5.0 out of 5 stars You know a book is good when you get mad at the characters .
Published on 15 Jun. 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable
Unbelievable people, unbelievable situation, and unbelievable dialogue.

This is the only Elizabeth Peters that I read. I believe it will be my last. As I said it is unbelievable.

The basic story is of unrequited love and revenge in a more modern day Egypt. The people and situations are fare from any reality and can not be related to.
Published on 10 April 2010 by bernie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars You know a book is good when you get mad at the characters ., 15 Jun. 1999
By A Customer
...and want to shake some sense into them. Part of the appeal of the Amelia Peabody mysteries is that after reading the preceding books in the series the characters become so real that you begin to feel that you know them personally - and, like Amelia, long to give them the benefit of your own wisdom and experience. Accordingly, Falcon at the Portal is, in turn, appealing, appalling, frustrating, maddening, and thoroughly enjoyable. And as always, it is an education in Egyptology and the modern history of the region. Presumably Ms. Peters knows where she is going with all this. At this book's close she has them on the eve of WW1. What next?

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe I found this!, 21 May 2007
Nadia Al Hazmi (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Falcon at the Portals (Amelia Peabody) (Paperback)
Ok, ok... I bought this book by chance in a bookstore in London that had the infamous '3 for 2' deal that always gets me into trouble! Desperate not to let a good deal go, I grabbed the first book I found on the shelf, and it was 'The Falcon at the Portal' by Elizabeth Peters. The book stayed on my shelf for nearly a year, every time I picked it up I thought it might be a bit 'silly' seing how it dealt with Egypt and archeologists... Thinking it might be a disappointing literary exercise, I let the months drag on. But finally, a few weeks ago, I started reading.

Let me dissipate any doubts, the book is exquisitely written. I like verbose books, I like to swim in clear and engaging language and Elizabeth Peters writes in a manner that seems inherited from 19th century English literature! She has a good prose, I never got bored, not even when she described archeological terms and endavours in detail. The characters are so appealing, each with his/her own very loud particulars and the story is beautifully weaved around romance, mystery and murder! I believe that being able to engage the reader on all these levels, language, characters and plot, is a very rare talent indeed in these times! One is usually sacrificed for the other, but Peters seems to be able to perfect them all!

I couldn't put the book down, and that is a 5 star to me. I am definitely purchasing the whole series... I feel like someone who just won the jackpot!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 30 Jan. 2014
Elaine Tomasso (Troon. Uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I bought all the books i didn't have in this series because they are on special and I've been making my way through them slowly, interspersed with other books so that I didn't sicken myself but I have now read Seeing A Large Cat, The Ape Who Guards The Balance and The Falcon At The Portal back to back and am about to move on to He Shall Thunder In The Sky as I am absolutely gripped by the Nefret/Ramses situation. This book is more serious than the others, being more about the family dynamic than Indiana Jones for Edwardians but it is still good fun and although I recommend this book as a great way to spend a few hours I think you would enjoy it even more if you have the backstory from the previous books.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, 10 April 2010
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Unbelievable people, unbelievable situation, and unbelievable dialogue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 Oct. 2014
I read the first 10 books some years ago. Now with more time and a kindle I am continuing where I left off.
Oh how I have missed the Emerson family.
This book is un-put-downable. It's got humour, tension, emotion and of course murder.
Now I have got to read Thunder in the Sky to see how it all ends up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing but occasionally heartrending., 14 Jun. 1999
By A Customer
Elizabeth Peters' skills as a writer, not exactly paltry to begin with, have grown over the course of the Amelia Peabody books. The series was always fun to read, but the latest few have an emotional impact most mystery writers cannot match. The characterizations, especially of the younger generation, are much deeper than they used to be; Amelia and Emrson are forced to grapple with events that challenge their composure more than anything since Emerson's amnesia (in The Snake, the Crocodile, and the Dog). This does demand more from the reader, who can no longer be confident that everything will be tied up in a nice neat happy ending by the end of the book.
I almost subtracted a star, because Nefret acts in a way that I believe to be out of character, but I left it in because presumably Peters knows her characters better than I do, and anyway it may be wishful thinking on my part. At any rate, she has promised to tie up some loose ends in her next book -- thank goodness!

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put this down!, 11 Jun. 1999
By A Customer
I read this book in about six hours. I love what Peters' is doing with Manuscript H and assorted letters and "books" in fleshing out her novel. The cliffhanger ending has me anxiously waiting for the next installment. Peters' is one of the few authors that I keep in hardcover since I'm always re-reading Amelia's exploits.

5.0 out of 5 stars book, 23 Jun. 2013
I always enjoy books written by this author and this book
is no exception. Once you have read one of her books
You have to read them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars great!, 12 Feb. 2013
Love these books, they are pure escapism but well written and witty. This was one of the better ones I thought so quite happy to give it 5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect read, 24 July 2013
Elizabeth Peters provides the best kind of book for these dire times. Intriguing and absorbing, total escapism as far as I am concerned.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Falcon at the Portals (Amelia Peabody)
Falcon at the Portals (Amelia Peabody) by Elizabeth Peters (Paperback - 14 Oct. 1999)
Used & New from: £0.01