5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and beautiful book

Published on 19 Oct 2011 by Lucy Wing

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and beautiful book, 3 Nov 2011
This review is from: Leon: Baking & Puddings (Hardcover)
First a confession. I am a bit of a baking fanatic. I have countless baking and pudding books and like to try new recipes as often as I can. Leon: Baking & Puddings is the heftiest of my baking books at more than 300 pages. It is also one of the best designed: the layout is clean and easy to follow but fun with lots of lovely little elements and a sort of homey scrapbook feel. The books is divided into two parts (everyday and celebration) but there's a lot of sub chapters such as chocolate, baking with children, breads etc. There's also a very good intro section with tips and techniques which I recommend even seasoned bakers to read - I learned a lot about using somewhat unusual ingredients.

The book is a really good read. I am not really comfortable making bread but after reading through the bread section I was very inspired to try something new (sourdough starter). There's many classic recipes with 'Leon' twists added - the ingredients tweaked or method adjusted. But there's also a lot new (to me at least) recipes.

So far I have made the Halloween Biscuits with my daughter which we then decorated at her Halloween party - huge success and tons of fun. The pumpkin pie was also fantastic, wonderful autumny flavour and very moreish - the tricky part was finding the tinned purreed pumpkin. The Life by Chocolate cake however tops it all. My husband made it for my birthday and as there's pictures for every step of the recipe process it was a doddle to make. It was beyond delicious and I have never seen a 'cake' (no flour in it) dissapear so quickly. I am very keen to try more recipes and have the lemon bars in mind...

5.0 out of 5 stars Where have i been hiding?, 6 Oct 2011
This review is from: Leon: Baking & Puddings (Hardcover)
Its either due to my own sheer ignorance or possibly the fact that I don't frequent the London area often but I'm a little late in discovering the magnificent Leon.
If it wasn't for the retro-style enticing cover on the face of the book I may have never given this fascinating book a chance, flicking through the pages and seeing the positively titled 'Good Scones' and the 'Bar of Good Things' only seemed to increase my curiosity and whet my appetite more.
Its a welcoming feeling to know that in such a health conscious day and age there are cookery books out there that are helping us to find ways to still enjoy tasty sweets and puddings in a healthy, more modern way. Nowadays there are not many people out there who don't have a friend who is wheat intolerant or a family member that's allergic to dairy, its becoming a more common problem especially when having a dinner party or a children's birthday tea to cater to everyone's personal needs. This is where 'Leon - Baking and Puddings' can step in and take some of those allergy related problems off your shoulders.
All of the recipes come with a simple guide that helps you recognise who it is best catered for, e.g. - low in saturated fats, wheat free, gluten free, vegetarian, dairy free etc, my favourite symbol being that of a fork decorated with devils horns which indicates that this dish is indulgent (and properly extremely naughty and bad for you!)
My only anger is that whilst I'm stuck here in the north west surrounded by the usual fast food outlets that try to convince you that deep fried chicken poked in between two processed white baps is nutritious, everyone in the London area is graced with the presence of a number of Leon restaurants who truly know what's good for you and make it their top priority to make food not only to enhance your health and wellbeing but to make it taste phenomenal as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leon Baking & Puddings, 18 Sep 2011
This review is from: Leon: Baking & Puddings (Hardcover)
As a lover of Leon Restaurants and a big fan of the other two cookbooks, I have not been disappointed with this book. It has loads of recipes that I can't wait to try and a lot of useful information about how ingredients work together, which appeals to the science geek in me.
Beautifully laid out in the style you come to expect from Leon.
I am very happy with my purchase and would thoroughly recommend it.
I'm buying a 2nd one for my friend's birthday. We are both wheat and gluten free eaters and this book has a lot to offer us. There are a lot of wf gf recipes and plenty of tips on how to adapt the ones that aren't.
A big thumbs up for this book.
Leon: Baking & Puddings. Book 3: Baking and Puddings (Leon Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars So Useful, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Leon: Baking & Puddings (Hardcover)
This is a great book and we have tried quite a lot of the recipes already. Especially good for cakes that do not use ordinary flour. Will have to try the other books in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new find, 17 Dec 2011
This review is from: Leon: Baking & Puddings (Hardcover)
Quite a big, heavy book comprising of more than 300 pages of beautifully illustrated well planned recipes.
Lots of recipes come with their own small 'Tips' section and are all listed as to whether or not they are Gluten, Dairy or wheat free.
The book is split into two sections each containing it's own selection of smaller sections. the two main parts are Everyday and Celebration.
Each recipe contains symbols ad icons which depict carbs, low saturated fats, wheat free etc. and levels of confidence in taking on a recipe. the key to these in found in the rather super introductory pages at the beginning of the book. My only critisism is it would have been better if the conversion chart had been easier to find quickly, say at the very front or very back of the book rather than on page 32, but now I'm am being very picky of what it otherwise an extremely super book.
Seems a shame that I had never heard of Leon the restaurant chain, maybe they should think of expanding nationally.
An ideal gift for anyone who loves to spend time in the kitchen. Will be seeking out their two other books over the next couple of weeks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leon 3 - Fab book, 6 Nov 2011
This review is from: Leon: Baking & Puddings (Hardcover)
Absolutely love this book, especially the number of recipes taht are gluten or dairy free. As an an avid cookbook collector all 3 Leon volumes occupy a special place on my shelves and this is certainly a worhtwhile addition. So far I've cooked the gluten free chocolate cake and the Leon Birthday cake, both cae out really well and were certainly appreciated by friends!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 19 Oct 2011
A. Greene "peachstar" (belfast n ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Leon: Baking & Puddings (Hardcover)
An absolute brillant cook book, that even covers glutten free recipes. Will have to get the others in the range, if they are as good as this, I will be delighted. Its not only recipes but lots of useful information as well.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 19 Oct 2011
This review is from: Leon: Baking & Puddings (Hardcover)
my 16 yr old son bought this out of his pocket money. he loves Leon. He can cook. 3 recipes we have tried simply do not seem to work. They say they are tested but we have found places where ingredients do not then appear in recipe - feel it is written in a rush, just for the sake of writing a book. My son disappointed and feels he wasted his pocket money. He has lost confidence and put the book to the back of the shelf. - sad

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Leon: Baking & Puddings (Hardcover)
lots of delicious puds and cakes

3.0 out of 5 stars Why fructose?, 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: Leon: Baking & Puddings (Hardcover)
Why is fructose being used in recipes that are meant to be healthy? Shouldn't the recipes have used more unrefined sugars?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Leon: Baking & Puddings
Leon: Baking & Puddings by Claire Ptak (Hardcover - 12 Sep 2011)
17.40