5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful way to explain things!
This book is already getting a bit dog eared as it my 2yr old's favourite. As my bump is expanding he is quite happy talking to the baby in it's house!
A wonderful, uncomplicated way of explaining things for a younger child.
Published on 11 Jun. 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet story but only about pregnancy, not about the new baby
Bought for my son (aged 2) to prepare him for his new sibling. He generally responds very well to things in books and we have found books invaluable for potty training, and getting him interested in new experiences, such as going on a aeroplane, etc. He hasn't been very interested in this book and I think this is because he is not especially curious about why my tummy is...
Published 21 months ago by katxyz

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful way to explain things!, 11 Jun. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: There's A House Inside My Mummy (Orchard Picturebooks) (Paperback)
A wonderful, uncomplicated way of explaining things for a younger child.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous, gentle explanation of pregnancy for toddlers., 1 Nov. 2004
We bought this book when I was expecting my second child to help my daughter (who was coming up to 2) understand what was happening to mummy. My daughter really identified with the child in the book, and the simple rhymes were easy for her to remember at an age where repetition was very important to her. The illustrations are brilliant too, she loved playing "spot the..." with all the background details.
I was very ill during my pregnancy, so the fact that this included the mummy getting sick really helped my little girl. I loved that it was so positive. She loved the book and now, aged five, still knows it by heart and loves reading it to her little brother.
Its not technical, if they're old enough to wonder how the baby got there or how it gets out then this isn't the right book. But I'd recommend it to any toddler expecting a sibling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 29 Sept. 2004
By A Customer
I bought this book for a friend who is expecting her second baby and I know it will make her laugh as well as explaining everything in a lovely way to her 20month old son. A wonderfully funny present to make any expectant mum smile whilst educating their child.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic - my daughter loved it, 18 May 2002
By A Customer
this is a lovely book which helped my 2 year old understand about our next baby - she even looked for the windows on me!!! the poem and the ideas appealed to me and my daughter - i enjoyed reading it as much as she enjoyed having it read - i am looking for more books by the same author

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book for young children, 26 Jun. 2006
Miss Read (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is written in verse rather than narrative, and as such is very appealing to toddlers and young children. My three year old son loves the pictures, and knows some of the verses off by heart.

The depiction of pregnancy through a toddler's eyes is amusing and touching, and the book deals with typical scenario's such as the expectant mother being exhausted, feeling sick and having cravings.

The formation of a new baby is viewed in a positive light, with the existing child feeling content and excited about the birth. Very pleasant and useful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended to anyone who has a toddler and new baby on the way!, 21 Feb. 2012
I bought this book whilst pregnant with our second child as i'd heard good things about it and we wanted to gently introduce our son to the idea of having a new baby brother/sister and thought a bedtime story about it would be the best approach.

It turned out that the book really is as good as people say, we had a lot of fun reading it and our son loved looking at the pictures and telling us what he thought was happening in them. He was around 18 months old when we started reading this to him (and 23 months old when our second child was born).

I have had a brief look at the other reviews and noticed some people felt unhappy as the book is about a boy and the baby also turns out to be a boy, so perhaps it will feel less relevant if you have a little girl and are expecting another girl, but i imagine it would still be helpful as it is a nice story and can be used as a way to introduce the idea of pregnancy and babies to young toddlers regardless of gender. To be honest, for us it was perfect as we had a boy and were expecting another so it was ideal and the more we read it we could see that our son was really starting to identify with the main character and get used to the whole idea. We read this so often that now our second son is here and we don't really read it anymore i actually miss it!

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who has a toddler and a new baby on the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars A charming, funny and beautiful book, 12 April 2001
By A Customer
With our second baby due soon we have found lots of ways to engage our first born in the planning and excitement. This enchanting and beautifully illustrated book covers everything from mummy's strange new eating habits to her needing more rest, with easy rhymes and amusing pictures. Our daughter loves it and we have it most bedtimes now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for toddlers, 9 Mar. 2012
J. Ferneyhough (Stockport, UK) - See all my reviews
Really good book for toddlers. Agree that it is a bit "baby brother" specific, so if you knew you were having a girl and had told your toddler this, that might be confusing for a young child. If you don't know, I think it's fine though. I don't think your older child has to be a boy to get a lot out of this book. We got this when my daughter was about 15 months old when I was about 4.5 months pregnant, and although it seemed a bit old for her at the time and was quite a bit more wordy than what we had been reading to her up to that point, she sat still for the whole book and seemed to really get a lot out of it. I had to read this again and again to her for the rest of the pregnancy, often multiple times a day. I really feel it helped her feel a lot happier about the idea of a new baby, and she used to rub my bump and say "baby" when we read it. I think she was as prepared for a new sibling as a 19-month-old can be, and we had no jealousy. We also loved that there is a toy giraffe in almost every picture, which looks exactly the same as her favourite toy, a giraffe called Dave. I knocked a star off for the "door is rather tight" line, which I really hate, and I think would have difficulty explaining to an older child!

5.0 out of 5 stars Humorous for adults, sweet explanations for children!, 18 Mar. 2015
I got this for my 4 year old son when we were waiting for the birth of his baby sister. He loved it and I read it to him lots of times. A humorous book for adults but explains things to kids in a sweet way. I would recommend it to any family with an older sibling with mummy expecting a baby.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic to prepare your 1st cherub, 29 Aug. 2007
i found this book very useful to explain why mummy was getting bigger. My son is 2 and he liked the pictures and the verse. there is just the right amount on text on each page so they don't get fed up before turning the next page.
Highly recommended!!

There's A House Inside My Mummy (Orchard Picturebooks)
There's A House Inside My Mummy (Orchard Picturebooks) by Giles Andreae (Paperback - 28 Mar. 2002)