4.0 out of 5 stars Jordan goes back to the beginning...
Firstly, it's nice to see that here, in comparison to the US amazon site, there's only one person reviewing the book who hasn't read it and has given it a one star. I can well understand fans annoyance at having to wait for the next book but no one is forcing them to buy this book, it is not an integral part of the main series, nor has it claimed to be.
This is a...
Published on 12 Jan 2004 by D. Wright

3.0 out of 5 stars The Wheel spins yet again
It is almost impossible for a reviewer to seperate New Spring from the main body of the Wheel of time series. However does that do so will realise that Robert Jordan has lost none of his ability to write a good story. Apart from the last chapter (25) which is the same material as the short story from the Legends Anthology, the novella contains all new material. Sharply...
Published on 15 Jan 2004 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 30 Dec 2006
This review is from: New Spring: A Wheel of Time Novel: A Wheel of Time Prequel (Hardcover)
Being a great fan of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, I was definitly going to get this.

Then I read the reviews about it and changed my mind I couldn't be bothered.

Then someone bought it for me for Christmas, I can't believe what people have written in the reviews. I think it's really good, very fast paced for Robert Jordan (cue cynical sniggering), and since it's about two characters from whom we don't hear their point of view in the main series, it makes a great story. The story reads like most of the other WoT books but it comes in from a different angle, with all the good bits of the other books (chases, channeling, swordsmanship, and urgency).

In my opinion there isn't another book like it in the series mainly because a lot of action happens across all 300 pages of it, with a lot of depth to the story.

If you loved books 1-3 and got bored at book 5 read this it's great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite an amazing book, not that I expected anything less of Robert Jordan or his Wheel of Time Book Series., 2 Mar 2014
I picked this book up rather randomly at a second hand store thinking that it was half of the first book ‘Eye of the World’ which is what I thought I had heard somewhere. I did this because I thought I might be able to give it to a friend or family member for Christmas. At only 400 ish pages then it isn’t too overpowering for someone who isn’t used to the Wheel of Time books.

However it turned out that I was wrong, very wrong, this book was actually a prequel to the Wheel of Time series. I hadn’t, and still haven’t, finished the Wheel of Time series … I am on book eleven at the moment and just about half way through it I’d say. Luckily as this was a prequel I was able to pick it up and read it regardless of where I was in the main series, and I was glad to do so.

My other Wheel of Time books (since book 9) have been on Kindle (or equivalent e-reader) so it was nice to finally have one that I could hold and turn the pages of. As I found it in a charity shop it had already been read a few times and had that nice old book feel to it, which added to the enjoyment even more. I do hold a special place in my heart for paper books.

It was the fact it was a paper book that led me to read it and not really put it down. I started before Christmas and finished it a few days ago, having brought it on the journey of a lifetime with me to Thailand!

The book was brilliant, I enjoyed it thoroughly … it was nice to have an idea to some of the backstory in any series, and many series would and probably should capitalise on this, we love to know more about characters whom we have grown to love (especially ones that have been around for a good 11 books).

I’d say my greatest disappointment was actually finishing the book, I longed for more back stories … It was sad news to read that although Robert Jordan had planned 3 prequels they may never see the light of day now, since his death in 2007. I hope that Brandon Sanderson, who was been co-authoring the recent books since Robert’s death, will be able to release these someday.

At £4 for the Kindle edition, and undoubtedly less for a used copy, buying this book is a steal and a very very fair trade off between cost and enjoyment!

4.0 out of 5 stars New Spring: A Wheel of Time Prequel - Robert Jordan, 16 May 2011
I suppose I should start by repeating what has been said by some others. This is not a stand alone novel. Without first reading some of the Wheel of Time series (probably most of it), you will likely find New Spring very confusing.

I have read over some of the other reviews written here and found a few that think this novel was just a money spinner between the books of the main series, but I think they may have missed the point. In an epic fantasy series like the Wheel of Time series, an author probably creates a great many origin stories for their characters (how can they write them properly without knowing their history?). The reader would normally never get to read this material but with New Spring Jordan gave his fans an opportunity to read some of the extra material that doesn't really have a place in the main series.

As for the actual content of the novel there isn't actually much of a plot, but there doesn't need to be, we know the story comes later. Instead we are given an opportunity to see Siuan and Moiraine as Accepted, and are given an idea of how Aes Sedai training was traditionally conducted rather than the accelerated training of Egwene, Elayne and Nynaeve. We also get to meet Lan as a younger man and are given a taste of the world as it was before the Dragon Reborn started breaking it. We meet a few familiar characters along the way, although very briefly, such as Verin and Cadsuane and get to witness the original prophecy of the Dragon's rebirth.

Ultimately the story isn't that gripping, but the chance to see the world through the eyes of well known characters at a much younger age makes up for that and provides a nice bit of depth to an already epic story. Not a must read, but a nice bit of extra information for hardcore fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars The story that starts it all off, 11 April 2003
This was the first story I read of the Wheel of time series when it was released in a collection of short stories from different authors and it was enough to get me to start what was at the time an as yet unfinished eight book series. It tells the tale of how Moirain finds Lan and makes him her Warder. It has everything you have come to expect from Robert Jordan. Stunning fight scenes and heroism. Plus it explains how the two principal characters came to be together and start their journey that leads them to the Two Rivers and to Rand, Mat and Perrin. I thouroughly recomend it for fans of the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Patchy - not really essential to the story, 19 May 2008
Dmitri M. A. Hubbard (Hong Kong) - See all my reviews
I would suggest if you are considering reading this not to do so unless you have read the first five books and liked them, and are considering continuing the series. If you are not, there is little of value in this book in terms of plot development.

The book has some interesting development of the relationship between Moiraine and Siuan but despite it being short (in WOT standards) it contains the usual complaints - over description of clothing, etc. It is not a bad book, but I find myself unable to keep reading it without having another more interesting book handy to supplement my "journey" thorugh the book.

Conclusion - don't read this book first, and if you cant get through the first five books, don't read it at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars well i rather enjoyed it, 18 Feb 2006
William Crossman "billy" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
In Jordans world of time series it all starts quite suddenly with us being thrown in at the deep end, we are expected to know the past histories of moiraine and lan. These very intricate and complex characters (moiraine who we are hoping to re-appear in the next book) are unexplained, they are the only main characters within the series not to have been set-up or backgrounded. I think that every wheel of time reader should in all honesty be reading this book, not because it is a serious and well thought out story, but because it gives us a little bit of the coveted relationship history of these two memorable characters. The story is relaxed and cheerful, it is easy going and if you have not yet read it but have read the wheel of time series then read it. Hey we all need something to do in the next five years while he's writing the twelth book, at the very least this will take up a couple of hours of that time.

2.0 out of 5 stars New Spring, 22 April 2004
Iain Moate (Stockport, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have been a fan of the Wheel Of Time books from the very beginning andit was extremely disappointing to read New Spring.
Its not the length of time I have had to wait between each book or thefact that the series just goes on and on, no, A New Spring just appears tobe a bit of a money spinner for Jordan while adding nothing to the storythat fans want to know.
He would do better finishing the story he started oh so long ago and thenreturning to his prequels rather than spinning it all out for anotherdecade.
I would advise anyone thinking of starting on the long road of the WheelOf Time to start at the beginning and ignore New Spring completely.

2.0 out of 5 stars interesting but not a return to form, 24 Mar 2004
J. Brittain "JFB" (London) - See all my reviews
'New spring' is an expansion of the novella of the same name, describing events before 'the eye of the world'. Its start is promising; taking place in the tower just before moirane gets her shawl; and its quite fun seeing moirane getting ordered around for a bit. Finding out a lot of the particulars of tower life from an Aes Sedai perspective is also diverting, but as soon as the novel enters events that I had already read of of in the short story; including phrases lifted straight from the other text; my interest wained. This exercise merely shows how inefficient Robert Jordan's writing has become: he clearly prefers writing this way and it is engaging enough, but being concise is preferable to waffle. 'New spring' also illustrates another trend in Jordan's writing: that which makes characters more tedious as they get more world weary. Lan is fairly engaging in 'New Spring', certainly more so than when he has permanent melancholia. In the latest addition, I even remember Rand thinking: 'soon it will be over, and then I can die'. What? How are we supposed to feel empathy for these characters if all they do is moan and mope about, which is literally what Rand did for all of 'Crossroads of twilight'. Don't get me started on 'Path of Daggers'...But I digress. In truth, New spring is quite distracting although I advise you not to shell out for the hard cover edition- especially if you have already read the novella.

1.0 out of 5 stars that I did not recognise her from the cool and self possessed character in the wheel of time ..., 5 July 2014
As others have said, it covers the development of Moiraine and Siuan becoming Accepted, as well as Moiraine'smeeting Lan and the how he becomes her warder. Sure, you can say she has twenty years between these events, except that she wont spend any of that time in the Tower "learning" all those things Caduane tells her she needs to learn having become Aes Sadai,

Spoiler alert pre book 5!

For me, the thing doesn't work at all. I've not read the early books in a while, but this is someone who willingly decides to confront Lanfear and accept death to kill her. Jordan again goes completely overboard with young characters "quailing" in fear simply because they are young.

Moiraine has so many doubts, fears and worries, in this novel, that I did not recognise her from the cool and self possessed character in the wheel of time and later. I'm all for character development, but it has to be shown and described, not assumed in the course of twenty years that are not covered by the books even including this one. The old literary idea that character is destiny would really add to this portrayal of Moiraine, as I just found I liked her much less than when I read the early books. Even Siuan Sanche, who we are told when in the head of Moiraine that she was born to lead, comes across as weak and in lacking independence when the narrative shifts to her perspective.

Also, if you were to write a prequel of these books, there are so many great stories that could be filled in, I'm not sure I would have spent so much time on Moiraine and Siuan Sanche's early development exclusively. I would have been more interested to learn who really was Rand's mother, details perhaps of what his father was like, how Siuan became Mother of the White Tower, stories of how Moiraine came to reach Emond's Field, how she came to know that she would have to confront Lanfear and fall into the TerAngreal in the Waste Land, so many stories more integral to the overall plot.

Finally, some reviewers have commented on whether the pace of the book is more similar to the earlier or later books. For me unfortunately, too much time is spent repeating uninteresting detail about unimportant character's aesthetic preferences, character vulnerabilities that are so overly emphasized they simply become implausible, and the continued discussion about the political dangers to Lan from his carneira that become completely written away in a couple of pages at the end, after far to much pontificating previously.

If you are really interested in how Moiraine met Lan, read this book. If not, and if you like the character of Moiraine as she is presented in the main books, do not read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read for Wheel of Time fans, 24 Jun 2014
Loved this book! I wasn't sure at first but once it got going I couldn't put it down! The insight into things that happened before the main wheel of time series was fab and gripping.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

New Spring: A Wheel of Time Novel: A Wheel of Time Prequel
New Spring: A Wheel of Time Novel: A Wheel of Time Prequel by Robert Jordan (Hardcover - 12 Jan 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01