5.0 out of 5 stars Made me cry....
Published on 20 Feb 2008 by Mrs. Billi Street

2.0 out of 5 stars Cannot find any love for this book
Published on 7 Nov 2011 by C. O'Neill

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me cry...., 20 Feb 2008
Mrs. Billi Street (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Giraffes Can't Dance (Paperback)
I bought this book after reading so many good reviews on this site. I couldn't even get through it without crying!!! That may have been an over-reaction but it really is a wonderful story and the illustrations are beautiful. Definitely my favourite book in my daughter's collection (and let's face it, it's just as important for the parents to love the kid's books as they're the ones reading them out loud every day of their lives!).

5.0 out of 5 stars "Don't judge a book by it's cover????", 15 Mar 2003
Paula Knott (MARCH,, Cambs. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Giraffes Can't Dance (Hardcover)
Another wonderful book from Giles Andreae. The other animals laugh at Gerald the Girafe because gangly "Girafes can't Dance" but Gerald learns from an unusual source that he can dance wonderfully when he can hear his own music. A real treaure that teaches children and adults alike that appearances can be deceptive and we must look past the cover. Look past this books cover and you find yourself on a magical road to self awareness. A great tool for discussing all forms of prejudice or just a wonderfully funny book. Read and enjoy whilst reader and child learn a valuable lesson for life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 9 Dec 2001
hejosi@mail.dk (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Giraffes Can't Dance (Paperback)
Giraffes can't dance is simply a wonderful book that teaches children that not everyone is the same, and that everyone has hidden talents. A humorous and well illustrated work. Highly recomended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two left feet?, 28 May 2002
By A Customer
I've just purchased a "big book" edition of this to use with reception class. It's a great, light-hearted story about a bandy-legged giraffe with two left feet who turns out to be a brilliant boogier, with the right kind of music, and a little help from a cricket of course! The kids will love this one- its got bold colourful illustrations and plenty of humour to boot. What's more there's a nice message in amongst the rhyming narrative- that we're all different and even if we find we cannot do something- if we try again and look for new ways then anything is possible!

5.0 out of 5 stars Giraffes Can't Dance, 29 Jun 2002
A brilliant book, with fantastic illustrations. The verse moves with pace and read aloud to children immediately catches their imagination. The jungle animals are shown dancing but poor Gerald the giraffe feels very clumsy until he meets a friendly cricket. A tale with a moral, we may all be different but 'Sometimes all we need is a different song to dance to'. The audio tape is equally briliant. Not only do you have the verse read by Hugh Laurie but the music to accomapany each dance. An excellent introduction to different kinds of music, so rare these days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, must have read for all children!, 6 Oct 2004
This review is from: Giraffes Can't Dance (Paperback)
My daughter has enjoyed this brilliant book since the age of two, now aged four she 'reads' the rhymes to all of her dolls on a weekly basis enjoying every minute.
This book captures the imaginations of all children through rhyme and fun, whilst delivering the important message that even though we may all be different, we all are able to achieve our dreams when we find our ' music that we love!'

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and even moving in places!, 30 Aug 2001
This review is from: Giraffes Can't Dance (Paperback)
Gerald is a giraffe and an outcast until one day he lets go of his inhibitions. The illustrations and alliteration make this a favourite for both me, aged 31 and my nephew Billy, aged four and a bit. Its written by the bloke who does Purple Ronnie.

5.0 out of 5 stars we all love this book and all know the words off by heart, 7 Aug 2001
This review is from: Giraffes Can't Dance (Paperback)
This is the favourite book of our 2 year old daughter, we all love the illustrations;it has just the right amount of meaning-full but fun words on every page - a must for any house with young children.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cannot find any love for this book, 7 Nov 2011
C. O'Neill - See all my reviews
This review is from: Giraffes Can't Dance (Paperback)
Something about this book rubs me up the wrong way. The illustrations are great but both my wife and I feel sad and disappointed at the end of the book. Our son enjoys it, so I guess that's what matters. The text is a little stilted and repetitive ("I am dancing, yes I'm dancing, I am dancing", Gerald cried. - Yeah, we get it, you're dancing, well done.). But I feel the book is sending out the wrong message. It finally dawned on me last night what it is that bothers me, and it's this:
The giraffe never says that he would ever like to, or would love to dance. He simply goes along to a jungle dance and is mocked and taunted by everyone there. So he leaves, saddened, but with the help of a cricket learns how to dance, and then gains praise from those who made fun of him. This doesn't express a sentiment of individuality, or a celebration of being different. And so what if he can't dance, or is a little clumsy, he may have other talents that make him special and unique. Why try to impress those who mock you?
In the end I feel sad that the giraffe was taunted into proving himself to selfish, thoughtless animals who didn't care that they were hurting his feelings.

But like I said, my 2yr old enjoys it, and his opinion is what matters here!!

5.0 out of 5 stars a favourite!, 22 Feb 2013
This review is from: Giraffes Can't Dance (Board book)
Bought this as a christmas present for a two year old boy to encourage his interest in books. He loves it! it is one of few books that he sits still and listens to throughout. Full of interesting and colourful eye catching pictures that encourage discussion. It reads easily and the words flow well which helps catch the childs attention. Would recommend to any parent/child who enjoys story time!!

Giraffes Can't Dance
Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andreae (Paperback - 12 July 2001)
4.00