4.0 out of 5 stars Well now...
Published on 10 Jan 2011 by James Power

3.0 out of 5 stars A Thing Of Great Beauty - But Erotic?
Published 18 months ago by Clifford

3.0 out of 5 stars A Thing Of Great Beauty - But Erotic?, 4 Jun 2013
Clifford (Weymouth, Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mammoth Book of Erotic Women in Photographs (Paperback)
This is a book for those who are interested in many of the ways in which the female form can be portrayed photographically. I would not call it particularly 'erotic', even though the women who have modelled for the many distinguished photographers are undeniably beautiful. The book would be a superb source book for students and more accomplished photographers, in that it shows the multitude of poses and scenarios which can be utilised for the demonstration of female beauty, but the fact that most people of both sexes would agree that most women can be seen as objects of beauty begs the question of 'Why have these particular examples been selected here?'. Eroticism is very hard to define. Nudity is not necessarily erotic. Eroticism seems to relate to the extent that an image arouses the viewer, and this depends as much on the scenario and its implications of sexual activity. In this volume, large and magnificent though it certainly is, I did not find even attempts at arousal. Beauty, yes; erotic appeal, only sparingly. The book certainly showcases some superb photographic artists, and to some extent this might be considered enough. It is, however, superbly produced, and of an ideal size and quality for enjoyable browsing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well now..., 10 Jan 2011
James Power (Wexford, Ireland) - See all my reviews
Mammoth in content but dainty in physical size. This is basically a who's who of folks who take photos of the female form. A short bio and selection of a handful of photos from each photographer introduced me to many names I already knew and many more I had never heard of. Some stunning work and of course some not for me, that's the idea I suppose. The one thing I would say is that naked does not mean erotic, while most of the work is undoubtedly erotic, some is just portraits without clothes. Beautiful, but not erotic.

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bunch of images but who is this book to serve?, 23 July 2012
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I saw this on display in a bookshop during its closing down sale. I bought a couple of items, but not this. To be honest, I was not sure quite what to make of it. If I were commissioning a photographer for a major project, I might want to see a variety of his imagery in a suitable size, probably A3. I would certainly need to know how that photographer worked with his models and how they related to the photographer. The images here are far too small and there are too few by any single photographer to gain an insight. There are examples by a large number of photographers, but some fail to show their intentions in their images and their presence may damage the remainder.

Many of the images are simply not erotic in nature and the book title may be deliberately misleading. You do not need to have a nude for an image to be erotic and not all nudes are erotic. The quality of imagery is highly variable and there are much better collections of erotic images available if you need them. The only positives about this book are its price, which allows it to be cheaply added to any collection, and the quality of paper used. However, the question remains, 'What is the book's intended purpose and who will it benefit?' I don't have the answers.

There are more complete, and potentially more useful directories of photographers, many of whom will have worked with nude or semi-nude models. Would I need a list of photographers who may specialise in the idiom? - probably not and I doubt that anyone would. The book appears not to serve any useful purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 21 May 2011
M. Balan "TECHNO_BUG" (UK) - See all my reviews
A collection of pictures from different photographers,and i might say that is good one.
For the price paid,it worth the money.

The Mammoth Book of Erotic Women in Photographs
The Mammoth Book of Erotic Women in Photographs by Maxim Jakubowski (Paperback - 13 Oct 2005)