‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars What a buy!, 4 April 2006
C. V. McCulloch "kv_mc" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Potter's Guide to Ceramic Surfaces: A Practical Directory of Ceramic Surface Decoration Techniques, Plus Guidance on How Best to Use Them (Paperback)
I was in a ceramic book buying mood a while back and I think I bought about 3. I'm interested in textures and new methods of decorating. I thought this book was fantastic in supplying me with plenty of ideas to try and used many as a starting block for new techniques. It covers basic and modern techniques as well as other aspects of ceramics.
A must for those studying, interested or working in ceramics!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent....great value for money., 8 Jun 2008
I purchased this book about 5 years ago and I still refer to it. It has a vast amount of information about ceramic techniques. Anyone interested in ceramics would benefit from this book. I don't rate books 5 stars unless they are fantastic and this book definately deserves all 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Atlast a contempory techniques book!, 28 May 2002
By A Customer
This is a book that is not afraid to mix traditional techniques with contemporary ideas. Good layout, with lots of images of up to date potters and ceramic artists. Good to see alternative firing techniques included aswell. The first techniques book (and I have brought alot!) I am totally happy with.

5.0 out of 5 stars a book for all abilities, 7 Oct 2003
I recently purchased this book, and took it into college to show my colleagues - it covers so many techniques, with clear, colour photos and shows a huge range of contemporary works to demonstrate different effects. I've since bought a further copy from Amazon at the request of the college, and now three other students have asked me to get the book for them next time I order from Amazon!! It's a great book to browse through on the sofa of an evening, and to inspire one to have a go at something new.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Inspiration!, 22 Feb 2004
By A Customer
Bought this book recently and would recommend it to anyone involved in ceramics. It gives clear, concise, up to date information on lots of ways to texture and decorate your work and great illustrations provide lots of inspiration. Well worth the money, the type of book you can revisit time and time again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A long life, inspirational book, 22 Sep 2010
I teach pottery and have found this book invaluable for ideas for my classes. The colour photos show the techniques very well and the text is easy to read. Projects can be used by beginners and the more experienced, thus giving a wide reading audience. I find that I can turn to this book when I'm stuck for ideas for my own work and need some inspiration. This is a book that has a long life, it can be visited over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars decorating pottery, 5 April 2010
Rosalind Lacey (Dorset UK) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book. Beautifully illustrated and inspirational because of that. I would have liked an expansion on the use of Oxides and stains. Have seen great items with this kind of decoration in shows but no idea how certain effects were acheived. This book is an excellent tool for the beginner and the experienced but can't encompass everything, I guess.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference book, 9 Dec 2010
This book has been in my library for the best part of 5 years and it continues to inspire and inform, especially when I need a little oomph when designing new forms or exploring new directions. Although the writing is excellent and the photos are of a comparable quality, it is more because Jo Connell is so authoritative, so knowledgeable in her tone that I always come away with an idea of what I should be doing in my work. Her glaze recipes are simple and wonderfully effective, such a difference to glaze recipes that look good on paper but rarely satisfy when you look into the kiln.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy!, 22 Mar 2009
S. V. Barker "Lancastrian Reader" (Lancaster UK) - See all my reviews
This is a book which lives up to expectations. A wealth of ideas, clearly explained and well-photographed - for all levels of ability.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 25 Oct 2007
P. SAMPAIO (SP, Brasil) - See all my reviews
It's the best book about ceramics that I bought. It has examples of many different kinds of surfaces. I think it's a book anyone of ceramic's world should have.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›