on 17 February 2013
Unlike the previous reviewer I found this highly enjoyable. This book finds Commander Joe Sandilands on the restive North-Western Frontier visiting an old army friend at his outpost fort just below the Khyber Pass. Whilst there, Joe is entrusted to be an escort for a visiting American girl of both formidable financial and daredevil means. When the son of a Pathan tribal leader is discovered dead and by foul means, Joe must solve the murder and attempt to prevent a possible war on the Frontier.

Once again, Cleverly brilliantly evokes the British Raj in this novel and adeptly describes the hard landscape, climate and peoples of the North-Western Frontier. A very enjoyable read and my favourite Joe Sandilands book thusfar, plenty of colourful characters, intrigue and a fun read.
on 2 May 2013
The second Joe Sandilands book I read, and was prompted to buy more of the other in the series. I don't believe it is necessary to read them in order since they look to be stand alone stories, but nevertheless I am trying to read them in order. The ones I have so far read (three) are set it India and are very atmospheric with a well thought out plot and a few surprises, just the ticket for a good mystery detective read. I'm persuading my family to read these and have so far had good feed back from them.
on 19 February 2013
I really enjoyed The Last Kashmiri Rose and this one is just as good, if not better. I recommend it.
on 9 May 2015
Excellent Whodunnit set in the North West Frontier province of India in 1920s. This is the third book in the Joe Sandilands series in India set and I hugely enjoyed it. Again there were two tiny mistakes but only to an eagle eye like mine, Jahan is correct spelling for Shah Jahan and his daughter would have been a Muslim too not setting up a Hindu temple! Otherwise it was excellent and I would recommend to give young folk an idea of how things were in those days. Would that both President Bush and Prime Minister Blair had read it before embarking on the folly of an Afghan War....again. Having had an ancestor who survived the First Afghan War and lived to become Commander in Chief of India, and having met an old Soldier in 1960 when I was but a girl who had served in the second or third Afghan War I know that is a harsh uncompromising Land and we were fools to embark on that bloodshed which has ended unsatisfactorily. However.....a really good read!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 May 2013
Another good tale about Joe Sandilands- a character I've taken to my heart. He is, essentially, an ex-military man, turned detective, and these are detective stories but his past record qualifies him to be called to deal with politically sensitive issues. I especially like the tales which are set, as this one is, in the North-west frontier/India in the days of the Raj. They have the air of authenticity, and, although on a much smaller scale than MM Kaye's Far Pavilions, they do provide some interesting insight into the attitudes of those days, and their consequences.
on 28 June 2013
I am really enjoying this series of books, set in India and surrounding countries in the early 1900's. The lead character, Joe Sandilands, is well written and after reading a few books, you feel like you know him. Love the descriptions of how life would have been in those days, but glad I live now! I'm already reading the next one in the series, and have downloaded book 5, so you can safely say I'm enjoying them. If you like a bit of history and detective stories, give these books a try...you won't be disappointed!
on 6 April 2013
Am nearing the end of this tale of adventure on the North West Frontier, and as a big fan of Barbara Cleverly, am enjoying it very much!
As usual, she has written a book with brilliant background detail - her descriptions of the Khyber Pass and the tribal people's combine with the Indian Raj characters from the 1920's make this an easy read.
If you have travelled in that part of the world, you will enjoy it!
on 19 July 2013
I'm becoming addicted to Barbara Cleverly and the splendid Joe, and I don't even like detective fiction. Normally if I read more than a couple of books by the same author I find too many similarities and get bored or irritated. But these novels are well researched in time and setting, and she has a great command of English. They are very easy to read and enjoy.
on 5 June 2013
I love these books. The plots are very clever and leave you guessing right to the end. The series is very atmospheric as set in India in the 20s and 30s. The books have very different plots so each one is a joy to read and I have never felt like I have read it before which you sometimes get in a series of books. Recommend it to anyone who loves a good story!
on 22 May 2013
Cracking tale set just as the Raj is coming to it's close. Sandilands, as a police man seconded from the London force, meets old friends from the war and solves the crime, against the more exotic backdrop of the sub continent. Can be read as a stand alone but will I'm sure make you wnt to read more of his adventures.