5.0 out of 5 stars Battle School Times again
As I liked Ender's Game the best out of the 4-part Saga, I loved this return to the Battle School times. The book developes the story of Bean and his arch nemesis Achilles as set out in the previous book, Ender's Shadow. This is set in the backdrop of Battle School grads being vied over by nations in a bid for world dominance, after the fragile global alliance forged in...
Published on 11 Feb. 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but by no means essential.
Where do I start? Ah yes, I first of all read the totally amazing Ender's Game and, after being so astounded by the brilliance of the book, decided to read the rest of the Ender Saga. This was the last book of the Saga which I read.
This book, while gripping in places, is in no way an essential chapter of the Saga. Don't get me wrong, it was OK, it was interesting...
Published on 13 Aug. 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Shadow of the hegemon, 16 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Shadow Of The Hegemon: Book 2 of The Shadow Saga (Paperback)
Shadow of the hegemon

Great sequel to Enders shadow. Can be whipped through pretty quickly too. A must read people who loved Enders game. I even bought it for my mum!

5.0 out of 5 stars Book review, 3 Dec. 2012
Abigail Samuelsen (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
Great book, one of my favorite in the Ender/Shadow series so far. It was very hard to put down! I also bought the book used, but it was just as good as new. I was very pleased.

4.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable follow up to Ender's Shadow, 21 Jun. 2013
A well written book taking forward the lives of the children appearing in Ender's Game/Shadow on their return to earth after the success of defeating the aliens.

4.0 out of 5 stars enders saga shadow saga, 23 Mar. 2014
Really good book, perhaps not the best of the series but the whole thing is definitely worth reading. . .

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book. Shame about the story., 10 Mar. 2001
By A Customer
Book 2 of the Shadow Trilogy...
This is a story which needed to be told, but it is not as compelling as 'Ender's Shadow'. It is a completely differently paced novel.
This is about Beans progression from Ender's right-hand man, to make his own mark in Earth's history, his envolvment in Peter Wiggin's appointment to the Hegemon, and the beginnings of world peace. His growth as a person, and battles with his nemesis Achilles, and his efforts not to let history repeat itself.
'Speaker for the Dead' definately worked better as a sequel than this does for Bean and Peter's stories. The Peter Wiggin of the Ender trilogy is much more calculated than we see in this story, perhaps he is to grow, but I did not see it in this incarnation.
If you expect the pace to flow from 'Ender's Shadow' you will be dissappointed.
Worth reading, but can also be left on the shelf.

2.0 out of 5 stars Samuel Huntington writes SF, 28 May 2002
By A Customer
While having enjoyed most of Card's previous Ender and Shadow series, this book completely disappointed me.
The story evolves around the power fight of the nations and of Achilles to acquire the kids from Battle School, in order to gain control of the world. However, the world that the story is set is quite naive. World politics is set only on the "Clash of the Civilisations" hypothesis by Samuel Huntington, which I find quite unsophisticated. Plus, the supposed caliphate revived in Istanbul trying to rule the Islam world ... Come on !!!
The world in this book is oversimplified and reflects a narrow, backward and unprogressive perspective of humanity. I just hope Mr. Card revises it (as best as he can) in his next book.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Wholly Different Approach, 22 July 2003
Since I picked up 'Ender's Game' by accident and fell in love with Orson Scott-Card's work, I have been impressed by his ability to express very complex plotlines and stunning characters.
However, Shadow of the Hegemon has to stand on my bookcase as one of the worst books I have ever read - for the following two reasons:
o The book is VERY long given the simplicity of the plot
o The author skips between first and third person constantly throughout, giving me a headache
I have to say that I would heartily recommend the Ender's Game series, and the first Shadow Trilogy book; however it took an enourmous amount of willpower and sheer stubbornness to finish this book. I cannot express my dissatisfaction with this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Now I remember why I stopped reading science fiction, 11 Aug. 2002
By A Customer
I grew up, that's why. I read this on holiday as it was one of only a few English language books in the hotel. Pretentious, overblown, ridiculous. Those words don't even begin to cover it. Maybe I am being unfair to the genre, although the pompousness of it all rang a bell from science fiction that I have come across in the past. However this book is ludicrous in its portrayal of politics and military planning. Its plotting is confused and not in a good way. The characterisation of all but the core characters is flimsy and lightweight. Also, unless you have a strong stomach, avoid reading the nausea inducing self justification that constitutes the epilogue. More than a tad pleased with himself is Mr. Card. If you want to read about military planning try Anthony Beevor. If you want to read historical fiction, try James Ellroy. If you insist on science fiction, stick to Philip K. Dick. His work at least has the saving graces of being well written, genuinely weird and funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars I think this will be a good conclusion, 31 Jan. 2001
By A Customer
I think Shadow of the Hemegon will be an excellent book, and a worthy expansion of Ender's legacy. If you have read the other books of the Series, mainly Children of the Mind, you come to wonder what happens to Peter Wiggin, the first Hemegon. From this title, I think this will show more about Peter than anything else. Probably a good buy.

Shadow Of The Hegemon: Book 2 of The Shadow Saga
Shadow Of The Hegemon: Book 2 of The Shadow Saga by Orson Scott Card (Paperback - 4 Oct. 2001)
Used & New from: £0.01