5.0 out of 5 stars Let the prose wash over you...
...and you will be rewarded. Personally I agree with some of the -ve reviews given here, in that the plot can be confusing at times. However, this seems to be a trait of Clute's work, having read some of his short stories published in Interzone (among others) and, if you ignore the plot and just read, it does not detract at all from the book as a whole.
I had similar...
Published on 24 April 2003 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the lightest of reading
Published on 28 May 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Let the prose wash over you..., 24 April 2003
This review is from: Appleseed (Paperback)
I had similar problems with plot in my younger years reading Moorcock's Cornelius books, where numerous characters would come and go in different guises, and the stories, if there were any, were non-linear. So, if you don't like the style, then you'll probably never like this book, or any of John Clute's work for that matter.
But if you just let the language, the ideas and the absurd, but ultimate rightness, in the tale wash over you, then you will be rewarded by an engrossing and fascinating, if strange, read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the lightest of reading, 28 May 2001
This review is from: Appleseed (Hardcover)
The concept, brilliant, the writing style tedious. The 'Glorious explosion of language and thought' I was told it was on the cover turned out to be long winded rambling and I was completely and thoroughly bored by this book by the time I got half way through chapter two. I did persevere, since I paid good money for the book but frankly it was a bit of a waste of time. As an avid reader of anything science fiction, I have read hundreds of books good and bad, and I hate to say this about anyones work, but this has to be one of the worst. It could have been so good. The idea was there, but the actual storytelling sucked for want of a better expression. Sorry but I would give this one a wide berth unless you suffer from insomnia and then it will probably work better than a sleeping pill!

2.0 out of 5 stars Size of your vocabulary isn't everything, 9 Oct 2003
This review is from: Appleseed (Hardcover)
Mr. Clute was so worried about showing off his gigantic vocabulary and his own shiny, all singing, all dancing, invented lexicon that he forgot to make the story any good.
A good idea buried under a mountain of incomprehensible language that leaves the reader largely guessing what's happening in the 'real' world, as so much of the main protagonist's time is spent literally living in the abstract.
A shame - had this been written in a more accessible style, it could have been a winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dazzling language and a complex plot., 26 April 2001
This review is from: Appleseed (Hardcover)
First of all, this book is not even remotely 'techno-pagan'. It's a complex space opera in a simultaenously expanding and dying, multi species universe and for once 'opera' isn't a euphemism. While Clute's braids are practical devices for the confining of the unutterably smelly and over-sexed human beings, they are also metaphors for the solo voice, increasingly augmented by companions, by the unfolding of personalities, by enemies and by the merely curious until the full beauty of the ensemble is heard. The novel opens out gradually, dazzling with its language and use of metaphor, from the commission gone wrong to the universe defying battle. The aliens are some of the strangest and most convincing I have ever met while the humans force the reader to question what human is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!! - But not for the faint hearted, 17 Jan 2006
This review is from: Appleseed (Paperback)
I loved this book. Like Anthony Burgess (Clockwork Orange) and Jack Womack (e.g. Ambient) Clute has developed his own linguistic trope. I found it almost like reading poetry but I can understand that some people find it hard going. That I suppose is the problem with this kind of book, its great, but you do have to work at it a bit. Then again you could say the same about reading shakespeare or indeed chaucer.
I just hope he writes another.

1.0 out of 5 stars Signal to Noise, 22 Jun 2003
This review is from: Appleseed (Paperback)
Too much noise. Not enough signal. Some of the concepts where OK. He buried its mediocrity under a difficult style.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very hard going, 10 Nov 2002
This review is from: Appleseed (Paperback)
I read this through in a couple of days and at the end of it I had very little idea as to what the story was actually about. Flowery, 'arty' language it may be, it only serves to confuse. Lose your concentration for a second and you'll be completely lost. I tried reading this for a second time to see If I could follow it and still I lost track of what was happening very early on. Maybe people with genius level IQs can follow the story, but I'm fairly confident in the premise that us mere 'casual' sf fans will remain forever flummoxed.

2.0 out of 5 stars My eye are bleeding!, 17 May 2007
This review is from: Appleseed (Paperback)
What a pity Clute spoilt this story by showing us how many weird and wonderful words he knows that many of us have never seen before. Pare away the verbosity of his work and underneath lies a very good story. However, have a dictionary handy beacuse you'll need one. Why use two words when you can use twenty? Oh my eyes, my eyes!

Appleseed
Appleseed by John Clute (Paperback - 4 April 2002)
Used & New from: £0.01