Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 June 2002
This book is already getting a bit dog eared as it my 2yr old's favourite. As my bump is expanding he is quite happy talking to the baby in it's house!
A wonderful, uncomplicated way of explaining things for a younger child.
on 1 November 2004
We bought this book when I was expecting my second child to help my daughter (who was coming up to 2) understand what was happening to mummy. My daughter really identified with the child in the book, and the simple rhymes were easy for her to remember at an age where repetition was very important to her. The illustrations are brilliant too, she loved playing "spot the..." with all the background details.
I was very ill during my pregnancy, so the fact that this included the mummy getting sick really helped my little girl. I loved that it was so positive. She loved the book and now, aged five, still knows it by heart and loves reading it to her little brother.
Its not technical, if they're old enough to wonder how the baby got there or how it gets out then this isn't the right book. But I'd recommend it to any toddler expecting a sibling.
0Comment|131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 September 2004
I bought this book for a friend who is expecting her second baby and I know it will make her laugh as well as explaining everything in a lovely way to her 20month old son. A wonderfully funny present to make any expectant mum smile whilst educating their child.
on 18 May 2002
this is a lovely book which helped my 2 year old understand about our next baby - she even looked for the windows on me!!! the poem and the ideas appealed to me and my daughter - i enjoyed reading it as much as she enjoyed having it read - i am looking for more books by the same author
on 26 June 2006
This book is written in verse rather than narrative, and as such is very appealing to toddlers and young children. My three year old son loves the pictures, and knows some of the verses off by heart.

The depiction of pregnancy through a toddler's eyes is amusing and touching, and the book deals with typical scenario's such as the expectant mother being exhausted, feeling sick and having cravings.

The formation of a new baby is viewed in a positive light, with the existing child feeling content and excited about the birth. Very pleasant and useful book.
on 16 September 2013
Bought for my son (aged 2) to prepare him for his new sibling. He generally responds very well to things in books and we have found books invaluable for potty training, and getting him interested in new experiences, such as going on a aeroplane, etc. He hasn't been very interested in this book and I think this is because he is not especially curious about why my tummy is getting bigger and is content to hear that there is a baby in there, but he is much more interested in what will happen when the baby is here, and this book stops at the birth. For that reason, we have found Pirate Pete and the New Baby much more useful than this book, but if your child is particularly interested in the pregnancy part of things, then this is a good one.
on 9 August 2009
We got this book as I am pregnant and I didn't think my DS (2.5) was really taking the news in. He really liked the book and seems to have taken the content of it on board. He gets to the end of it and sees the picture with mummy holding the baby and sitting next to the child and the daddy and he says "Baby came out of mummy's tummy now!" He seems to understand a lot more about what is going to happen.
I would really recommend this book - my only slight gripe with it is that for my son, who has a pretty good attention span for his age, this book seems a little long as he will sometimes wander off halfway through (which he never does usually).
on 27 August 2008
I can't help but write a review for this book even though we don't read it anymore. It is a very treasured book which my children absolutely loved - a real favourite. It is charming, sweet and fun. It tackles problems of pregnancy on every page in a calm, lilting poem which is perfectly suited to very young children. It gives an explanation for things which might otherwise frighten children such as morning sickness and tiredness. It is particularly touching to read that the author became father to twins at the end.

A sweet, safe, kind book which is a great help when you are expecting a baby and the elder sibling is still very young.
on 17 April 2012
This book was recomended to me by another mum at my little ones nursery, to help explain about a second baby. My little one loves the story and requests it most nights, as one of her bedtime stories. I like the book as it does not specify the sex of the baby at the start, so is great if you are not wanting to find out the sex of your new baby until its born. It also helps explain why mummy gets tired and can't play as much, which is really useful, especially when your little one has been used to you running round being very active with them. It also talks about why mummy needs to eat more frequently.
on 29 June 2007
I picked this book up on the off chance whilst expecting my second child, my son loved it from the first reading and could relate to a lot of things inside, the illustrations of Mum, Dad & son in the bed on the first page, Mum & son in the bath, playing with all the toys, seeing the new baby on the scan (or hospital TV as it's described in the book) and even Mummy being sick...

Everyone who has seen this book has been instantly enamoured with it, my cousin who works in a nursery rushed straight out to buy copies for there and for an expectant friend. We kept reading even after number 2 arrived. Our copy is currently with a friend whose son is not a particular bookworm but loves this book almost as much as his new sister.