5.0 out of 5 stars Some of the things said by Sonny only a biker would understa
Published on 21 Aug. 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but not a nice guy!
On recent holiday, I read this book - partly as a holiday read and also because I ride a Harley-Davidson. I read a lot of biographies and many times get inspiration from the main characters; I always look for something in someone to take with me when I've finished the book.
Published on 21 July 2001 by EFMOL

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but not a nice guy!, 21 July 2001
Sonny Barger's "party and ride" approach to life seems to have been at the expense of everybody else - however, he tells it as it was and his no holds barred approach is at least honest if not commendable. He's no Heaven's Angel - that's for sure. I felt that throughout the book, Sonny should somehow apologise for his drug-using, police-hating, brawling, bullying lifestyle - but I knew we wouldn't get this. I think the only thing he regrets is smoking so many Camels.
I found the book jumped around a lot and also assumed that the reader already knew a lot about HAMC (which I didn't). Many characters made brief appearances and it was sometimes hard to follow whom they were. There is genuine sadness at the loss of so many of his comrades.
I would recommend this book to others who want to get inside the mind of hell raisers like Sonny.
As for taking something from this book? In a fight, Sonny is definitely the kind of guy you want on your side. If he is your "brother" - then your enemies are his, doesn't matter what the cause of enmity is about. The Army probably blew its chances of winning the Vietnam War when they kicked him out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Some of the things said by Sonny only a biker would understa, 21 Aug. 2000
By A Customer
This book comes accross as being a true account of the times and events and what it was like being not only a member of the HAMC but a leader of the HAMC. If a total outsider was to read this book I find it hard to imagine that they would understand the way that bikers look after their own kind, there is no other culture on this planet that has the same commitment to looking after each other and if you can try to understand that at least a little bit, then you would understand the passion that the people in the book had about their life style and their bikes. The subject is very serious but it's been put over in a way most people can understand and smile at, if you have an open mind and let people get on with their lives when they are doing you no harm, then I think you would enjoy the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars 81 ways you will like this, 13 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Hell's Angel: The Life and Times of Sonny Barger and the Hell's Angels Motorcycle Club (Paperback)
This is a great dycotomy of the life and times of a Hells Angel told by the grandfather of this great brotherhood. Although at times it seems a little too 'American gung ho' it is a superb book and well worth the read though I confess that I preferred Sonny's "Credos - Freedom of the Road" better though that is more of a handbook on how to live your life by a moral code whereas this is a history of the Hells Angels. If you are at all curious or support the Red & White then buy it, you won't regret it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Freedom?, 29 Jun. 2010
This book could be called "Sonny Barger, a self proclaimed anarchist" because that's what he is. He'd be happy if America did away with law enforcement agencies all together and he was allowed to do exactly as he wanted. Sonny has lead a tough life, but made it all the harder by thinking he can beat the system. I wouldn't recommend this tome as it's pretty joyless and requires a certain amount of committment to get through as Barger does tend to write with his fists. However, if interesting insights into the internal workings of a hard man is your thing, then this will do nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Mar. 2012
I found this a great read. I was constantly looking at how much was left, hoping it would go on for longer. I ride a Harley and am a member of a HOG Chapter, although not everyone will agree with the way the Hells Angles live their lives, you got to admire their obsession for Harleys and their obvious experienced and skilled riding techniques. I couldn't put it down and although I wouldn't say Sonny is a ledged to the ordinary everyday man, I'd love to sit with him and hear more of his stories!! I'll certainly be reading more written by him and others on the subject of this extraordinary motorcycle club. If your unsure whether it's your thing or not, my advise, give it go, you'll be surprised of the detail included in it. If you like Harleys go for it, a very enjoyable read.

3.0 out of 5 stars An intersting subject but a book that never quite gets there, 16 Jun. 2001
By A Customer
This was an interesting read and yet somehow dissapointing. You get the facts in a dicursive manner as though you are reading the transcripts of a series of interviews. What is overwelming is the destructiveness and the inconsistency. Self detruction and the destruction of those in anyway involved. Inconsistency in Barger's "true American" stance. It is interesting that the Angels only exist in western liberal democracies. On the big questions the final chapters really make you wince as there is an attempt to address God and the state of the world. The only answer is that there are no answers here. I am pleased I read it but doubt I'd bother twice.

5.0 out of 5 stars An extraordinary true life account, 16 Nov. 2000
I queued up for the signed copy of Sonny's book and heard his brando-esque narrative through every page. Painfully honest at the expense of himself and others. This digs deep into the psyche of a true American. Equally at home on the road as well as incarcerated, Sonny carries his considerable persona like Atlas. You cannot help but admire his understatedness. This would make a good film no doubt their are already a few options from Hollywood. I dont think sonny is in any hurry to turn to film a story that he must consider a very considered and long awaited response.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spinning sideways through modern history, 15 Aug. 2011
Outlaws (no pun intended) are always fascinating, and none as much as the Angels. Here's original captain Barger's version of the truth (remember to read Hunter S. Thompson's), and it's a great look on America from a very, very different angle of view ... Penned by the same two that co-wrote John Lydon's excellent autobiography ("No Irish. No Blacks. No dogs"), and very readable. Brutal and revealing, it gives us a glimpse into a reality that have more in common with Viking myths than post-war America. Oh, and don't touch their bikes. Ever.

3.0 out of 5 stars I would recommend, but would not rave about., 4 Nov. 2014
I first read tony Thompson's book outlaws and was looking for something on the hells angels so sonny barger seemed the apt place to start.

The book is readable and enjoyable in parts. I found that because it is not chronological it, at times,becomes difficult to keep up. Sonny Barger s story is definitely an interesting one, but I think the content could have been handled better.

I would recommend this book, but I would not rave about. The kindle version also ha no photographs which US very disappointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars I did especially like the part of the book that covers the Altamont ..., 17 Jun. 2015
Although this is a fascinating book, it jumps around far too much between events and times to give a linear coherent picture of Sonny Barger's life. For me it doesn't really work too well as an auto biography, it's more a series of individual recollections grouped together. I did especially like the part of the book that covers the Altamont free concert and the way that the Rolling Stones tried to use the Hells Angels public 'bad boy' image to their own ends. It's easy to read but ultimately a bit disappointing.