5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous, gentle explanation of pregnancy for toddlers.
Published on 1 Nov 2004 by saa3755

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for younger kids
Bought this book for my 5 year old when I became pregnant, but felt that it would have been better suited to a 2 or 3 year old. I like the fact that it mentioned the mother being tired and feeling ill as I think that helped explain things a little. It's not become a favourite for me or her.
Published 11 months ago by FeeBeeGee

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous, gentle explanation of pregnancy for toddlers., 1 Nov 2004
This review is from: There's A House Inside My Mummy (Orchard Picturebooks) (Paperback)
We bought this book when I was expecting my second child to help my daughter (who was coming up to 2) understand what was happening to mummy. My daughter really identified with the child in the book, and the simple rhymes were easy for her to remember at an age where repetition was very important to her. The illustrations are brilliant too, she loved playing "spot the..." with all the background details.
I was very ill during my pregnancy, so the fact that this included the mummy getting sick really helped my little girl. I loved that it was so positive. She loved the book and now, aged five, still knows it by heart and loves reading it to her little brother.
Its not technical, if they're old enough to wonder how the baby got there or how it gets out then this isn't the right book. But I'd recommend it to any toddler expecting a sibling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 29 Sep 2004
By A Customer
I bought this book for a friend who is expecting her second baby and I know it will make her laugh as well as explaining everything in a lovely way to her 20month old son. A wonderfully funny present to make any expectant mum smile whilst educating their child.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful way to explain things!, 11 Jun 2002
By A Customer
This book is already getting a bit dog eared as it my 2yr old's favourite. As my bump is expanding he is quite happy talking to the baby in it's house!
A wonderful, uncomplicated way of explaining things for a younger child.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic - my daughter loved it, 18 May 2002
By A Customer
this is a lovely book which helped my 2 year old understand about our next baby - she even looked for the windows on me!!! the poem and the ideas appealed to me and my daughter - i enjoyed reading it as much as she enjoyed having it read - i am looking for more books by the same author

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book for young children, 26 Jun 2006
Miss Read (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is written in verse rather than narrative, and as such is very appealing to toddlers and young children. My three year old son loves the pictures, and knows some of the verses off by heart.

The depiction of pregnancy through a toddler's eyes is amusing and touching, and the book deals with typical scenario's such as the expectant mother being exhausted, feeling sick and having cravings.

The formation of a new baby is viewed in a positive light, with the existing child feeling content and excited about the birth. Very pleasant and useful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars preparing for new baby, 7 Dec 2009
R. Honnet (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my son who will be two JUST after my second child is born and he loves it. In fact, he demands it every night at bedtime! Despite his age he has become "wee baby" daft and will point to my tummy to confirm that the "wee baby" is there. He is about as excited as such a young child could be about the prospect of a new arrival and I think this book has helped.

There are many good features - the rhyming verses, which are not too long; the lovely pictures, with lots to look at and talk about apart from the baby; the prominence of Dad throughout and a strong impression that the current child is very much loved, cherished and played with, which does somehow manage also to imply that this happy picture will only be better with the addition of the baby. What is even better is the tongue-in-cheek humour, which has given me, my husband and my friends much amusement (e.g. "I just can't wait to meet him, I hope that he's alright. My Daddy says be patient, as his door is rather tight"!)

5.0 out of 5 stars A charming, funny and beautiful book, 12 April 2001
By A Customer
With our second baby due soon we have found lots of ways to engage our first born in the planning and excitement. This enchanting and beautifully illustrated book covers everything from mummy's strange new eating habits to her needing more rest, with easy rhymes and amusing pictures. Our daughter loves it and we have it most bedtimes now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Preparing our toddler for the new baby, 2 April 2002
By A Customer
We bought this book on the recommendation of a colleague, hoping it would help our 21 month old daughter understand that a new baby was on the horizon. She is very keen on the book and talks about the 'house inside mummy' alot, but I'm not sure she really understands! I would have preferred a little more technical information, in a child-friendly way - for example, illustrations of the baby inside. The child depicted in the book is slightly older than ours, and it may be that an older child would respond in a more obvious way.
However, it has definitely helped to bring the subject into the open and explain the growing 'bump', more than other story books we have read, such as 'Spot's Baby Sister', 'Daisy and the Egg', 'I Want a Sister' etc - all of which our daughter very much enjoys, but possibly fails to link to her own situation.
The illustrations and tone of the text are appealingly positive, although at times the rhyming text is a bit twee. Unlike other books on the same issue, it gives no hint of potential problems, such as jealousy, and deals with the subject of a new sibling in a very optimistic way - especially appealing for parents. (I particularly liked the way it suggested everyone should be looking after mummy!) We are yet to discover whether or not it has actually helped, as the baby hasn't arrived...

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written book, 10 Feb 2010
Gemi (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
Really lovely book. Seems to have been very helpful for my 18month old daughter. Provides lots of talking points.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic to prepare your 1st cherub, 29 Aug 2007
i found this book very useful to explain why mummy was getting bigger. My son is 2 and he liked the pictures and the verse. there is just the right amount on text on each page so they don't get fed up before turning the next page.
Highly recommended!!

There's A House Inside My Mummy (Orchard Picturebooks)
There's A House Inside My Mummy (Orchard Picturebooks) by Giles Andreae (Paperback - 28 Mar 2002)
5.24