on 4 April 2006
This book has an incredible amount of information ranging from tools, basic techniques to alternative firing and kilns. This book has been so helpful to me as a student focusing on experimental work and new methods of decorating and gets your imagination going and motivation to create a new piece day in day out. I would recommend this book to new students and professionals alike. It is so good my university tutor looked through it and bought one of her own!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 15 November 2008
Here is a book that will not fail to satisfy. As a potter, I have read many books on the subject and if you only intend to buy one book on the subject, this would be a good one to buy.
It is beautifully presented, packed full of useful information and well illustrated with examples of work from some of the best in their field. It not only looks good, but it comes up with the goods. It is indeed a complete reference, a definitive guide taking you through all the processes from choosing clay to the finished product whether you wish to make pots by hand or throw them on a wheel. I believe beginners and experienced potters alike will find this mine of information of use. Learn how to pinch, coil and slab-build. See how to throw a teapot, how to create large structures and how to use or create moulds. Find out how to furnish a studio and what equipment to buy.
This easy to follow, how-to-guide covers many types of surface decoration techniques that are good to have on hand. The practical information is backed up by design ideas and inspiration. This beautiful and well-thought out book really is my favourite book on pottery. It is very favourably priced too.
on 4 January 2010
We have several books on the subject but, as they were packed away while we wait for our new home to be finished, we needed a stopgap to enable us to continue with our hobby and a newly bought kiln.
This book did the job more than adequately.
The layout and photos are excellent, graphic and the best guides to the whole subject that we've ever seen.
The book is a well produced softbacked book too which doesn't try and break its back on constant use.
The price was exceptionally realistic.
Congratulations to the author who doesn't only know his subject but how to put it across.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 August 2009
The last time I worked with clay was when I was a student at Art college back in the 1970s.
Since then I have been more involved with photography and computers, so the chance to get back to something 'hands on' was welcome.
This book is an excellent starting point for anyone who who is new to pottery, and I suspect that it will also be useful as a reference book for the more experienced worker.
It is very clearly organised, with excellent photographs and is full of useful information.
I'll report back in about 6 months when I have had the chance to put some of the information into practise.
on 11 February 2010
A great introduction to the ceramic process which I've found to be a source of inspiration more than once.
on 21 April 2010
This is a good book to have for reference on all aspects of clay work. it is obviously difficult to learn from a book only but if you have a wee bit of experience then this is handy to have to refresh your memory and give you ideas
on 7 November 2011
This book is an excellent comprehensive manual for all those readers interested in pottery - particularly those wishing to create their own pottery.
The book is large enough to contain all the necessary information plus helpful photos.
The copy I bought from amazon.co.uk was in excellent condition when it arrived!
I've just started ceramics, been doing it for about six months. This is easily the book that covers the details at the right level, makes things understandable and doesn't obscure the technical side with either too many fluffy craft speeches or technobabble. I have found it very helpful and easily the best sub £20 (I paid less than 10) book for the beginner potter.

***UPDATE June 2011*** This book has become my main source of information. We recently brought our first (secondhand) kiln, and have relied on The Complete Potter to guide us through our first firings.
on 30 August 2007
This is a wonderful book for those new to pottery. It presents a wealth of information about different techniques and aspects of ceramics alongside a fantastic selection of work by ceramic artists.
on 16 June 2014
I have done ceramic work for a number of years but I found when I started reading this book I just could not put it down! I though I knew quite a bit about ceramic work but I found myself muttering things like "Oh yes I could try that" and "I must find out more about that".
This book is DANGEROUS!!! I found myself even taking it to the loo and after reading it bought another 4 books about ceramic subjects that I had not really considered before!