on 16 June 2005
This, though wrapping up some of the loose ends from the previous two books, does leave you feeling like not as much effort went into this third installment. The plot was confusing, and I found myself wondering on more than one occasion just what was going on. The ending was less than satisfactory, compared to the previous two books, and according to the notes at the end, this series is now 'complete'. By the end I found myself hardly caring what happened to the characters.
on 25 June 2005
I consider myself really lucky to be one of the first people in Australia to read Crash Deluxe. An avid fan of the first two books, I was really looking forward to this book and I wasn't disappointed. Parrish continues to wrestle the flow to suit her rather than go with it, and is faced with more challenges and decisions than anyone should have to deal with.
This story flowed faster than the previous two, went more heavily into typically science fiction areas and yet continued to show up the frailty of the human condition. In this case, we finally get a good glimpse at the civilisation of Vivacity and find that while it might be the more preferred way of living, the people of the Tert are the ones I'd prefer to live with, being more human and honest. My only quibble was the end: I like really clean cut endings, so found the ambiguity of this ending a little difficult to take, although knowing it was done on purpose makes it easier to swallow.
De Pierres has a great writing style: a fantastic mix of action, dialogue and description. She also creates great characters, people that are real, flawed, interesting, Parrish being the best of the bunch. Even characters that only appear for a few paragraphs or a chapter or two come across as being real, something that a lot of authors fail to do. Even though some quite heavy science comes into this book, De Pierres has a knack of explaining it without stopping the flow of the action.
So all in all, I have to say that if you've read the first two books, you won't be at all disappointed in this and you'll see Parrish as you've never seen her before. If you haven't read the first two books, then what are you waiting for? Get out there!
on 1 December 2008
I agree with the other reviewer, this is a very confusing book. In contrast with the earlier volumes it is quite poorly written. The main character - Parrish Plessis - started the series with a good, strongly written, definite character with a defined set of her own 'ethical' values, strange though they may have been. The whole persona was refreshingly different from the majority of the 'lead' female characters in many SF books.

By this volume all of that was gone. The story was confusing and woolly, with no real characterisation. All of Plessis' drive and ethics had gone out of the window leaving just a shallow insipid mish-mash with an ending that was non existent. There was no conclusion, not even an intriguing question to give you the impression that there might be some sort of future for the characters. It ended instead like a damp squib. I was left with the feeling that the author had got fed up, got it to the publishers at the earliest possible point, and moved on to something more interesting (such as watching paint dry).

My only thought at the last page was "So?". This was quickly followed by "What a waste of time and money". This was a pity because if the standard had been maintained, or even developed, from the first volume this could have been a classic series.