5.0 out of 5 stars Learning can be beautiful, 7 Mar 2006
This review is from: You and Me (Hardcover)
This book has few words - a short rhyming sentence on each page accompanied by one of two characters in picture form, covering early learning themes of opposites alongside nature, animals, weather, shapes and vocabulary expansion. It therefore has appeal to girls and boys, those beginning to read or developing literacy, as well as parents generally. It reflects well little peoples imaginatory capacity showing the children become animals, squares etc and could be acted out as well. The water colour like pictures haze accross the page and have borders alongside detailed pictures to discover, identify and name other related childhood objects. The art work and ideas are really beautiful and are in line with other Barefoot Books/Steiner type materials ie children can appreciate and benefit from serious, thoughtful and detailed books. A beautiful, different picture book that aids early learning and promotes the message of individuality, creativity and acceptance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, imaginative, lovely illustrations, 20 Feb 2010
Mr. G. Mrs C. Nixon (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You and Me (Hardcover)
I'm so glad I found this book - it made the perfect present for a friend who'd given birth to boy/girl twins! It's unique in that the concept is quite abstract e.g. I'm a valley, you're a hill; I'm wild, you're tame... with illustrations of the boy or girl 'acting out' each meaning e.g. the girl lying in a valley, the boy standing on a hill; the girl dressed up as a lion in the wild, the boy dressed up as a cat, curled on the rug by the fire. The last page is 'I'm you, you're me' and it's just a lovely, poignant way of illustrating every person's uniqueness. It's also great for visualising opposites & learning words they might otherwise not. I have to say though that I also bought the board book version which I much prefer; this hardcover format has paper pages and so is less durable. I've read it to my 2 year old and he loves it, though I think it would be even more appropriate for older children, say 3 -5s.

You and Me
You and Me by Giovanni Manna (Hardcover - 30 Sep 2000)
Used & New from: 0.01