5.0 out of 5 stars Please read this book (again!)
I felt compelled to write a review of this book since two of the previous reviewers only gave it two stars. Don't believe it!!
Published on 21 Dec 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather depressing
I tried really, really hard to get into this. I did finish it but it was nearly always a chore rather than a pleasure. I was surprised and disappointed, as 1) the film was excellent 2) it's a clever, twisted three strand plot 3) I love the writing of Virginia Woolf and the author here appears to be striving to write in her style.

I just found far too much...
Published on 31 Jan 2008 by Four Violets

5.0 out of 5 stars Please read this book (again!), 21 Dec 2000
This review is from: The Hours (Paperback)
This is a truly inspiring and deeply thought-provoking book, based on a profound appreciation of Woolf's novel. It is written with marvellous economy and scholarship, tightly structured around a single day in the lives of three women. The meeting of two of the characters in the final chapter is the least important of the linkages between the three strands and after all that has gone before seems partly irrelevant.
The themes of 'Mrs Dalloway' which the book picks up and develops are among the most simple and entrancing - love, loss, consciousness, how and why we go on living. And I'm sure there's plenty that I missed.
I'm looking forward to re-reading this book and I do encourage those readers who didn't appreciate it first time round to do the same. This powerful little book may not reveal all it's depths to you without a little work but that should do nothing to diminish your enjoyment of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars a novel within a novel within a novel, 15 July 2002
A. Peel (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hours (Paperback)
I can only comment on "The Hours" in its own right, not having read Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf, but in a sense this might allow me to judge the work more objectively. Whilst I undoubtedly overlook certain intricacies in the plot it is very important to mention that my enjoyment was definitely not limited by not having read "Mrs Dalloway" previously.
In my humble opinion, the novel is extremely cleverly constructed and appears to be the work of an utter perfectionist. Cunningham demonstrates such incredible understanding of the life, time and mind of Virginina Woolf that his historical research was clearly scrupulous. He delves into the very depths of the minds of his female characters in particular; notably those who most seem to mirror Virginia Woolf. He shows an exquisite and very delicate sensitivity to his characters, and you truly sense that he is totally at one with them all, as well as with their differing fictional worlds, each of which seems to be tainted with Virginia's sadness, isolation and reflection, despite the fact that the characters' world seems to overflow with love as well as material comforts.
I found the book a great pleasure to read. It really is a novel within a novel within a novel, and the three parralel plots blur around the edges. The book is all fictional, if based on reality, and yet this is three-level fiction, leading the reader to question who is whose fiction and where the lines between fiction and reality can really be drawn? We are also lead to ponder on when fiction is fantasy and when it is an outsourcing of real anguish, fear and frustration, for Virginia, and even, through Virginia and the other protaganists, for Cunningham himself? It is a multi-layered and highly thought-provoking masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, 9 Dec 2001
This review is from: The Hours (Paperback)
This book is unworthy of criticism, it is written with sublime beautiful prose and consumes the reader with richly crafted sentences.
It might not change your life but it certainly will make you feel good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendidly written, and truly fascinating, 6 Nov 2000
This review is from: The Hours (Paperback)
I think this is one great novel. It is highly readable, and at the same time written in such a stile... it so much reminds us of Virgina Woolf. And at the same time the story and the characters appear so modern. Last, but not least, a story which is intense and fascinating up to the (surprising) end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant., 17 April 2000
This review is from: The Hours (Paperback)
I am compelled to write an impromptu review, seeing that the only other reviewer saw fit to allow a paltry 2 stars to this elegant gem of a book. I first read The Hours over a year ago, after reading several glowing newspaper and magazine reviews. I was not disappointed. This little novel has really stuck in my mind-- I'm sure I will read it again and again in my lifetime.
The great accomplishment of this novel is the way that Cunningham has absolutely captured Virginia Woolf-- her life, her spirit, and her writing style. Had I not known otherwise, I would never have believed that this was written by a man. Her wit, the off-center brilliance of her observations, her malaise and isolation, are all perfectly captured here. But the GENIUS of the story is the way in which her life, and most especially her death, are not made to seem sad, but beautiful and poetic in a way that touches us all. He shows this by linking Woolf in unexpected ways to the lives of two very different women living in different eras. Great literature is transcendant in ways that we rarely appreciate in our day-to-day lives; Cunningham has shown that there can be great poetry and meaning even in shopping, baking, and death.

5.0 out of 5 stars seventeen and impressed, 29 Sep 2003
ollie (Renfrewshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hours (Paperback)
I was getting sick of harry potter, I couldn’t handle the hype anymore, so for my next book I wanted a more mature angle to it with no broomsticks in sight!
I needed a book for a school project, a book with enough detail and inspiration to have a basis for an essay. I looked no further than ‘the hours’.
At first I was a bit unsure if it was the right choice but once I started reading I just refused to put it down. This book was by far one of the most inspirational, moving and emotional that I have ever read.
As I read many of the reviews I can see many adults reviewing their best parts of ‘the hours’ and practically writing a whole essay in doing so. But for a book that would blow away a seventeen year old boy, leave him questioning life, leave him out of breath, leave him with a tear on his cheek has to get more than a patronizing “Well done” it deserves more so much more.

4.0 out of 5 stars No mere homage, 16 Nov 2002
This review is from: The Hours (Paperback)
This novel is more than just an homage to Mrs Dalloway, in fact its references to and parallels with that novel at times detract from the emotional force of The Hours. Following a superb account of Woolf's suicide, it examines a day in the life of Woolf herself, during the writing of Mrs Dalloway, of a woman in modern New York whose life parallels Mrs Dalloway's (a little too cutely), and of a woman in post-war L.A. engrossed in reading Mrs Dalloway as she struggles to accept the comforts of happy domesticity.
To fully appreciate The Hours familiarity with Woolf's novel is essential, though an homage alone would be pointless. Cunningham brilliantly, and concisely, presents the lives and concerns - with death, with failure - of his characters in superb prose that echoes without mimicking Woolf's.
If you're not familiar with Mrs Dalloway I strongly urge you to treat yourself to that novel and then follow it with this, a warm, beautiful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 12 April 2003
This review is from: The Hours (Paperback)
This book is more than just a narra tive or a homage to Virginia Woolf. It is a deep and beautiful reflection on the meaning of life itself. I have never read Mrs Dalloway. Maybe if I had I would not have been so impressed but there it is.
What I found really special about this book is the wonderful way it somehow captures all the really important emotions in a kind of snapshot moment.This is illustrated especially well in the scene where Laura Brown Bakes a cake with her little boy. This is the Kind of book where you want to stop now and again to kind of take stock of what your reading and realise quite how special it is. The way the plots come together in the final few chapters is breathtaking and very clever.
The writing style used in this book is very unusual and I think that it works really well. The brave move of writing in the present tense has the effect of making the story much more near, much more real. The language, with out being overly complex conjures up amazingly vivid an beautiful pictures. The pace of the novel although a little slow never drags nor is the book ever boring.

5.0 out of 5 stars BREATHTAKENLY STUNNING!!!, 25 Oct 2002
This review is from: The Hours (Paperback)
I didn't want it to be over the first time I read it. It made me weep and sober almost every three pages. I've bought it around fifteen times as birthdays presents. I'm a quite picky reader and so far I haven¬'t read anything as intense, precise, down to Earth, lyrical, intimate, solid and invigorating as this novel. What Mr. Cunningham has done is just uncanny: he has been patient enough to let you relax and forget about him so he could listen to the sound of your everyday mental gear. He has ripped your heart off your chest with inmense delicacy and wrapped it up in satin paper. Now you can have it back. He has given it a new name. It's called THE HOURS.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully written, resonant story, 16 Nov 2010
Jeremy Walton (Sidmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Hours (Paperback)
I picked this up last month and read it after having watched the excellent film adaption. It's a beautifully written story that uses the life (and death) of Virginia Woolf as a starting point - in particular, the moment when she started work on her 1925 novel Mrs Dalloway. The other two main characters are Laura Brown, a young wife and mother in post-WWII Los Angeles who's trying to read that book, and Clarissa Vaughan, a woman in her early fifties living in Greenwich Village who's planning a party for her friend, a prize-winning poet who's dying of AIDS. We're presented with a day in each of these women's lives, and we jump between them over the course of the book.

If you've read Mrs Dalloway, you'll remember that her first name was Clarissa as well, and that the day covered by the novel sees her planning a party. If (like me) you haven't, it doesn't affect your enjoyment of this story, because there are plenty of internal allusions to keep you busy as you're drawn into the lives of these women. Specific external things such as flowers (buying them, putting them on a cake, using them to adorn a grave) are echoed in each story, but most of the action - if that's the right word - is internalized, as we share their thoughts, feelings and memories. It can be hard to maintain the reader's interest when so much time is spent in the character's heads, but I was hooked by the poetic quality of the writing. Here, for example, are Laura's thoughts as she surprises herself by taking her neighbour Kitty in an embrace that begins as sympathy and ends as something stronger:

"Here is the stout, practical heart that beats beneath; here are the watery lights of her being - deep pink lights, red-gold lights, glittering, unsteady; lights that gather and disperse; here are the depths of Kitty, the heart beneath the heart; the untouchable essence that a man (Ray, of all people!) dreams of, yearns toward, searches for so desperately at night." (p109)

Such striking imagery is handled adeptly in this resonant tale, which contains memorable insights into the nature of love, memory, death and - well, time (as reflected in its title). Highly recommended.

The Hours
The Hours by Michael Cunningham (Paperback - 2 Jan 2003)