4.0 out of 5 stars Improves with hindsight
I'd read the first eleven books before, so by the time I got round to buying my own copy of this one, I had a fair idea what I was getting. I still read through the existing reviews before deciding which of the holes in my current collection to fill first.

Judging by the reviews, I was expecting there to be a lot of gratuitous lesbian spanking scenes in this...
Published on 26 May 2009 by rmsgrey

2.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointed fan
Having spent over 150 on the series so far, and having thoroughly enjoyed the earlier books in the series for the fresh new world and characters RJ brought to life, I like many others am now in the position that buying each book is now a certainty if just to know how it turns out, and for the expenditure so far to not have been a complete waste.
Unfortunately this...
Published on 1 Jan 2003 by N. Hanes

2.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointed fan, 1 Jan 2003
N. Hanes (Tunbridge Wells, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crossroads Of Twilight: Book 10 of the Wheel of Time (Hardcover)
Unfortunately this now seems to entail buying books which really arent up to scratch. I wont include any spoilers, for the main reason there isnt anything to include. In essense, not a lot happens - there is build up for things to happen later, but over 600 pages of unneccessary detail, and Aes Sedai saying 'what was all that channeling?' per end of book 9.
If you've got this far in the series, you're going to buy the books anyway....but wait for the paperback. For what you're going to receive in this book, paying even the paperback price is too high. Detailed characterisation is good, but for less than minor charatcers ? And only about 4 chapters on Rand....its not as if hes important to the story or anything.
Be prepared for a very long haul for the end of the Wheel of Time. If CoT is anything to go by, we'll be lucky to see it concluded by book 20, as each book now covers only a couple of days in the worlds timeline. Hopefully RJ will get back to form soon, but in the meantime try Steven Erikson's series Malazan Book of the Fallen - after WoT you'll find it harder to get to grips with since it packs in more plots, twists and action into one chapter than WoT now gets in an entire book, and reading the two series one after the other WoT now comes a very poor second.
But you'll buy the book anyway, like I did.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Long Slow Road, 4 Jan 2003
By A Customer
Well, I am a big fan of WoT and have read and re-read the series several times. The standard of writing in Crossroads of Twilight is of Jordan's usual high quality with descriptions, characters, and places all vividly portrayed in his unique style.
However, while all of this is enjoyable, unfortuately nothing of note happens in this book. I mean, absolutely nothing. The one major event of the story occurs on the very last page, leaving the reader hanging in a dreary Empire Strikes Back kind of way.
I had heard rumors that Jordan planned on finishing the series in 12 books but if he keeps up at this pace, it will never end!
I will keep reading as long as Jordan keeps writing but we may all be old and gray by the time he ever gets round to gathering together all of the threads, old and new, he keeps weaving.

3.0 out of 5 stars Getting to be like Arsenal in the 70s, 30 Dec 2002
S. Flaherty "steve3742" (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
If anyone has read 'Fever Pitch' by Nick Hornby (an excellent book, I'd give it at least 4 stars were I reviewing it) there's a section in there where he's describing his feelings as an Arsenal fan in the 70s, when Arsenal were not bad enough to get relegated yet not good enough to win anything. He describes the resulting stasis as being terrible. I'm not a football fan yet, reading the 'Wheel of Time' series, I know what he means.
This book has been long awaited by anyone who's read the last nine, something Jordan must be aware of. Even the most diehard fans (and I'm one of them) must be wanting Jordan to get on with it, to advance the plot a little. This book doesn't do that. There are sections dealing with Perrin, Mat, Egwene, Elayne and (briefly) Rand himself, but none of them really take the story anywhere. Perrin starts out on a search & rescue mission for Faile and by the end of the book he's still on a search & rescue mission for Faile, Mat is trying to leave Seanchan territory and still is at the end of the book, the siege of Tar Valon and the choosing of the Queen of Andor go precisely nowhere and Rand does nothing of significance. 680 pages and hardly anything happens.
To be fair, it does seem, in all the above cases, as if something is about to happen (in fact the Egwene and Mat storylines do have significant events happen right at the end, but even these just set up a situation for the next volume to deal with), so volume 11 may well have a lot of action in it. But I would have liked some here, I've been waiting over a year after all. Even if it meant the book being longer, I don't mind 1100 page novels, in fact I quite like them.
And this is more disappointing because the prologue, which I downloaded from Kazaa a few months back (can you believe that Jordan got upset because people like me refused to pay twice for the same piece of writing?) did have lots of tantalising hints of action. It seemed that a counterattack was going to be launched on the Seanchan and the Black Tower was going to be split. But none of these promising plotlines come to fruition. The possible split in the Black tower is mentioned once and the counterattack on the Seanchan not at all.
Like most people who've read the other nine I can't see any way to stop now, I've invested too much in it. And there is some interesting character development and some slight movement on some sub plots. However for 18 and a wait of nearly 2 years I had expected more. But, like Nick Hornby and Arsenal in the seventies, I'm stuck with what's dished out to me and can see no way out of it.
Jordan has said that he hopes to finish by volume 12, something I can't see happening given how little happened here. But I still hope he'll recover his earlier style, the interesting and excellent books that drew me into this series. Hopefully he will recover and start to write decently again. A bit like Arsenal in the 80s.

2.0 out of 5 stars Jordan is quite mad, 27 April 2003
Okay, let's be sensible here. I'm not going to start cursing and muttering wildly
(even thought I would like to) but the truth of the matter is I was so disappointed with
Jordans latest book that I was almost in tears.
Over six hundred pages and the amount of progression in the book could be
measured in negative numbers.
The amount of 'shawl and braid tugging' almost had me grinding my teeth. The over
the top descriptions practically had be skimming over the entire book. With far too
much emphasis on minor (and boring) characters, Jordan appears to have forgotten
exactly where he had originally planned to go.
A long time fan of the series (okay, it's more like an obsession) I was so
disappointed with COT that I will definitely think long and hard about spending any more
money on the series.
A definite disappointment but long time readers must read it otherwise they will
not be able to follow all further books (due to the pain staking amount of detail).

3.0 out of 5 stars Lord of padding, 19 Jan 2003
Peter Miller (Sudbury, Suffolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
When the Wheel of time started it was a brilliant yarn, masses of action, wonderful and likeable characters and incredible background.
Over the last two or three books it has denenerated into a slow moving and over complicated story with so many characters that after two years I can't remember who is who.
I do a lot of writing in my own field and I know when a story is being padded out. Here all I can see is padding and no story.
I think I may leave the rest of the books and just buy the last one...if it comes out before I die of old age

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing :(, 6 Jan 2003
C. Donaldson "Ramorak" (England, UK) - See all my reviews
Seeing how this book has been given 5 stars by one other reader I am starting to wonder if I am maybe a bit too shallow for Jordan's epic.
As soon as I saw the book was available I snapped it up, intending to devour it over the Christmas break. Well, devour it I did but only because I was waiting (nay, PRAYING) for something of significance to happen.
OK, several events were set in motion but nothing of import was really _achieved_ and I was left asking myself "Do I really want to buy book 11 anymore?". The answer is of course yes, but only because I know he _can_ make an exciting story and because I have invested too much time not too.
3/4 of the book is recounting the events of Book 9 from the viewpoint of the other players in the story, and the Forsaken (if most of us are guessing correctly) and Rand only make guest appearances. At this rate, the number of different threads that Jordan focuses on in CoT will take another few tomes to complete in and off themselves and if they are recounted in this fashion I seriously doubt I have the stamina for it.
More happened in the first few pages of a friend's book than in the entirety of CoT and I can no longer recommend this series to anyone other than existing fans even though book 9 was for me a return to form that had me waiting with baited breath for book 10.
In summary, could have been worse but could have been so much better.

2.0 out of 5 stars No longer the fight against the dark one...., 1 Jan 2003
Mr. James Lister "Dark Neo" (Rotherham, England) - See all my reviews
but a fight against boredom is the one found myself in reading this latest WOT book. The plain fact of the matter is that very little happens in the book. There is talk of battles to come, but it never really goes anywhere. Characters stay the same and the points that we have all been noticing for three books go unnoticed by the main characters - i compared Egwenes situation to that of a pantomine "he's behind you". Mat is written into a situation that has been prophicised that there really is no surprises to be had there. And Rand, the main character is in the book for less than 30 pages out of the entire 650+ volume. Very disapointing
After the events of the nineth book i had expected it to start on a path that would take us to the final battle. I enjoyed the leed up to the final battle (books 1-9 are my favorite fantasy books) but it seems Mr Jordan is unwilling to take us there just yet. The entire series could do without this book- and i am hoping the wait for the next book won't be long.
Please let the next book have some actual story in it instead of the characters continuing the same situation that they found themselves in, in the previous book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating insights into seating arrangements at meetings, 20 Aug 2003
Vincent Mcburney (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
I rapt with Jordan's rich and complex description of the seating arrangements at a meeting of the Hall in Exile. Many pages were devoted to these seating arrangements about who sat near who and who was surprised, unnerved or unaware of these arrangements. I'm sure after several more books of trivial facts I will learn who these people are and why their seating arrangements are so important.
I was equally rapt about the many pages devoted to the adjustment of clothing such as shawls and skirts.
Just as interesting were the chapters on characters sitting around wondering what to do next. Almost as interesting as the large parties of old and new characters travelling to unknown destinations on an unknown timetable for unknown reasons.
There is a major mistep in this book where the tracks of a group of hell hounds appear. Fortunately the creatures were not sighted and did not go near any characters narrowly avoiding the jarring intrusion of action or suspense into an otherwise pleasant book.
Some people have claimed this book is a setup for book 11. This is incorrect. The blurb on the back cover of this book is a setup for book 11, the contents of this book do not really expand on the blurb and are not a requirement for moving on to book 11.

1.0 out of 5 stars 'Wheel' is stuck in a ditch., 12 Jan 2003
By A Customer
Books one to three of the Wheel of Time were excellent. Books four to nine I found much more tedious - nothing would happen for six hundred pages, then a major plot development would be crammed in right at the end. Book ten is worse - nothing happens at all. Reading this book is like reading a tedious, 700 page prologue. I would have given this 0 out of 5 if I could.
That's not the only problem. With the sheer number of characters that have turned up over the past nine books, it's impossible to remember all of their names, or to recall out what happened to them in earlier books. Unfortunately the text keeps referring to Asha'man and Aes Sedai who were mentioned in passing two or three books back. To make it even harder, all of these minor characters have very similar names, and the glossary is no help.
The stereotyped, un-believable female characters have, for me, been one of WoT's major flaws. Here they are worse than ever - without exception all of the women are now arrogant, men-are-all-idiots, arms-folded-under-breasts caricatures like Nynaeve. It's impossible to have any sympathy for any of them. Even characters who were previously likeable, such as Min, have suddenly converted to this warped pastiche of feminism. This does not make for pleasant reading.
But then, let's face it, if you've already read the first nine books, you're pretty much compelled to read this one. I consider this book a complete waste of money, but I doubt that will stop you from reading it.

2.0 out of 5 stars My 100th purchase with Amazon and my first review!, 18 Mar 2003
I have read with great enjoyment the first 8-9 installments, on relfection I seems that the series peaked with "Lord of Chaos" but some of the volumes since then have also been very readable.
But then...along comes "Twilight...." and the story moves from a reasonable pace to a slow meander with no interesting scenery to look at.
I can't even remember which characters had most of the "air time", it seems that no-one did anything of note, and the interesting subjects (to me) seemed to dry up.
(interesting to me....golem...search for black ajah...Taim)
(not interesting to me...how much lace was on such-and-suches cuffs, how many buttons Elayne had on her coat, etc etc)
The "so called" prologue trumpeted the return of Logan....was he in the book?....Matt manages to almost buy a dress for Tuon...
I shudder to think how long it takes Mr Jordan to explain what he has done with his day to his wife on returning from the office.
That said, I wait with interest for the next installment.
If you're into the series then I suggest you read it...but wait until you can follow it quickly with the next one.

Crossroads Of Twilight: Book 10 of the Wheel of Time
Crossroads Of Twilight: Book 10 of the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (Hardcover - 7 Jan 2003)
Used & New from: 0.01