5.0 out of 5 stars Appetite is my Bible
Like many avid home cooks I have bought a dozen of the latest star-chef books including Jamie, Nigella et al...and also others of Nigel.
Published on 21 Nov 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Appetite
Published on 29 Dec 2010 by Marand

5.0 out of 5 stars Appetite is my Bible, 21 Nov 2001
This review is from: Appetite: So What Do You Want to Eat Today? (Paperback)
Among them I find Nigel's recipe's just as mouthwatering but somewhat easier to follow and more likely to get results as per the photos. He also is a little bit less fashion conscious and doesn't add neat tricks for the sake of coolness.
This book stands our in particular even amongst his others that I have. The lamb shank menu is a great winter warmer for up to 12 people with little stress, the 30 minute fish supper has become a trusty one to give to new guests, and his asian curries are that much more rounded in flavour than others I have tried.
I have bought this book as a present for at least half a dozen friends and as my wife will tell you nothing gives me more pleasure than opening it up on a Saturday afternoon after lunch, over a glass of red wine, and deciding what to cook that night.
I am 30 yrs old and British although living expat in Belgium. After many years of M&S pre-made meals I started cooking about three years ago when living in Italy and would since rate it as my number one obsession. Life for me revolves around good food and wine shared with friends and family.

3.0 out of 5 stars Appetite, 29 Dec 2010
Marand (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Appetite: So What Do You Want to Eat Today? (Paperback)
I love Nigel Slater's approach to food and use several of his books on a regular basis, most notably 'Real Food' and 'Real Cooking'. His aim in 'Appetite' is to free readers from the slavish following of recipes, to encourage them to follow their own minds. Unfortunately this is my least favourite of his books. In part I think that this is because (a) I already possess and use a number of his other books and am used to his philosophy and (b) I am an experienced cook who has been adapting and tweaking recipes for years.

The first 150 pages or so introduce the concept, ingredients, equipment, the idea of seasonality. Then follow the recipes. The approach here is to provide one recipe and then follow with variations & adaptations. For example, in my favourite recipe, a thin onion and taleggio tart, the alternative suggestions are leek & taleggio, onion & camembert, mushroom & taleggio, red onion & parmesan, pancetta & onion. There is a simple tomato sauce followed by suggestions for using roasted tomatoes, chilli, baked pasta with tomato sauce & mozzarella. The same applies for various soups, pasta dishes, etc.. The trouble for me is that none of the variations are unexpected, nor really beyond the capabilities of even a relatively inexperienced cook. There is also much that is familiar from NS's other books. Therefore, for me at least, there isn't much point to the book. I think it would be useful for a relatively inexperienced cook or someone who doesn't already have Nigel's other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous grub, 16 July 2005
This review is from: Appetite: So What Do You Want to Eat Today? (Paperback)
My brother's boss bought him a copy, which I nicked. I then bought my parents a copy.... No more is "It's Delia" heard at the dinner table... oh no, "It's Nigel".
This book hugely helped me as a cook. Nigel Slater teaches you cooking - not following a recipe. Indeed, the recipes are very vague in places, stating "a handful" of this, and "a pinch" of that. It's all about helping the reader develop their own skills as a cook. This is unfussy, everyday sort of food, the sort you want to cook after a horrid day at work, with an emphasis on using quality, fresh and seasonal ingredients.
I love the way the recipes have suggestions for adapting them. For example, his basic tomato pasta sauce has a page of variations, many of which are quite scrummy. After a while, you'll leave the book to one side and start improvising yourself!
But at the same time, this is a book you'll want to go back to. The illustrations are beautiful, and Slater writes clearly and with a warm humanity - he almost sounds as if he too has dreadful days when all he wants to do is escape home! There's also lots of useful information such as when particular foods are at their best according to season.
Great stuff for novices but (I'm told) also superb for more experienced cooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nigel is god!!!!!, 2 Sep 2002
This review is from: Appetite: So What Do You Want to Eat Today? (Paperback)
I bought my first Nigel Slater book (Real Food) on a whim because it contained a section about cheese, my favourite food (!), and I have been absolutely hooked since. When I got 'Appetite' home I spent virtually the whole night reading it and devouring every word. He writes so temptingly about food that you just want to eat eat eat!!
If you're looking for fancy, pretty food then this may not be up your street but if you are looking for sheer, animal satisfaction and food that hugs your soul then this is the book for you! I must admit, I am partial to a bit of both types but this is the book I come to time and time again, the one that is splattered with all sorts of sauces, ice creams and bits of pastry, and the one that has produced groans of pleasure from everyone from my boyfriend to my parents to my friends who happen to sample my cooking with Nigel's inspiration.
It's not a book with strict, precise recipes, Nigel encourages you to cook with a little of your own judgement and he does this in such an enthusiastic way that it makes it seem easy, and it is! I cannot say enough good things about this book and the only bad thing I can come up with is that the food in it is so good that you may pile on a few pounds, but you'll have such fun doing it it really is worth it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd take Nigel over Nigella Any Day, 9 Jun 2003
This review is from: Appetite: So What Do You Want to Eat Today? (Paperback)
Appetite is a very innovative book and an immensely useful one for the every day cook. Nigel Slater takes a basic ingredient or cooking technique, explains it clearly and appealingly and then prompts you to experiment with hints and tips for variants of the basic dish. It's easy to see why he has enjoyed such success as a food journalist. He doesn't talk down to or patronise the experienced cook and equally is accessible to the novice. It is very realistic and is also free of the cringe-inducing tweeness of his nearly-name-sake and good friend, Nigella. Very refreshing indeed - I refer to it all the time, which is what you want in a cookbook.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - particularly for hesitant cooks, 8 Oct 2001
Gordon (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Appetite: So What Do You Want to Eat Today? (Paperback)
I've been a big fan of Nigel Slater for some years, and tend to turn straight to his column when I pick up the Observer each Sunday. His immediate writing style and delicious ideas are a real inspiration, and this book would be an excellent start for a new cook.
Appetite goes further than his other books in encouraging people to _think_ about food, rather than simply repeat his ideas. He does this by concentrating on a limited framework of recipes and exploring them. There is also a great deal more commentary than in some of the earlier books.
So who would this suit? Having read it pretty much cover-to-cover (that's how absorbing his writing is!) I immediately thought of my younger brother, who is not a terribly experienced cook. It isn't as adventurous as "30-minute cook", but strikes me as a much more useful book than "Real food" (from which I have only cooked about one recipe so far).
Criticisms? Well, as usual, Nigel's ideas always seem to take longer for me to cook than he suggests, and there is a fair amount of butter sloshing around. But to expect to eat a full diet from one book would be completely contrary to the spirit of 'Appetite' which aims to liberate the cook from the tyranny of extensive recipes and 'must do' lists.
So - read the introduction, and if you can take the challenge you'll have a rewarding experience with 'Appetite'!

5.0 out of 5 stars simply the very best, 19 Jan 2010
This review is from: Appetite: So What Do You Want to Eat Today? (Paperback)
I have collected a large number of food books which I greatly enjoy and consult. However, there is simply no better book than this. Even after using and savouring it for years, I constantly find new stuff to inform and educate. THe way the author suggests alternatives to the recipes and encourages a relaxed approach to the task is absolutely the opposite to the fussy over-detailed approach of cooks of long ago. The greatest compliment I can pay is to record the fact that I frequently embark on cooking a meal from or inspired by the book after just browsing its pages, and usually find that ( courtesy of the alternatives advice ) I can manage to find the ingredients. If I could only retain one book, or select one as a present for an aspiring cook, this would be the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nigel Slater is simply the sexiest food writer ever!, 14 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Appetite (Hardcover)
I took this book to bed and I felt I was having a midnight feast just reading it. Forget naked, we want Nigel! He can make even the simplest of ingrediants seem like a sumptuous feast. Nigel Slaters writeing has always seemed more like poetry dedicated to food than just simply prose, and he just gets better and better.
The recipes in this book allow you to almost feel what the food should taste like. But at the same time giving you creative licence to bend them to your own whim, without the feelings of guilt that other writers give. He seems to care enough about the readers to realise that sometimes we don't have or don't like something - "worry not" he seems to wisper from the pages "leave it out, use something else". Things may taste different but that's the whole point - eat it, enjoy it, change it again!
This book will never bore you with the same old recipes every time you read it - it has a life of it's own, new ideas spring from every page, screaming "try me, NOW". All I can say is, I love Nigel Slater and Appetite is the latest in a long line of fantastic books.

5.0 out of 5 stars King of the kitchen does it again., 3 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Appetite (Hardcover)
What a fantastic book. Not even Jamie Oliver's cheeky chappy charm can compare with the infectious enthusiasm of Nigel Slater's prose. There's nothing precious or prescriptive about Appetite - it's giving me the confidence to trust in good ingredients and instinct rather than slavishly following recipes - and making cooking a lot of fun. The ideas are brilliant and the accompanying photos mouthwatering in the extreme. This is the most beautifully produced cook book I've seen; it's a pleasure just to browse through let alone cook with. When my oven was temporarily out of action last week, I was consumed with frustration every time I caught sight of the onion and Taleggio tart. But even with just a couple of gas rings to play with I was able to prepare a delicious meal using Nigel Slater's 'quick frying pan suppers' section - tender pork escalopes tossed in a little flour and seasoning to add a slight, crisp crust, with a marsala and parsley sauce. This book should be on everybody's Christmas list. Yum!

5.0 out of 5 stars The man is a genius..., 29 April 2005
Miss Helen L. Walker "missdragonara" (Pudsey, West Yorks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Appetite: So What Do You Want to Eat Today? (Paperback)
I own a numbr of Nigel Slater's books and this is my favourite - I have given copies to my parents and to my friends! No matter what occasion I'm cooking for I return to it again and again. Just reading the recipes makes me want to cook them and they all feel achievable. Everything I have cooked has turned out beautifully and tasted magnificent.
It is especially useful, if like me, you are a bit picky about your food. There are so many options for each of the recipes. It makes it easy to adapt to fit in with food foibles or store cupboard limitations.
Whatever you do though, don't ignore the first part of the book. This reference section is written with humour and a level of practicality that seems alien to so many food writers.
No shelf of cookery books is complete without this one.

Appetite: So What Do You Want to Eat Today?
Appetite: So What Do You Want to Eat Today? by Nigel Slater (Paperback - 17 Sep 2009)
14.00