5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book
The pictures are lovely. The story is lovely. There is a section at the end on how to pronounce the numbers, names and animals in Swahili as well as facts about Tanzania and a map. This is an excellent book beautifully illustrated and thought out.
Published on 28 April 2003 by Viv Chamberlin-Kidd

3.0 out of 5 stars Safari story
I liked the book initially but have since found other books that were more engaging for the children in my class.
Published 20 months ago by frequent customer LFB

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 28 April 2003
This review is from: We All Went on Safari: A Counting Journey Through Tanzania (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely pictures, lovely story, excellent book, 14 Jun. 2003
This book is lovely. The pictures are excellent, the story is lovely and my son of 21 months loves it. It covers counting in English (and Swahali!!) and has ten different animals along the way. At the end it also has a map, facts about the Maasai people and pronounciation guides for the names of the children involved in the safari and for the numbers. A brilliant buy!! Another excellent book from barefoot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 7 Mar. 2009
Mr "richardedwardhood" (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
I am a primary school teacher and work with 4-5 year olds. This is a great book a fun story which also gives lots of information about Tanzania. The class loved the story and we all enjoyed learning to count in Swahili and also finding out the different Swahili names for the animals in the book! A great read for at home or to teach from. Highly recomended!

5.0 out of 5 stars We all went on safari, 11 Jun. 2009
S. Stone - See all my reviews
This book is popular with the children and useful for Early Years practitioners because it gives opportunities for the children to count in english and swahili. Counting is regularly done, so the children now speak and use another language! There is additional information about Tanzania, the Maasai people, and wildlife, including swahili animal names and is a good starting point for a theme which links to learning about the Maasai community and life in Tanzania.

5.0 out of 5 stars We all went on safari, 31 Mar. 2010
Excellent! Highly recommended! My 2 year old loves the pictures, the animals, the counting,the poetry, the cultural aspect. The info on Tanzania at the back is interesting and means that this book will last through to Primary School. Also check out other barefoot books. We have secret seahorse too which is also excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Musical Safari, 28 July 2009
C. Cable (Devon) - See all my reviews
I loved this book and so did my Foundation /Year 1 class. The story made an excellent 'springboard' for a music class/short assembly piece for the class. Not only did the children learn to count up to 10 in African, but they were able to dramatise the role of the children in the book and have great fun being part of an 'orchestra'choosing a musical instrument to represent each of the animals. I especially liked the information given about each of the animals and what the childrens names meant.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Total Delight, 10 April 2013
I absolutely loved this book. We All Went on Safari is a counting picture book for young children, which also teaches them how to count to ten in another language - Swahili! It is tremendous fun, and after all, since the Maasai people are globally known; what better way of introducing young children to them and their culture than with a beautifully produced book such as this.
A group of Maasai women and children, accompanied by a Maasai warrior, take themselves on a short safari across the Serengeti where they encounter various wild animals, counting them in rhyme as they go; "We all went on safari, Among herds that intermix, We followed woolly wildebeests, Watende counted six". The illustrations are simply gorgeous with their vibrant colours and wonderful depictions of the Maasai and their lands and wildlife.
Having learnt to count to ten (the numbers are depicted on each page thus: 1 - moja, 2 - mbili), the learning process continues at the back of the book with pictures and short facts about the animals of the Serengeti and their names in Swahili, the character's names in Swahili with their meanings, facts about Tanzania (including a useful map) and numbers one to ten again in Swahili with an illustrated guide. Completely irresistible from beginning to end, this is a real must for any child's bookshelf!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just t bit different, 8 April 2012
I bought this as we were having a sort of African theme at school with Handa's surprise. I thought it was great that the names were traditional to that area and are explained in the back, that the numbers were in both languages so that the children could count in a difficult language. I liked the settings with the different animals and it makes a good talking point - could we go on a safari? what animals would we see if walked in our country? We also talk about what they are wearing, where is tanzania and lots of other points to talk about. There is explanation at the back of the book and it tells you how to pronounce the letters so there is information to be had not just a counting book. All these things make it differenet and more interesting than your average children's counting book and my little 5 year old liked it - especially pronouncing the numbers

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant design, 29 Jun. 2010
My daughter loves this book. The pictures are bright and colourful and beautifully drawn. It has really given her an introduction to another country. She enjoys saying the numbers and animal names in Swahili. Good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Take it to Tanzania!, 30 July 2014
Bought this as my daughter was going to Tanzania on a University field trip and as a bit of fun. In the end I believe it did get passed around the 4x4. This book works both ways in teaching English to Swahili and of couse Swahili to English.

For those that visit orphanages/schools etc in Tanzania - pop some in your day bag next time - unfortunately the one day my daughter could have passed it on she didn't have it with her

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

We All Went on Safari: A Counting Journey Through Tanzania
We All Went on Safari: A Counting Journey Through Tanzania by Laurie Krebs (Hardcover - 6 Mar. 2003)
Used & New from: £7.90