4.0 out of 5 stars good little read
This is not a huge glossy coffee-table tome but a lovely size that fits neatly in your hands as you sit back and dive into its pages. The matt dust jacket and pages, while not to everyone's taste, makes a welcome change from all those super glossy books that are all style and no substance...for me this book has both.

When I opened it I had in my mind a list of...
Published on 9 May 2011 by S. Donaldson

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing presentation
For a book associated with fashion it might have been reasonable to have expected a glossier presentation
But interesting - particularly the latter part of the book which covers a familiar period in our lives
Published 11 months ago by MISS L M ABBESS

4.0 out of 5 stars good little read, 9 May 2011
S. Donaldson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fifty Dresses that Changed the World: Design Museum Fifty (Hardcover)

When I opened it I had in my mind a list of dresses that just HAD to be in there if the book was to be of any real authority, and I'm pleased to say they were all in there. The dresses start with the 1915 pleated dresses by Fortuny, through the New Look of Dior in 1947, the mini dress of '65, the paper dress of `68 to "that" Versace dress modelled by Liz Hurley in 1994 ending with Hussein Chalayan's LED dress in 2007.

With each dress is a page of background, giving you information on the dress and its designer. The detail isn't overwhelming, there could be more, but this is for general readership and not necessarily for design or fashion students, although I think they would also benefit from this book.

There are no dresses missing that I thought should be there, although there are a couple that I personally thought were not really worthy of mention as changing the world. And as this foray into fashion finishes in 2007 there are some obvious omissions that could perhaps be added in future editions - I'm sure Lady Gaga will appear at some point.

Overall I'd say that this is a good book for those interested in seeing how fashion has progressed, and is informative for those wanting to know a little about the designs and their designers. It may even inspire some readers to look for further information and look more closely at fashion and how it changes the world .

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Book, 29 Dec 2009
Ms. Sophie M. Horton (UK) - See all my reviews
Tried to find this book in several book shops but no one stocked it so I couldn't see what it looked like inside before I bought it as a gift for my mother. Not quite as I expected, thought it may be a little bigger/glossier, but the price was great, and my ma loved it (I hope!). Would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect fit!, 18 Jun 2013
This books is interesting and gives an interesting insight to the fashion among the modern years without any tiring amount of information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fifty dresses that changed the world review, 1 April 2014
Lovely book, nice addition to my fashion bookshelf
Nice quality pictures interesting assortment of dressed and good amount of text

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2014
My daughter loved this

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing presentation, 8 Jan 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Designer Dress book, 1 Jan 2014
My daughter was very pleased with this book! I bought it for Christmas and was pleased with it myself - very good value and very good presentation.

5.0 out of 5 stars recommend people who are studying fashion, 6 Sep 2013
really interesting book and good for fashion course, worth the money and it help me with my fashion course and would recommend to those who are studying fashion and great price

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy, 9 April 2013
Very happy book arrived on time when said needed for daughters school work so happy with service thank very much

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Gift for a Friend, 30 Jan 2013
Laura Grieve (Aberdeenshire) - See all my reviews
Bought this as part of a gift for a friend it's a lovely book and the dresses could all still be worn today.

Fifty Dresses that Changed the World: Design Museum Fifty
Fifty Dresses that Changed the World: Design Museum Fifty by The Design Museum (Hardcover - 5 Oct 2009)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available