Format: Hardcover|Change

on 19 January 2012
Orla Kiely is an orginal: Irish, female, anti-loud and cheap fashion designer. She tells her story from her Dublin childhood, her textile studies in London, international experience in the fashion industry to the launch of her own products and success. This book is exceedingly interesting not only for the stories it tells, but also for its content of pages upon pages of 60's inspired patterns and great designs. A great source book and a true inspiration for aspiring textile and fashion designers who aren't into throw-away fashion. Highly recommended.
on 10 October 2010
This book is beautiful from the first page to the last, well worth the money and would make a wonderful gift for anyone who likes Orla Kiely.
on 27 April 2011
I had had my eye on this book for a while and when I found it on Amazon at this great price I was very chuffed indeed. It certainly doesn't disappoint and if you're looking for a statement book for your coffee table, this will do a sterling job! It's size and weight are one thing, but the content doesn't disappoint either; a fascinating insight into the life of Orla Kiely and her path into design, fab photography and full page blasts of pattern make this book informative and a real design treasure for any creative type out there. Love the texture of the cover too!
on 1 April 2012
I bought this book, heavily discounted, from The Book People, and, even so, I feel a bit cheated. The title is "Pattern", but the thing that has struck me most about the book is how little pattern there is. In fact, there's an awful lot of text, and most of that isn't about the patterns but a life history. I don't have a problem with that per se, but it would have been nice if that had been reflected in the title, so it could have given a better and more accurate idea of what the book was truly about.

I would also say that another, quite revealing, feature of the book is just how repetitive the patterns are - talk about flogging a dead horse (and such grim, dull 70s colours - it was like reliving my childhood!)! Perhaps the purpose of the text is to distract from this. Having been through the book it is now quite tempting to say that this is a prime example of The Emperor's New Clothes.

Another reviewer has wondered whether the lack of patterns is to help prevent copyright infringement, but this is something that has not prevented Cath Kidston from including patterns for copying in her books "Sew!", "Patch!" and "Make!".

The one thing that the book has in its favour is the gorgeous textured cover, which makes it enormously tactile and wonderful to handle.
on 17 December 2010
This is a fantastic book. I bought it as a present to myself, but it would make a great gift for anyone who loves pattern and design. Orla Kiely's products have always tempted me - I love her retro take on things - and this book explains her history and thought process in a thorough but very easy to read and follow dialogue. The pictures are wonderful too! It's on my coffee table and even though I've read it from cover to cover, I still go back to it again and again.
on 4 June 2011
This is a really 'treaty' book which is perfect for a present, or a little bit of self-indulgence. It's crammed with photographs, but is also a really thoughtful, well written read for anyone interested in design, fashion or art. I love my copy so much I've ordered another as a present for my best friend who is a huge Orla fan.
on 2 October 2010
As a Huge Orla fan, I admit i was wondering what this book would be like. I thought it'd be simply a catalogue of her work, with little writing.

Having Orla prints in ever room of our house, I was thinking I had nothing new to see, however I love the honesty in this book, and the delicate writing about her up bringing.

Orla, if your reading this, you should be very proud, yet again- you've nailed it. As with everything you do.

A must!
on 5 April 2011
This is a must have book for anyone interested in design. It is a chunky hardback book with wonderful images from Orla Kiely's extensive collection. She details her story of her rise to fame and is absolutely inspirational. Love it.
on 18 January 2012
I was quite surprised at this book when it arrived. I thought, mainly from the title I suppose, that this would be Orla's experienced treatise on surface pattern design, not an illustrated autobiography.

Although it is certainly a beautiful book, thoughtfully designed and full of lovely images, for me it was let down by the dull and leaden text. Her pattern design is full of wit, an assured sense of colour and an almost OCD sense of order, but where is that personality in the writing? The book reads like a school essay. A little bit of a helping hand from the editor to inject some wit would have been most welcome, either that or cut the text altogether and leave us with the beautiful pictures to look at.
on 10 January 2012
This book is amazing it holds everything you need to know about Orla Kiely's life and her work.If the book is one thing it is inspirational to any designer!!!! Yay for Orla Kiely!!!