seem any different from one another. Lorr, Kyt, the giants, Krevan and Tylar are all interchangeable personality wise, but differ only with abilities and their usefulness to any given situation, again, to move the plot along.

Another slight issue about my edition of this book (November 2006 paperback) is that there are typos and preventable grammatical errors throughout the book; there is even an "a5nd" in there! Go for the 2007 edition to perhaps avoid these (I assume a re-release would remove these errors).

Overall, the novel is action packed, and the progress of the story comes across naturally enough. More depth and secrets are revealed about the Cabal, the Sundering, Rivenscyr, and Dart's father. We are given an interesting new character that gave a tiny appearance in 'Shawdowfall' named Brant. Although he is a lot like Dart, only male, he still has a mysterious background that is fun to decipher and watch develop. I, like everyone else, am now waiting for the third novel in the series.

UPDATE ON THE SERIES: There are no immediate plans to release a follow-up to the Wit'ch or Godslayer series for the years 2010 or 2011. Clemens will return to the Wit'ch and Godslayer series as soon as his current writing schedule permits.

3.0 out of 5 stars so nearly there, 6 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Hinterland: The Godslayer Series: Book Two (Paperback)

The books are packed with original ideas, I loved the fallen Gods, the bullhound, the wyr and the charactor Dart. The odd thing echoed a bit of other work, Pup for instance smacked a little of Phillip Pullman's daemon
idea from Northern Lights but it must be so hard to write a completely original book and Clemens has come as near as damb it.

No the shortage of spice for me is in the charactorisation or lack of it. Great story but other than Dart everyone is a bit wooden and non descript. In fact you end up almost supporting some of the baddies like Lianora just because they have a bit more colour. Clemens needs to give the leads a few more flaws, a really bad temper, a drink problem or a tendency to overspend on their credit cards or something!

Still I think these are very under rated books and I will be following the story to it's conclusion and if anyone is out there and fancies a different take on fantasy from the usual collection of elves, trolls, wizards and barbarians I can recommend this and if he can just add that missing spice he shoots up to a 4 or 5 rating for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another successful book!, 22 Jan. 2007
What I want to know is when the 3rd one is being published!! I just can't wait! I managed to read this book in 2 days, and I couldn't put it down.

The story continues with Tylar going for far off lands in search of the Cabal, there are some twists in the story and a lot of misdirection. In my opinion this makes the book that much more exciting and suspenseful by the end.

I can honestly say that James is one of my favourite fantasy authors. He has the skill and wit to put together a truly magnificent story that just makes me beg for more. Thank you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 23 July 2007
This review is from: Hinterland: The Godslayer Series: Book Two (Paperback)
Although not quite as good as Shadow Fall, this is still a very good book. I wish there was the option of awarding 1/2 stars, because I would have gladly awarded this work 4 1/2.
The Godslayer series is now 2 books old and I will admit that I wil be impatiently keeping an eye out for book 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 8 Jan. 2007
Mr. J. Jones - See all my reviews
Having read James Clemens first series The banned and the banished a while ago, i picked up this series by pure chance, and am glad to say i havent been disappointed, flew through the 1st book in a matter of days, really drew me in, being a fan of eddings, fiest, is it so hard to find good fanstay, that isnt churned out by the bucket load. i have read the malazan books of the fallen series, and the prince of nothing trilogy and am happy to say while this isnt on the grand scale of those, it was a good read and am happy awaiting the next book in the series.

So i recommend anyone to pick this series up and have a read, you wont be disappointed

4.0 out of 5 stars amenti22, 28 Jan. 2007
I have read all of james clemens' books to date & have enjoyed all of them he is definately my favourite author so far. I found this book very enjoyable and a good follow up to his Shadowfall. The story was gripping & introduced some new & interesting characters. I love the twists & deciet he places in some characters. Although this book wasnt quite as climatic as shadowfall it has still left me eagerly waiting for the next book to this series. I hope it comes out soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be better, 13 Aug. 2007
Mr. P. Magee "Peteo" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hinterland: The Godslayer Series: Book Two (Paperback)
An excellent book by James Clemens but not up to his usual very high standards, having read all JC's wit'ch epic novels and then was blown away by the excellent (and best so far) Shadowfall, i was left thinking Hinterland was a good linking novel with good action sequences, but i can't wait for the next book which seems to be taking ages to write. Hurry UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars book two, 3 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Hinterland: The Godslayer Series: Book Two (Paperback)
couldnt wait to read this second book in the god slayer series after shadow fall did not dissapoint if you are a fan of teery brooks tom lloyde etc as i am you will enjoy this author to the condition of the book was good as well please jame s clemmen s if you are reading this review hurry up aND COMPLETE THE SERIES WITH BOOK 3

2.0 out of 5 stars 5 years on no sign of 3rd and final installment, 6 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Hinterland: The Godslayer Series: Book Two (Paperback)
I really enjoyed the banned and the banished series and the first 2 instalments of the hinterland series but 5 years on no sign of the 3rd book which I find extremely annoying!! why start a series and not complete it so I would warn you not to bother until the 3rd book ever surfaces

5.0 out of 5 stars Whats next?!, 21 Feb. 2014
A lot goes on in this book, and our heroine really starts to grow up. The characters are engaging and believable and I really want to know what now?!

Hinterland: The Godslayer Series: Book Two
Hinterland: The Godslayer Series: Book Two by James Clemens (Paperback - 3 May 2007)