5.0 out of 5 stars Orla Kiely 'Pattern'
This book is beautiful from the first page to the last, well worth the money and would make a wonderful gift for anyone who likes Orla Kiely.
Published on 10 Oct 2010 by shelly

2.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat misleading...
Published on 1 April 2012 by Mary Peterson

5.0 out of 5 stars Orla Kiely 'Pattern', 10 Oct 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Stunning!, 20 Feb 2011
Amazon Customer (northamptonshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pattern (Hardcover)
This book will not disappoint if you are obsessed with pattern and design etc. like i am !!!!! I just love it, and each page is colourful and inspiring. One to keep forever :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars An original designer, 19 Jan 2012
Catherine Laz (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pattern (Hardcover)
Orla Kiely is an orginal: Irish, female, anti-loud and cheap fashion designer. She tells her story from her Dublin childhood, her textile studies in London, international experience in the fashion industry to the launch of her own products and success. This book is exceedingly interesting not only for the stories it tells, but also for its content of pages upon pages of 60's inspired patterns and great designs. A great source book and a true inspiration for aspiring textile and fashion designers who aren't into throw-away fashion. Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat misleading..., 1 April 2012
This review is from: Pattern (Hardcover)
I bought this book, heavily discounted, from The Book People, and, even so, I feel a bit cheated. The title is "Pattern", but the thing that has struck me most about the book is how little pattern there is. In fact, there's an awful lot of text, and most of that isn't about the patterns but a life history. I don't have a problem with that per se, but it would have been nice if that had been reflected in the title, so it could have given a better and more accurate idea of what the book was truly about.

I would also say that another, quite revealing, feature of the book is just how repetitive the patterns are - talk about flogging a dead horse (and such grim, dull 70s colours - it was like reliving my childhood!)! Perhaps the purpose of the text is to distract from this. Having been through the book it is now quite tempting to say that this is a prime example of The Emperor's New Clothes.

Another reviewer has wondered whether the lack of patterns is to help prevent copyright infringement, but this is something that has not prevented Cath Kidston from including patterns for copying in her books "Sew!", "Patch!" and "Make!".

The one thing that the book has in its favour is the gorgeous textured cover, which makes it enormously tactile and wonderful to handle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Biography come design bible, 2 Oct 2010
This review is from: Pattern (Hardcover)
As a Huge Orla fan, I admit i was wondering what this book would be like. I thought it'd be simply a catalogue of her work, with little writing.

Having Orla prints in ever room of our house, I was thinking I had nothing new to see, however I love the honesty in this book, and the delicate writing about her up bringing.

Orla, if your reading this, you should be very proud, yet again- you've nailed it. As with everything you do.

A must!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 17 Dec 2010
J. Woods "J. Woods" (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pattern (Hardcover)
This is a fantastic book. I bought it as a present to myself, but it would make a great gift for anyone who loves pattern and design. Orla Kiely's products have always tempted me - I love her retro take on things - and this book explains her history and thought process in a thorough but very easy to read and follow dialogue. The pictures are wonderful too! It's on my coffee table and even though I've read it from cover to cover, I still go back to it again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME ORLA - COMPACT HANDBAG SIZE - DITCH COSMO MAGS AND CARRY THIS AROUND ..!! -See Gallery ., 4 Mar 2014
Miss S (Wirral, Cheshire UK) - See all my reviews
I am a huge OK fan! and i was delighted to be able to get hold of this compact version of her work and much more for such a good price . As one reviewer suggested as well as being up there on the coffee table of trending and wearables yes !"for us ladies we can now have out walls in Orla and our shoes ! and souls thanks to Clarks designer collection ..but for your bag and out and about this is got to be the handiest ref ever while shopping ect buying for the home or for you , the style bible if you like .

You either have to be one of those people who does appreciate the talant that is Ms Kierly or not, but for me i really would like to think her book is in the hands of those with that little bit of extra ticking away in his or her brain ..as to me Orla is not just hanging on the band wagon of theis retro revival lark ..its much more than that ..getting to know her life and where whs was born ect and really taking that time you will see and enjoy the gentle jaunt along the way of the wonderful happy and sometimes sighs moments she will give you ..

I am currently re-decorating my home and as well as building my sample collection from Orla ( papers so far) naturally i got the book ..having only just ordered the samples fresh from the net so to speak , my great bargain of the book arrived ..i was delighted to see the same pattern on the front cover as one of the samples i had ordered for my home ..ok i know ..but it was just a nice moment !! brightening my day ..opening the book there is lots in it ...def sufficient in pages of pattern , i thought that was great instead of going round the shops getting even more samples , though more samples are on the way , i did have to pay for those , youve got them in the book which is just as good holding the pages up around areas im interested to dress , i see lots of fashion ect and writing i want to read and relax it coveres everything and there are other books although this one was the one i wanted ..it would be fantastic gift for anyone to put in her bag and chuck out those silly mags with the made up anxiety problem pages ...who want that when youve got desinger works in compact trending above anything else ..enjoy .just one last word ..*dont lend * to frenemies !!its one of those books ..*do give* to nice girlfriends and friends who stuck by you thick and thin !!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 19 Nov 2013
This review is from: Pattern (Hardcover)
Great coffee table book, and great read too.
Although this was a 'pre-loved' book it was immaculate.
Really pleased I bought it

5.0 out of 5 stars Book review, 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: Pattern (Hardcover)
Excellent resource book. Great quality.iIt is Brilliant value for money and it arrived swiftly.. I ordered a second copy for a present.

2.0 out of 5 stars A big disappointment - repetitive and self-indulgent, 6 July 2012
This review is from: Pattern (Hardcover)
This book, for me anyway, promised much more than it delivered.

It's a large, heavy, beautifully bound book (hence the two stars), but the same patterns are repeated over and over again throughout the book and the text is pretty boring too. Yes, Orla - I get it - your Stem design has been a great success and it is indeed very pretty, but pages and pages of that same pattern, albeit in different sizes and colours, was just boring and felt self-indulgent by the time I got halfway through the book.

I'm trading the book in as I write. A shame and a good opportunity missed in my opinion.

Pattern
Pattern by Orla Kiely (Hardcover - 6 Sep 2010)
25.00