Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 January 2010
Unlike most cookery books this isn't just a collection of recipes. Nigel shares his approach to food and explains theories in an approachable, understandable way. He encourages you to cook in a way that doesn't tie you to the exact ingredients of a recipe, but to alter things based on your own preference. He gives you a basic recipe and includes many variations so you can make it slightly different each time depending on your taste, and what you might have in the cupboard.

Overall not only a good cook book but a good read. Reusable theories and approaches, not set recipes. Uncomplicated tasty food that you'll go back to again and again.
on 30 March 2002
Nigel Slater is the best thing about Sunday mornings and the Observer. During the week I love his recipes. They're common sense, improve (immeasurably) on my own style of cooking, but they allow me to produce a meal which is just "a thing", which my family love - only with Nigel I can reproduce it! Sensible, down to earth, for a real life. this book allows me to work and still to feed my family with good quality, interesting meals. Well done, Nigel, again.
on 10 December 2000
At last we can forget the TV personality chef and retreat with Nigel Slater into the real world of cooking for enjoyment and pleasure. This book rejects the confines of exact quantities or overcomplex ingredients and focuses on the prime element of taste and enjoyment of food cooked and eaten with pleasure. Laid out with simple practical advice on everything from essential kitchen equipment, mercifully little, to selecting quality seasonal produce and then giving a variety of twists to the original recipe, this book has it all. Treat yourself, buy it, use it and recommend it to your friends. I even bought my mother-in-law a copy|
on 24 February 2005
As so many reviewers have taken the trouble to mention, this really is a fantastic recipe book. You pick it up, flick through it and feel inspired and empowered to cook really wonderful things. I was not a particularly accomplished cook before I got this book. I get bored in the kitchen, can't be bothered to weigh things out and hate sticking to the minutiae of a recipe. With this book (aside from the baking recipes) you really don't need to do any of that. You can read the recipe and then go ahead and try. I have learnt to make the most wonderful roast chicken ever (with a lemon stuck inside to make the flesh tender and fragrant and divine). It is just so simple to do and so impressive to look at. Also, Take a look at the chocolate cake towards the end of this book. It looks and tastes incredible and is not that hard to make. For teaching you how to make simple food divinely you really cannot beat this book.
on 19 January 2010
I have collected a large number of food books which I greatly enjoy and consult. However, there is simply no better book than this. Even after using and savouring it for years, I constantly find new stuff to inform and educate. THe way the author suggests alternatives to the recipes and encourages a relaxed approach to the task is absolutely the opposite to the fussy over-detailed approach of cooks of long ago. The greatest compliment I can pay is to record the fact that I frequently embark on cooking a meal from or inspired by the book after just browsing its pages, and usually find that ( courtesy of the alternatives advice ) I can manage to find the ingredients. If I could only retain one book, or select one as a present for an aspiring cook, this would be the one.
on 13 February 2001
Nigel Slater dispels myths and legends about good food on everypage but occassionally creates a few of his own. I am a rarely satisfied cook and complements on my cooking often fall on deaf ears. With every recipe from this book that I tried I can taste the quality of the food and I find myself agreeing with the compliments. Nigel provides a new way of looking at food that I find as a trained chef very refreshing
on 13 August 2001
At last this is out in paperback...
Nigel Slater takes us through his unpretentious, lick-the-spoon approach to cooking by taking us back to some basic recipes and encouraging the reader to experiment with various additions of their own. Using simple ingredients and easy techniques, this will tempt even the most cautious cook to become more adventurous and confident in their cooking. As he says, 'it's only supper after all'!
I've tried many of these recipes and have found them pretty fail-safe. It will certainly be a favourite buy for Nigel Slater fans but is also an excellent introduction to one of the best of British chefs. From the perfect baked potato to mouthwateringly scrummy choccy puddings, you'll always find something good for dinner to inspire you in this book, no matter how bare your cupboard may appear.
Eat,drink and be very merry with Nigel!
on 3 November 2000
This is not a book to be devoured at one sitting, but to be savoured at length. Has there ever been a cookery book so luscious, so full of sound practical advice, so easy to follow, so inspiring, so beautiful to look at and so full of new ideas and recipes? I do not think so.
on 13 October 2000
At last, a book for real cooks, those who have to do the shopping and the washing up. No tall food in sight. A book which asks 'who are cooking for? Where do you want eat? ' This is a new, or struggling cooks guide in which Mr Slater holds your hand but does not make you feel like a three year old. BUT - there is plenty in it for those who have tried to follow blindly c'heffy' books and not known why they have not done so well as they'd hoped.
Equipment, flavour and the most delicious receipes made from easily sourced ingredients, how to cope with disasters. There is even a chapter on washing up. New, learning or experienced cooks - just looking through the book, even the photographs will have you keen to get started. Vegetarian or carnivore, savoury or sweet I cannot imagine anyone not enjoying and using Appetite time and time again. A truly scrumptious, comforting cookbook.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 February 2011
This is what a cookery book should be, not a collection of recipes that one is supposed to follow to the letter, but a guide to cooking with recipes offered as a basis with which to work; Nigel Slater positively encourages you to adapt them to your taste or whatever you have in your kitchen store.

He talks about food and cooking, and dispels many of the traditional myths. He suggests keeping things simple - not too many ingredients, not too many herbs or spices (with a few stated exceptions); he is not afraid to speak his mind nor express his likes and dislikes.

The book is beautifully illustrated, almost every page has a full colour photograph or photographs on the facing page showing the completed dish and sometimes the various stages of its production. The quality of the photographs is first class. The recipes are clearly described and invariable each has a few words of introduction or explanation highlighting particular aspects of the recipe or its ingredients.

For me this is the perfect cookbook, I've always tended to vary recipes, sometimes to the complaints of others who say that the resultant dish is cannot be authentic! Well, now I have an excellent precedent.

With Appetite Nigel Slater does not teach what to cook, he teaches how to cook.