Format: Hardcover|Change

on 3 March 2014
If, like me, you've ever been stumped for what to cook your vegetarian friend, or just wanted to incorporate more veggies into your and your children's diet, this book is a godsend. It's full of simple, relatively quick, tasty dishes, all presented in Leon's standard stylised, accessible, home-cookbook manner.

The book's divided into two sections – one where the veggies are the stars and 'can stand on their own as a whole meal' and another where they're more the support act (i.e. side dishes). There seems to be a bit of crossover – particularly in the chapter dedicated to cooking for children – but by and large the first section is where you'll find mains and starters, the second sides (and a little chapter on fruity puddings).

The dishes are kept simple – 'Turnips, beetroot & orange', for example – but it's the combination of flavours, seasonings and dressings that give them the edge, and there are lots of combinations I wouldn't have thought of before. Plus (and probably most importantly) most of the ingredients are either the kind of thing you'd already have in your cupboards, or something that you could pick up easily. No more hunting around for obscure ingredients! I can see this becoming my go-to kitchen cookbook for many meals to come.
on 14 May 2014
Sick of vegetarian cook books which rely heavily on cheese, eggs or pasta? Then this is the one for you. I have shelves of cool books, but this is my absolute tasty favourite as of a few weeks ago when so took the plunge and treated myself. I love this book, the recipes are quick, really work, and are yum. So far everything I have cooked has been delicious. As a plus the photos are very well organised, and endearing.
on 24 May 2014
I enjoyed Jane Baxters recipes in the Riverford cookbooks and here she has teamed up with the Leon team for a fast vegetarian cookbook.I have tried several recipes the vegetable jambalaya was particularly good.
on 19 July 2014
I have all the big Leon books and this one is a must for your collection. I have a lot of books and I am very picky these days about which new ones I add to my collection.
This is hearty home cooking, great for family meals and not boring.
on 25 May 2014
This is a lovely recipe book. The vegetarian recipes are easy to make and are full of flavour! The family (including 4 year old twins) have loved everything that I have made so far. I highly recommend it. You don't have to be a vegetarianto love it!
on 22 June 2016
A really great selection of vegetarian recipes with a wide variety of key ingredients. The book really encompasses a mixture of dishes including starters, mains, sides, deserts, dressings and sauces. The two recipes we have tried to far (soba noodles with vegetables & polenta with creamed kale) were both delicious and idiot-proof; a necessity in our kitchen! Highly recommend to all chefs; even those seasoned vegetarians are sure to find some new and exciting ideas in here.
on 9 December 2014
Great vegetarian cookery book, and I'm not even vegetarian.
So many of these recipes you can make from products in your own cupboard, don't worry about having to source difficult to find ingredients.
The recipes are straightforward and tasty and can be cooked after work, I have made over 10 recipes from this book, including the courgette and tomato lasagne, baked butternut squash and cheese and pea fritters.
I even had to buy a copy for my 60 year old parents!
on 18 February 2016
Some cook books disappointingly have too much of authors uninteresting personal stuff, pictures of family, friends and kids rather than full of useful and appealing recipes....this is one, find a cheap copy if you must
on 18 December 2015
Bought this as a Christmas gift for my daughter & Family. She has shelves of Cookery books and I just know she will love this one. It's a substantial sized book with nice illustrations and well worth the money.
on 7 May 2014
I have been a vegetarian for a VERY long time so I've seen and read my fair share of 'veggie' cookery books and love to find something new to try.
I was given this book as a birthday present and I have to say that on looking through it there was absolutely nothing I wanted to try.
Not one of the recipes seemed like a new twist on anything I have already seen and that coupled with the liberal and unnecessary sprinkling of old family and childhood photographs which have nothing at all to do with the recipes (pictures of the food are always a good idea in my opinion) make it a book that will be left on the shelf to gather dust.
I shall stick to my copy of Crank's Bible,