Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 February 2006
Very rarely do you come across a piece of children’s literature which is as exquisite as this. This simple yet highly imaginative tale relates the story of a little boy who takes his evening stroll hand-in-hand with the moon. Not only are the full-page illustrations delightful but they are accompanied by a few lines per page - just the right amount of text for little ones! More importantly, the story itself is composed of some of the most lyrical children’s poetry that I have come across. When combined, the pictures and verse create a gentle, whimsical tale that is perfect as the last story before lights out. My one year old adores it for the visuals and the rhythm whilst the older children love it for the beautiful imagery and delightful fantasy. This is children’s literature at its very best.
Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous...
on 17 June 2009
I first got this book from the library and my 17month old daughter loved it so much I have now bought it. It is a beautiful poem about a little boy walking through the night with the moon. The illustrations are wonderful, with lots of detail for toddlers to point out. It has really helped with my daughter's vocabulary.
on 5 January 2010
lovely book with great pictures. my daughter loves this book and i enjoy reading it.
on 31 August 2007
I wasn't immediately taken by this book in the library, but 20 month year old insisted, so home it came. Now I'm on-line to buy one of our own as the library book has gone back but she's still asking for the 'moon book', and I'm kind of missing it too, even though we read it 3 times a day for 3 weeks!
It really is lovely- an original, imaginative story, well written with superb art work. A great idea for a story- and it's even got moon/ night time facts and suggestions for making your own similar story for older kids at the back.
on 12 October 2012
I bought this book for my daughter's second birthday and two months on it is now one of her firm favourites. The book is larger than I expected for a board book which was a nice surprise and is good and sturdy so holds up well to the inevitable rough treatment from a two year old. The illustrations are lovely and the more you study each page the more you find to chat about together as you read the book.

The story itself is just long enough to hold a little one's attention and the prose has a wonderful lyrical quality which really seems to appeal to a young child. My little girl is busily learning to speak at present and has asked to hear the story so often that she can now sit and recite parts of it herself as she looks at the pictures which gives her a lovely sense of achievement.

I can see this book becoming one of those that is kept for years to come to serve as a reminder of these special early years.
on 17 February 2010
This is a wonderful book. I have many from the same line and my 20 month old son just loves them. This is the one he picks out on his own to read over and over. It's what I think a bed time story should be. We both love it!
on 4 February 2013
Bought this for my two year old as he developed a sudden obsession with the moon. It's a beautiful book, exquisite illustrations and a lovely, almost heart-melting story. What I wasn't prepared for was my lad becoming so transfixed that he wanted to sleep with it under his pillow, after much negotiation we eventually get to a point where he will put the book to bed (bookcase) because it's tired from all the reading and the moon needs a sleep too. He was completely transfixed, I have to read it at least a couple of times to him every night and he won't have another book read to him at the mo.
on 17 April 2014
Reading to my boisterous moon-obsessed toddler is no easy feat. He is constantly on the go, hardly stopping for most books unless they feature his favourite things. So I bought this book with the moon taking centre stage. This is one of the books he will sit still for, aided by the flowing rhythm of the poem. Although he can't speak many words yet, he has started to follow this soft rhythm by singing along as I read. At last, some progress!
on 18 May 2016
On our way home from preschool my son and I often pretend we are walking home with the moon so we can show it to Dad when we get there. So I thought this book would be charming.

The pictures are beautiful, but the story is almost nonexistent, and the choice of words / expressions is really fun strange for it's audience.

Will tactfully donate when the boy isn't looking.
on 15 November 2012
I bought this to read to my two year old and she absolutely loves it, and asked for it before bed several times last week! It is a wonderful dreamy tale, beautifully illustrated. The barefoot company who publish it do not seem to be sold it the main highstreet book stores like Waterstones - shame on them!