4.0 out of 5 stars Good selection of old and new, 21 April 2013
Annie W "bookworm" (Aberdeenshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I'm not sure if the collection merits a Foreword, an Introduction, and an Afterword, but it is quite a good selection of tales. I bought the book because it contained offerings from several of my favourite authors, but it also introduced me to others whose works I might now consider trying. It did contain the odd story which made me wonder why it had been included, but each to his own.

There are 27 mysteries, with solutions ranging from the 'got it from the start' variety through the 'wow, that's clever!' to the 'oh, come off it!'. I just wish Mr Ashley has spent a little more time reading the proofs, because there are a significant number of errors in the text, largely either missing or duplicated words, sometimes incomplete text revisions, nothing major, but still fairly irritating.

Nevertheless, it's an entertaining read for its price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining read, 23 Jun. 2014
Amazonian "Badger" (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
If you enjoy crime puzzles (like the brain teasers Jonathan Creek gets involved in) then you'll almost certainly enjoy this collection of short stories, all featuring baffling crimes. They're very easy reading and I found myself hooked, reading one after another in rapid succession although I'm not usually a fan of short stories.

The only downside for me, and the reason it doesn't get five stars, is that all too often at the end of the story I felt let down by the "solution" to the puzzling crime for one of a variety of reasons:-

- the solution was so mundane I felt cheated (eg. Waiting for Godstow, The Crowded Cemetery, No Way Out, Murder Strips Off, Stag Night);

- the solution required an ingenious device which almost certainly wouldn't work in real life (eg. Death Rides The Elevator, The Pulp Collection):

- the solution was obvious quite early on (eg. The Doomdorf Mystery, Murder In The Air, Mr. Strang Accepts A Challenge; Blind Eyes);

- the solution seemed ingenious but there seemed to me to be a difficulty in its execution which the author had glossed over (eg. The Stolen Saint Simon - how did they set up the tightrope?);

- the author cheated (eg. Ice Elation - when the author tells us that a place has been searched we do not expect to find that the solution hinges on the culprit having hidden in that place)

Despite the above I enjoyed the book very much - there were very few stories that I felt weren't worth reading and most of them do exhibit a certain degree of ingenuity. Afterwards, I found myself searching Amazon for some of the works recommended by the compiler of this anthologgy wanting more of the same!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good variety, 25 Oct. 2013
Entertaining selection of impossible crimes from the whole swathe of crime fiction short stories. Good mix of type and age

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant anthology, 21 Jun. 2013
I'm generally rather averse to collections of stories by various random authors - but I have found the "Mammoth" series to be very well put together - and this one, in particular, is a great collection of this delightful sub-genre. Not all the stories are equally good, but they are mostly very ingenious and enjoyable. If you enjoy Jonathan Creek style logical / weird mysteries rather than blood and yuk then this is definitely recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Mammoth Book of Locked-Room Mysteries and Impossible Crimes (Paperback)
An excellent collection of mystery stories Many hours of enjoyable reading

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book but..........................., 21 April 2012
Unfortunately this book had rather a lot of stories and Authors from long ago .Good Writers but personally I would have preferred a lot more recent ones who would have a more modern outlook but never the less it is certainly worth buying if you like anthologies .

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Oct. 2014
great stories

The Mammoth Book of Locked-Room Mysteries and Impossible Crimes
The Mammoth Book of Locked-Room Mysteries and Impossible Crimes by Michael Ashley (Paperback - 7 Sept. 2000)
Used & New from: £2.43