5.0 out of 5 stars Can you Catch a Mermaid? A tale to remember
The book is beautifully told and illustrated, complete with glitter on the cover to catch the eye of young children. Particularly suitable for girls, this book captures the imagination and draws you in to the story using simple yet effective language. It also touches upon many subjects in an unobtrusive manner such as single parent families and choosing between right and...
Published on 25 Feb. 2004 by Karen

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully illustrated
As pointed out by one of the earlier reviewers, my daughter (5) immediately noticed the glitter on the cover in the bookshop, read the title and decided that her search for a book to take home was over!
This is a beautifully illustrated book with the pictures conveying the mood of each page in an enchanting, almost haunting way. However I do think that in a book this...
Published on 29 May 2004 by Alan Simpson

5.0 out of 5 stars An enchanting mermaid tale., 29 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Can You Catch a Mermaid? (Paperback)
My 5 year old daughter is mermaid mad and I bought this book on the strength of the other reviews. It is such a beautiful and enchanting tale - both the story itself and the almost ethereal illustrations. The underlying messages are about selflessness and the value of friendship - such important lessons for children to learn but delivered in such a wonderful non preachy way. I love sharing this book with my daughter; it's her current favourite bedtime story and imagine it will remain so for some time to come. I highly recommend this book for Mermaid lovers everywhere!

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood favourite, 30 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Can You Catch a Mermaid? (Paperback)
This book will make you cry if (like me) you loved it when you were very young. I still love it. In a strange way, when you read it, it's philosophical, unlike many other young children's books. There is a lot of meaning and love in this story, and though the ending was left hanging with almost a question, it was beautifully fulfilling nonetheless.
Wish there was a sequel, and in some way, that doesn't seem childish.
Wonderful illustrations help paint the story and general feel of this book. If I could give this stars to infinity, I most certainly would.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful children's book, 11 Sept. 2010
JS (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Can You Catch a Mermaid? (Paperback)
This is a truly lovely story where good finally prevails. It is very well written and beautifully illustrated. I met the author/illustrator in a cafe in a Devon seaside village earlier this summer and in conversation discovered she was an accomplished artist/author. She told me her inspiration for this book had been seaside holidays with her family in Devon, so being a local person I wanted to read it and share it with children I work with. It was a pleasure to meet Jane Ray, a friendly, modest lady, and a pleasure also to read her book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful wonderful, 18 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Can You Catch a Mermaid? (Paperback)
Such a magical tale, that subtley communicates, and overcomes, the difficulties a child can have making friends if they feel they are a bit 'different'. The illustrations are so beautiful. I've bought loads of copies for friend's children as presents. The little girl in the book lives with her Dad, no Mum is mentioned, so could be a good story for a young child who lives with just their Dad

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical Mermaids, 2 Oct. 2010
D. Reakes "The Folk Fairy" (Wilts UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Can You Catch a Mermaid? (Paperback)
I am a huge fan of Jane Ray's illustrations and this book combines the beauty of her artwork with an absolutely amazing, magical story. It's quite rare for children's books to feature characters with an alternative lifestyle, so I love it for that too. This is one of my very favourite picture books. Oh, and as it's a children's book I suppose I should add that my daughters love it too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect seaside reading, 16 Nov. 2008
Tim Gutteridge (Cadiz, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Can You Catch a Mermaid? (Paperback)
My kids (a boy and a girl, now aged 6 and 5) love this book. The beautiful illustrations and magical text come together to create a really wonderful, atmospheric story. If you ever go on holiday to the West Coast of Scotland, take this book with you. And if you don't go, read the book and it will take you there anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars exquisite illustrations accompanied by a touching tale, 15 Sept. 2003
pnina leor (Metar, Israel) - See all my reviews
I was delighted with both the pictures and storyline of this book. the tale and the illustrated mermaid's tale are both note worthy.
This book is a must have for mermaid lovers of all ages. My 5 year old daughter adores the book, as do I.
5 stars all the way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming, 5 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Can You Catch a Mermaid? (Paperback)
Very charming story about a little girl, her dad & how she comes to have a mermaid come to live with her for a short time. The illustrations are amazing and almost haunting. My 3 year old was hooked on this book for several weeks after getting it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully illustrated and poignant book, 9 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Can You Catch a Mermaid? (Paperback)
Bought this for my 5 year old daughter who is mermaid mad, and also shares her name with the mermaid in the book. This book has a moral lesson, is beautifully illustrated and an etheral quality so often lacking in many children's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars delightful, 31 Jan. 2013
Mrs. N. Ralph (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Can You Catch a Mermaid? (Paperback)
this book is every little girl dream... we borrowed it once from the library and we just fell in love with it. It's beautifully illustrated and the story captivating! A must read for both child and parent!

Can You Catch a Mermaid?
Can You Catch a Mermaid? by Jane Ray (Paperback - 26 Jun. 2003)