5.0 out of 5 stars Battle School Times again
Published on 11 Feb 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but by no means essential.
Where do I start? Ah yes, I first of all read the totally amazing Ender's Game and, after being so astounded by the brilliance of the book, decided to read the rest of the Ender Saga. This was the last book of the Saga which I read.
Published on 13 Aug 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but by no means essential., 13 Aug 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Shadow Of The Hegemon: Book 2 of The Shadow Saga (Hardcover)
This book, while gripping in places, is in no way an essential chapter of the Saga. Don't get me wrong, it was OK, it was interesting reading about Peter's gradual rise to Hegemony, the sub-plot with Bean was good, but overall I don't think I would have been too upset had I not read this book...

5.0 out of 5 stars Battle School Times again, 11 Feb 2001
By A Customer
As I liked Ender's Game the best out of the 4-part Saga, I loved this return to the Battle School times. The book developes the story of Bean and his arch nemesis Achilles as set out in the previous book, Ender's Shadow. This is set in the backdrop of Battle School grads being vied over by nations in a bid for world dominance, after the fragile global alliance forged in the face of war has shattered. It's all strategy, wits and gambling on the tables again, and a fantastic return to the beginnings.
What can i say, as usual an inspiring read--Card is a great writer who can create this kind of magic about his characters. I waited so long for the paperback till a friend took pity and bought this for me, and i finished it in three go's. It's a jewel of a story, and everyone should read the whole saga!

2.0 out of 5 stars Tactics doesn't make strategy!, 30 Oct 2001
Normann Aaboe Nielsen (Odder Denmark) - See all my reviews
I have been thinking a lot of what is wrong with this book. Finally, I conclude that the problem is the basic startingpoint. The book is a follow-up on "Enders Shaddow" and - of course - "Enders Game". In these books the idea of teaching brilliant children the rules of tactical decisions is taken to the limit, and that is very well done. But the problem with this book is that the children also is assumed to be strategic geniuses. And here it all fall to pieces, because the author does not know his way around Asia and the world.
By hart, Orson Scott Card is American, as is clearly stated in his afterword - and he doesn't like the Democrats (esp. Clinton). OK, but why do I as a European wish to know that?
Also, Scott Card has perhaps been to Asia, and he might even have visited Thailand - but obviously not that much time! The description of downtown Bangkok is pathetic and simply bad writing. And as to the description of how China, India and Pakistan rally against each other - no, that is not good enough.
Back to the attic again, mr. Scott Card - this book is not one of your best!

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading title, good book., 26 Jun 2001
By A Customer
I liked Shadow of the Hegemon just fine. It is not on a par with Ender's Shadow or with Ender's Game, but as someone else pointed out: the story needed telling, and it is great to read.
However, I was disappointed in the way Peter ascends to the position of Hegemon. The title suggests that we learn about this in detail, but really it just more or less happens at some point in the book.
Maybe Card is setting up an angle to write another series of books about Peter, but that would seem strange, because in this book sometimes the focus shifts away from Bean and to Peter's own thoughts and experiences. How can Card build on that for another series?
My conclusion: The book is more than worth your while. There are a lot of cliffhangers to anticipate the next two announced books and the story itself captured me completely. This is however by no means the best book of the series, and more of an in-between than a seperate work. You might want to wait reading it until the third Shadow book goes on sale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Battle School Times again, 11 Feb 2001

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable, 4 Oct 2001
By A Customer
We can all agree the book's not as great as Ender's Game - but when you start the comparing game, your views get totally screwed up. OF COURSE it wasn't as great as Ender's Game. But compared to OTHER books, Shadow of the Hegemon is superior. Lovely book, deep, and intruiging. A must-read for all avid Ender fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars enders saga shadow saga, 23 Mar 2014
Really good book, perhaps not the best of the series but the whole thing is definitely worth reading. . .

4.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable follow up to Ender's Shadow, 21 Jun 2013
A well written book taking forward the lives of the children appearing in Ender's Game/Shadow on their return to earth after the success of defeating the aliens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shadow of the hegemon, 16 Jan 2013
Shadow of the hegemon

Great sequel to Enders shadow. Can be whipped through pretty quickly too. A must read people who loved Enders game. I even bought it for my mum!

5.0 out of 5 stars Book review, 3 Dec 2012
Abigail Samuelsen (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
Great book, one of my favorite in the Ender/Shadow series so far. It was very hard to put down! I also bought the book used, but it was just as good as new. I was very pleased.

Shadow Of The Hegemon: Book 2 of The Shadow Saga
Shadow Of The Hegemon: Book 2 of The Shadow Saga by Orson Scott Card (Hardcover - 1 Feb 2001)
Used & New from: 0.01