VINE VOICEon 30 January 2010
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Rink is a small boy with an unusual problem: every full-moon he grows flowers from his head. This makes him shy and withdrawn at school, until a popular new girl joins his class and Rink creates the perfect present for her.

This colourful, well-drawn picture book with its happy ending makes a perfect bed-time story for younger children. I'm not sure that the volcabulary always matches the capabilities of the intended age-group and I was surprised to encounter a reference to "shape-shifters" in the first few pages (Rink comes from an unusual family). Likewise, mentions of "creek" and "green-fingered" may also puzzle youthful ears but overall this is a very pleasing debut from US writer Jen Wojtowicz and her experienced illustrator-collaborator Steve Adams.
on 14 March 2010
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I really wanted to like this book as the artwork is so beautiful and I think to the right person it would make a really nice present. To it's credit my 6 year old son, who is mainly interested in aliens and dinosaurs, has sat very quietly and listened avidly to the book on the 2 occasions that I have read it to him. It opened up discussions on people being different and acceptance but the flowers growing out of the boys head seems to have unnerved him and he won't have it read to him anymore.
It's a nice story but I am not really sure what age group will enjoy it. The concepts are a bit other worldy for younger children but the story too simple for older children. It's still a nice book to have and maybe my daughter will appreciate more when she is older.
VINE VOICEon 10 February 2010
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a genuinely honest and simple book with an underlying message about disabilities and the way that children do not see the disability and can often find ways to get around and accept and cope with it !
It has beautiful bold and brightly coloured pictures with plenty of detail that can provoke discussion and further story telling .
A small criticism : some of the text is very modern in some parts but in reality this is often how children hear speech in real life and from TV these days.
I think it will be great as a bedtime story and can be read and re-read over again.
on 24 December 2009
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is an unusual and exceptionally beautiful children's story book. There is a lot of text, so it is a book for reading to children rather than for them to read. The story is unusual - I shan't give it away, but let me just saay that the title doesn't mean what you think it does!

In one or two places the story is just a tiny bit sentimental, in a way that had my mother and sister going "ahhh....", which makes me think that the story will be enjoyed more by older girls than by older boys. All the same I really enjoyed it, and the illustrations are beautiful.
VINE VOICEon 22 July 2010
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
What beautiful illustrations, and the setting (which seems to be the rustic, southern US)catches the imagination and gives it a tangy flavour - even the names, such as 'Rink Bowagon' are fun to say, in a pleasingly exotic way. Kind of 'Southern Gothic' for kids! I do agree, however, with the reviewers who found the theme a bit heavy-handed and the story unmemorable and a bit bland, in contrast to the illustrations. It's in keeping with (as I see it) an increasingly moralistic "all play nicely together" tone in children's books.
on 23 January 2011
We were in a restaurant (Giraffe) when we saw this box of books for children. All were of good quality, but amongst them was this beautful bookwith an unusual title.
We jotted down the title etc and after searching for it on Amazon we purchased it for our grandaughters in the US. It is a lovely story and is beautifully illustrated a must for every young child, who will enjoy reading it or being read to. The words and illustration will inspire a child and enhance their imagination.
VINE VOICEon 30 December 2009
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As with all books from Barefoot books emphasis is placed on a story well told and presented beautifully.

I enjoyed the gentle story, although I wondered to what age range it was pitched. As a teacher, I would find it most useful as an aid for SEAL/PSHE lessons with its underlying story of weirdness and difference. I probably wouldn't read it to under 5s. However, reading some of the other positive reviews by people who have maybe I need to try it out for myself.
VINE VOICEon 19 February 2010
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have mixed views on this book. The artwork is beautiful, and that does make for a lovely book overall.

The actual story is a story of friendship, and of acceptance, but for a story such as this, it does seem a little short and simple.

My 10 year old returned it to me saying it was 'ok', and my 5 year old showed no interest. I will offer to read it with her again in a short while.
on 26 November 2008
I've never seen difference, as in from one's peers, explained in such an charming way before - Rink, who grows flowers out of his head every full moon, is the class loner, and ends up with the most popular girl in school! And the illustrations are quite simply beautiful. This is a book which will appeal to a vast age range thanks to the gorgeous artwork and delightful story.
on 7 January 2010
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a really lovely tale. My three year old daughter sat quietly and enjoyed the pictures whilst i read her the story. Like a traditional fairytale this story has a morale incorporated into the story. An enjoyable way to discuss the differences between individuals.