‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Enid Blyton books, 16 Oct 2002
This review is from: The Secret Island (Hardcover)
This is the first of the Enid Blyton "Secret" series.
When Mike, Peggy and Nora's parents disappear in a plane crash they are sent to live with their cruel Aunt and Uncle. With the help of a resourceful friend called Jack, they escape to a secret island where they live together, successfully evading discovery until they're reunited with their parents. Although dated, this is still a very exciting story if you're about seven. It's fine for confident readers, and the chapters are a prefect length for bedtime reading. I enjoyed it as much now as when I was a child!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!!, 2 Dec 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Secret Island (Paperback)
I read this book a year or so ago for the first time since I was a child. It gripped me then as it had done all those years before. A wonderful story from an age so long gone. If you have children, or you fancy a bit of escapism yourself, read this book. You won't regret it. I have never enjoyed a book more in my life!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars a secret treasure, 12 Feb 2004
mfl (london) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Secret Island (Hardcover)
I doubt whether Enid Blyton books are read much these days, or are even marketed. Shame because Secret Island is one of the best books ever written for children. The Famous Five, the Secret Seven, go down in history as Blyton's legacy, yet this book and the series it lead to, is largely forgotten.
Adventure, self suffiency, independence are all developed to the fore; you are there, you feel, it's a summer holiday that means something. It's a simple tale of four kids and a cow (!) running away from wicked guardian aunts and uncles to a deserted lake island and fashioning their own survival - there's a few survival tips thrown in for good measure too.
Yes maybe it's a little dated now, but aren't most of the greatest children's books ever written? For sure it retains an absolute charm and a resonance that chimes. Perhaps children's tastes are much more sophisticated in the 21st century but Blyton still has the touch to teach the Potter fans about the real world beyond fantasy.
As for where you find the Blyton books outside of the aforementioned more "famous" series, you'll be hard pushed to find any high street bookseller that chooses to grace their shelves with the Secret series. So here's your chance.
8 -14? Give it a go. Older? Buy it for your kids and then remind yourself.
A great story from the most inspired writer of her time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood independence, 26 Sep 2004
This review is from: The Secret Island (Hardcover)
Having read a review by a previous reader I felt compelled to write my own review. As an only child I was a compulsive reader, spent most of my pocket money on books, adored Enid Blyton and, when the time came to leave home and for me to "rationlise" my worldly goods, in a fit of wanting others to have as much enjoyment out of books as I had had, gave the majority of my books away to younger cousins - Famous Five, Secret Seven (whole series of both), Flambards, Noel Streatfield and many others. However, I could not part from The Secret Island - my daughter now has it and also loves Enid Blyton. Of all her books this one I read so many times it is almost falling apart - that mixture of incredible adventure, strong childhood friendship, sticking together against all odds, grown ups who do not understand you, living your life the way you want it rather than in a way that is imposed upon you ... and .... on a secret island - what bliss!
There has to be some mystery in life, some escapism, where you can simply just enjoy rather than constantly adhering to political correctness, or to what is expected of you in society. Read it, escape into it, let your imagination roam, read it for yourself, to your children and let them read it. Simply wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars ...HUNT THIS BOOK DOWN!..., 13 May 2002
By A Customer
This was one of the very few books that I read over and over again throughout my childhood. The story line centres around a group of children who escape their mean 'ol aunty and uncle - (and grandfather) to live a life of freedom on a deserted island in the middle of a lake. This was, and still is, something that really appealed to me. I WANTED TO BE WITH THEM! They catch and grow their own food, build a little house, and have adventures. Sigh. I wont spoil the rest of the book, but honestly wish that I could find my copy of it. Ah well, take my advice and HUNT THIS BOOK DOWN!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book ever!, 19 Oct 2005
This review is from: The Secret Island (Hardcover)
This is the very best book I've ever read. This book shaped and developed and encouraged my love of nature, wilderness, survival and escapism. It is truly a wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring children's book, 3 April 2008
This review is from: The Secret Island (Hardcover)
My 8 year old daughter loved this book. Enid Blyton manages to make the utterly unrealistic seem completely plausible. Four children manage to live in secret on an island when they escape from their cold-hearted relatives. They even bring over a cow and some hens! They have the most wonderful time, build a house and plant their own crops. They eat the strangest meals but they always sound delicious. They stay one step ahead of the grown-ups and are endlessly resourceful. Complete escapism for children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this one to your kids!, 2 Jan 2008
Sylvia (Wales, U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret Island (Hardcover)
I started by reading my kids my favourite childhood Enid Blyton book 'The Faraway Tree' - it was such a hit with them that I have been going through all the books I remember by her.
The Secret Island was one that I never read as a child so I have had as much fun as them reading it.
The best thing about her books is that one chapter a night is the perfect length to read out loud to your kids.
I have a 7 yr old boy and a 3 yr old girl and they both enjoy her books.
Don't think that a book like this is irrelevant to todays kids either - The Secret Island is about a group of kids surviving on an Island alone - what could be more relevant today than self sufficiency, recycling and eco - living?????
I reccomend this one - as well as The Faraway Tree series and Wishing Chair series - I guarantee you that Mummy and Daddy will be fighting over who's turn it is to read the next chapter!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Secret Island, 29 Nov 2003
This review is from: The Secret Island (Hardcover)
Enid Blyton's The Secret Island is the book that most impressed itself on my childhood memory. I was fascinated and spellbound by the childrens' adventures on the island. When my seven year old daughter found the book in a second hand book shop I read it with the same enjoyment as I had when I was seven years old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Nostalgia, 19 Jun 2008
This review is from: The Secret Island (Hardcover)
This has to be one of the best books I ever read as a child and I'm so glad to have re discovered it. Even now, reading Secret Island again, I'm making my plans with Jack, Peggy, Mike and Nora. (Sorry, but nowadays, I'd have to pack more blankets!) Today's children are cocooned in a fast food, overtly safety conscious, politically correct, hi-tech virtual reality culture. Let's break free and sail across the lake unsupervised, explore caves, construct a shelter from willow branches, grow our own vegetables, build a fire and eat wild strawberries. This story is gloriously free not only of greenfly, but also of the deep psychological insights, tragedy and trauma that seem to have tipped the scales of worthy children's literature. There is a place on the shelves for adventure stories which, although idealistic, evoke a 'never-never land' time of innocence, the joy of making do and simple human decency in the face of wrong. Pure childhood nostalgia.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Secret Island (Secret Series)
The Secret Island (Secret Series) by Enid Blyton (Paperback - 1 May 2009)
Used & New from: 3.41