4.0 out of 5 stars thought provoking
Published on 23 July 2010 by Sontee

Published on 2 Sept. 2008 by Guy Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars Just because there are conspiracy theories, that doesn't mean that there are no conspiracies, 2 Sept. 2008
Guy Mitchell (Liverpool, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mary Magdalene: Christianity's Hidden Goddess (Paperback)
I think it is very unfair to dismiss this book as yet another example of a loopy conspiracy theory. Lynn Picknett is not David Icke. And her book is intelligent and challenging. I am not competent to judge all her claims about Mary Magdalen, Jesus Christ, and John the Baptist. She may turn out to be wrong about important aspects of all three of these world historical individuals. But I would like to make just one point. Anybody who believes that the evolution of the Old and New Testaments was not driven by conspiracy, politics, brutality, and bigotry has simply not been paying attention. The New Testament in particular was authorised by a committee/cabal determined to present a particular view. If it were not for the heretical/alternative documents that have been unearthed over the centuries, and for the scholars and writers who have interpreted these documents for us, ordinary people would have had very little idea just how spun and partisan are all four of the so-called canonical gospels. And anybody even slightly familiar with the Roman Catholic Church's way of dealing with difference must accept that historically the Church has been as brutal as any warlord, as oppressive as any totalitarian regime, and as mendacious as any criminal organisation. This does not mean that there have been no shining examples of decency within the Church. Nor does it mean that the present-day RC Church has not changed very much for the better. But to dismiss Lynn Picknett's analysis of Christianity's shortcomings as a nothing more than an example of conspiracy theory is simply to be trite.

4.0 out of 5 stars thought provoking, 23 July 2010
This review is from: Mary Magdalene: Christianity's Hidden Goddess (Paperback)
Fascinating read. This book is the first non-fiction book in a long time, I actually looked forward to sit with. I love conspiracy theories anyways and to dabble in something so ancient, that the research material is not only thin on the ground, but actually almost mythical and thus open to interpretation, really got my thoughts into overdrive. I'm not sure if I'm convinced about any evidence she offers from the acceptable and the heretical gospels, but its certainly a thought provoking book. Its offered me a lot of ponder-material, was interesting and informing - more than what you can ask from 245 pages. I've almost written 5 pages on my thouths and observations about various chapters and still going strong with my stream of conscience.
Its really interesting though how much of her evidence is based on Leorardo Da Vinci's work. Which is interesting certainly, but surely if we start using art and artisitic representations to understand religion or mythology...well that's not really scientific either is it?

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, very instructive!, 17 May 2007
FELIX-MARTIN ALIAGA MONGE (Madrid, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mary Magdalene: Christianity's Hidden Goddess (Paperback)
First, I like the way the author exposes her ideas. Second, even if the content were mere fiction, the book is a good read. Definitely, this book is an alternative way to official Christianity, and lets us realize that there is much more to what we have been conventionally taught.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really makes you think!, 15 April 2006
This review is from: Mary Magdalene: Christianity's Hidden Goddess (Paperback)
I have really enjoyed this book, despite being full of a great deal of facts and theories it was very easy to read, not hard going at all. On the subject matter, it certainly presents some very interesting ideas on the true nature of the bible. I have found myself wanting even more answers about this subject matter. If your looking for answers there are certainly some in here to ponder.

4.0 out of 5 stars Less gushing than the Templar Revelation, 1 Mar. 2013
Mr. Paul Leader (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
Though far too much of the book restates much of the elements of the Templar Revelation (co written with Clive Prince) it allows the author to distance herself from 'The Priory of Sion' hoax. It also avoids the tedious repetition of italicized words for emphasis. The finest pieeces of writing are in the Foreword and Afterword, where Lynn Picknett opens her heart, which, in both cases, I found most compelling and alsmost transcends much of the difficulties some readers may have with the content.

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 19 Dec. 2012
Mr. Alasdair B. Gordon (Scotland (UK)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mary Magdalene: Christianity's Hidden Goddess (Paperback)
There is a great deal of information in this book and it is not exactly light reading. It is certainly interesting and a "must" for anyone interested in the legends / history of Mary Magdalene. It contains many assumptions and conclusions and is certainly not entirely objective. However, I am glad to have the book and to have read it. I will come back to it again without doubt.

4.0 out of 5 stars more to come please, 3 Jan. 2012
A. G. Heggie "Now bauld" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mary Magdalene: Christianity's Hidden Goddess (Paperback)
Good reading, the Magdalene is always worth a good read, I think there is more to be discoverd on this woman,so I hope Lynn keeps searching for more,

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Mary Magdalene: Christianity's Hidden Goddess (Paperback)
Delivery good, condition good and contents excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 May 2015
Amazing - deep and insightful.

1.0 out of 5 stars not for me, 1 April 2013
S. Gallagher "book_worm" (Dublin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mary Magdalene: Christianity's Hidden Goddess (Paperback)
I bought this book thinking it would be a fascinating insight into the life of Mary Magdalene - unfortunately, for me, it was n't to be - I found it a very dry and laborious read. I got as far a the third chapter and decided to leave it there.

Mary Magdalene: Christianity's Hidden Goddess
Mary Magdalene: Christianity's Hidden Goddess by Lynn Picknett (Paperback - 20 Nov. 2003)