Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 June 2001
I really enjoyed Ken Macleod's earlier books, Stone Canal, Star Fraction and Cassini Division having found them inventive, clever and with excellent plot lines and was looking forward to more of the same quality in Cosmonaut Keep. I was really sorry therefore to find none of the above qualities in this book and I agree with the other reviewier who found this a poor book. The plots are weak and have no substance. I will not bother with the next in the series if this is the level.
on 22 September 2004
This is a mildly interesting book with nothing much new as far as sci fi goes. I spent the first half of the book trying to deal with with the twisting themes and the two different time lines. It seems to be about the past and present of one man who gets caught up in contact with aliens and ends up on another planet. The second half of the book seemed much better and I started enjoying the two parallel stories. Surely a bit more time and clarity in the writing/editing of this book would have made it a gripping if not very deep read. The story became interesting enough that (when I have read other things on my list) I will read the next part (Dark Light). The other very annoying aspect of this book is the really silly politics. Europe taken over by communists?? This authors really hasn't understood the political changes of the last twenty years. Even if we can just forget that, the commie pommies don't ring true and just seem like another lot of plastic Americanesque quasi cyberpunk inventions. If you want to read some modern sci fi this is OK but you could probably find better (Brin, Kress, Marschell Smith etc.)