on 9 November 2007
This book wins for me on two scores. Firstly the fantastic evocation of 1920's India and secondly as a murder mystery. An excellent read thoroughly recommended
on 14 July 2013
Very evocative book set in 1920s India at the time of the Raj. The attention to detail is amazing. You can see that the author has done a lot research which has gone into making these books such a great read. The twists and turns of the plot make for a very exciting story which leaves you guessing right to the end. Will be reading all the books in this series.
on 13 November 2007
Finally a great series of murder mysteries, this one set in colonial India in the 1920s. Great illustration of colonial and British army life with a likeable protagonist, Joe Sandilands, and all the right ingredients for a juicy murder mystery. If you enjoy Agatha Christie books, I am sure you'll like this one.
on 17 February 2013
This is Barbara Cleverly's second outing with her very likeable detective, Joe Sandilands. As with "The Last Kashmiri Rose" this has an almost magical ability to export the reader to British India, the sights, smells and sounds of the Raj's summer capital, Simla are brilliantly evoked.

Populated with interesting characters and good pacing, this is an highly enjoyable read. The only slight niggle for me was the ending which I found slightly unsatisfying. However as a whole it is lots of fun and a real joy for fans of the classic British crime novel.
on 5 June 2013
The characters are enchanting, the plot exquisitely twisting and turning and the language beautifully descriptive. Utterly engaging, as Cleverly's stories always are.
Ragtime in Simla is a tale of murder, mystery, love and betrayal. Commander Joe Sandilands proves yet again to be a worthy match for the intriguing criminals he encounters and you feel as though you are almost there solving the mystery with him.
Loved it, can't wait to start the next one.
on 28 June 2013
Really enjoying this series of books set around India in the early 1900's. The characters are very well written and the descriptions what life would have been like in those days are enjoyable, although only if you had money! I an now reading the 3rd book in the series and have downloaded the next 2!. Yes, I think you can say I'm liking them!
on 1 May 2015
This was another good read after The Last Kashmiri Rose. For me who was born and brought up in India with five generations of history in the family a delight and a well crafted who dunnit. Just a pity that a few details are wrong. A Muslim title is never ever Rajah, that has to be Hindu or Sikh, whereas a Muslim nobleman is a Nawab, or his heir is a Nawabzada....and in the north west frontier area they were usually The Khan of.....somewhere. Also the land leading up to the foothills of Sawaliks on which Simla is perched is not a desert - that only happens in Rajasthan and the salt deserts of Gujarat...both ancient exotic areas. What I do like is that the author's characters are likeable and 'some good eggs'. She doesn't coat the whole British Empire in a leftist pall of judgmental gloom....it is full of the usual gossip, connivance, aspiration, and good things. I shall now read the next one set in India.....these books are what I call 'a good swallow hole'!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 July 2013
This is the third Barbara Cleverly novel I have read and I am enjoying every minute, I have been transported to far away lands with beautiful writing and I think that I am developing a crush on our British Bobby Joe Sandilands.
on 20 May 2013
Have just finished this book and it was a really good read, plot is interesting but not over complicated and would recommend. I have also been reading the other books in the series and can recommend them
on 2 March 2015
This book has obviously been written by somebody who has either never been in India or has only briefly visited - my guess is never been there. I was born and brought up in India during the Raj so know about Simla and the other hill stations where we spent every summer. There are references to "lungurs" which are not found above 4000 feet and Simla is over 7000 feet - "Bengalis" and many other things which are absolute nonsense.
For the uninitiated I suppose it is romantic and exotic but I guessed right at the beginning who was the killer - it was simply too obvious and as an Agatha Christie fan - find this actually quite childish.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse