Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 February 2004
The book is beautifully told and illustrated, complete with glitter on the cover to catch the eye of young children. Particularly suitable for girls, this book captures the imagination and draws you in to the story using simple yet effective language. It also touches upon many subjects in an unobtrusive manner such as single parent families and choosing between right and wrong. Jane Ray has managed to capture magic and place it between the leaves of the book, unravelling in the mermaid's hair blowing in the breeze and the vivid descriptions provided. The layout of the book varies from page to page, which makes it exciting to read, the text speaking to you differently on different pages, for example, during the terrible storms that are described, the writing swirls about the page, up and down, in much the same way that the sea would being bashed against the harbour walls. The narrator's thoughts and the speech of the mermaid are in italics, which makes it easy for the children to distinguish between who is talking and also adds a sense of mystery to the words.
on 19 August 2003
We got this book from the library for my 7 year old who is mad about mermaids and were bowled over by the lovely illustrations and the haunting story
My daughter totally understood the main character Eliza wanting to keep Freya the mermaid but in the end she was pleased that Eliza let her return to the sea.
A magical picture book and we shall definatly be ordering our own copy.
on 17 September 2003
Can You Catch a Mermaid was a delight to read with my 5 year old daughter. The illustrations are warm and colourful. The story captures and keeps the attention of small ones. I particularly like the fact that the characters aside from the mermaid are a single parented family. Furthermore, I was pleased to see that this single parented family is comprised of a father and daughter. I am a single mom with a daughter, and I think it is good for her to know that there are single dads with kids.
Aside from being impressed with the illustrations, we both enjoyed the story.
I highly recommend this book and give it 5+ stars!
on 19 September 2003
Like all four-year-olds, I guess, my daughter has a thing about Mermaids, but I found this story to be more touching, more beautifully illustrated that the other mermaid tale which she is most familiar with - notably The Little Mermaid (both Disney and otherwise).
It tells the story of a little girl who befriends a strange young girl who she meets on the beach, while her father is out in his fishing boat. When she discovers that this stranger is actually a mermaid, she is reluctant to let her return to the sea and prevents her from doing so (without wishing to give the entire game away).
It is a rather chilling tale, with more than a hint of ghostliness to it, but which captures all young girls' obsessions with the idea of being a mermaid.
on 19 September 2003
A lovely book, enjoyed by both myself and my daughter (5), gorgeous, detailed pictures. A must for all mermaid lovers.
on 21 August 2010
My daughter(4)really loves this book, and it's one of my absolute favorites to read to her, as I enjoy it as much as she does! Beautifully written and illustrated, and we are both enchanted by the end. Highly recommended.
on 3 February 2010
My daughter was given this book with CD for her 5th birthday and a year later she still loves listening to it at bedtime, I'm surprised it's not worn out!! The pictures are absolutely beautiful and the story very thought provoking about a young girls attachment to a mermaid and her ultimate realisation that she must let her go back to the sea. I would highly recommend it.
on 8 February 2011
A beautiful picture book, where the illustrations and layout of the text complement the ideas of the story. As well as being an engaging story, playing on the usual myths of mermaids, it touches on loneliness and the needs of friendship. A good mermaid story for children of 4 or 5 to enjoy but with enough depth and subtlety to make slightly older children think.
on 11 September 2010
This is a truly lovely story where good finally prevails. It is very well written and beautifully illustrated. I met the author/illustrator in a cafe in a Devon seaside village earlier this summer and in conversation discovered she was an accomplished artist/author. She told me her inspiration for this book had been seaside holidays with her family in Devon, so being a local person I wanted to read it and share it with children I work with. It was a pleasure to meet Jane Ray, a friendly, modest lady, and a pleasure also to read her book.
on 30 January 2011
Beautifully written.
Beautifully illustrated.
Touching story.
Positive father/daughter relationship based on sensitivity rather than heroism.
Empowering message with daughter arriving at conclusions herself and have to disagree with the reviewer who claims there wasn't enough character development - there's plenty and an appropriate level of thought provoking challenge.