5.0 out of 5 stars Barefoot in the Kitchen ~ immensely practical
This kind of book has the potential to be either twee or holier-than-thou. However this book manages, rather wonderfully, to be neither.

Published on 18 Jun 2007 by H. J. Cockshaw

2.0 out of 5 stars not very interesting
This book's concept is in the title, you don't have to go much further. I read the intro with excitement thinking 'this is going to be great' but there's really nothing original in what she writes, it's quite boring and I gave up 30 pages in.
Published on 8 May 2010 by S. Hebden

5.0 out of 5 stars Barefoot in the Kitchen ~ immensely practical, 18 Jun 2007
This review is from: Barefoot in the Kitchen: Bible Readings and Reflections for Mothers (Paperback)

It is a collection of short reflections for, primarily though not exclusively, mothers of young children. There are Bible passages, prayers, practical suggestions and examples from the author's own life (as a mother of four and a vicar's wife!) Different subject areas are covered as you read through the book, including quiet rest, prayer, patience and obedience.

The author understands what it is like to feel trapped and to have constant demands on your time and attention. But she passes on hope that you can find God in that. Her suggestions are immensely practical and do-able. It wasn't many pages through the book when I began to think, `Can it all be this good?' It is a good and helpful format. Her examples from her own life are very honest and familiar, from someone who comes across at not a natural `home bird' I began to be able to both see the future and to appreciate what I have now. She passed on hope.

By the last page of this book, I was in tears. They were tears of hope, joy, repentance, tears of excitement about the future, tears for the passing of time. What I have learned from this book about myself, about God and about prayer will stay with me for a long time. I read this book right through but I definitely plan to reread it in daily devotions size chunks as it was intended to be read.

The feminist in me did occasionally have her heckles up! But maybe that's just me!

I would recommend this book to all mothers, of children of all ages. In fact any woman who felt that time was short and her relationship with God was lacking. Although it is primarily aimed at women who are at home with their children, I think the ideas and observations in here are very applicable to mothers who work outside of the home too.

review by Hilary Cockshaw at [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book - if you've ever felt frustrated as a mother, get it now!, 2 Mar 2008
This book takes a realistic and thought provoking look at the everyday frustrations and joys of bringing up young children. Drawing from her own experiences of post-natal depression and the difficulties of being a mother to young children the author takes you on her journey through them to acceptance, joy and fulfilment. The route will make you laugh, cry and determine to live for God in the here and now.

As an undomestic former career woman who struggles with the practicalities of life with 2 small children, and who can feel insanely jealous of my husband every time he gets to do a presenation or attend a conference, it was a relief to read a book by someone who understood and who had been there too. I've bought copies for 8 of my friends, the short segments make it easy to pick up in the odd spare moment and the chatty writing style means it's also easy to read.

Highly reccomended!

Rebecca

5.0 out of 5 stars She absolutely knows!, 28 Mar 2013
this fab book from a woman who has been there, done that and got the t-shirt 4 times over. reassuringly down to earth, but upliftingly spiritual, a tonic for a new mother (or an old tired one) who misses church or feels overwhelmed by motherhood, or combining faith/sprirituality with new motherhood - yes, there is room for both, it's just a question of juggling, reclaiming and recognising. this was an amazing book and i have either recommended or bought copies for a few of my new mum friends as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars all mums could read it, 7 Oct 2013
this book helped (and still does) me during the first difficult months with my new baby. I strongly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 Jun 2011
Loved this book. It really helped me to stay close to God through the most busyest time of my life. Would definatly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 19 Mar 2011
This book is helpful at rediscovering a way to worship in our own homes with young children. It can easily be a desert experience. The author is real, the book shares that we are not on our own. I would highly recommend this book, and sharing with friends from church too.

5.0 out of 5 stars recommended for busy Christian mums, 21 Oct 2008
haven't read right the way through this book, but am enjoying it so far, when I get a moment to myself! The author is really good at explaining about Christianity etc, without sounding too preachy.

2.0 out of 5 stars not very interesting, 8 May 2010