Format: Hardcover|Change

on 9 July 2001
A friend bought me this as a present and at first I sort of ignored it for a while as being just another gardening book (being possessed of hundreds of gardening books...and cookery books for that matter!). But then I spent a Sunday morning in bed reading this from cover to cover....and what a joy! I have had an allotment for quite some time now and what Monty and Sarah Don manage to convey is the sheer joy of eating your own "free food". It's really amazing, you feel as though you've received a gift everytime you pick, say, the first new potatoes - what excitement as you lift those roots! - or when you harvest onions, all golden brown and papery skinned. Even better when you get your food to the kitchen, cook it and savour the fact it's "free"! This book combines the best of both worlds and is a joy to read and cook from. This book makes you envy Monty and Sarah for their lifestyle and if it doesn't encourage you to grow your own food, then I don't know what will!
on 10 August 2000
This is a wonderful book. Monty's enthusiasm for his garden is infectious, Sarah's recipes are gorgeous, and Simon's photographs evoke a yearning for each beautiful season. The book contains valuable information primarily aimed at novice gardeners, who can draw upon the Dons wide experience of gardening successes and failures. But it will be thoroughly enjoyed by anyone who has a patch of earth to call their own, and enjoys life and food.
on 30 September 2004
I liked this book if only to inspire me to attempt more in my own garden. It gives some tips but no really detailed information for a complete novice. I found the diary aspect pretty dull but some of the recipes are delicious and the principle of eating the food that' s in season appeals to me, even when I have to buy the ingredients!
If you already know what you are doing in the garden and are looking for tips, seasonal recipes and some pretty pictures then this book is definitely for you. If, however, you were looking for a how-to manual then you may be disapointed.
on 15 February 2010
I loved this book,and have bought it for friends,it's a glorious mixture of the passion of growing and cooking and eating.Always encouraging,making it all seem possible,gorgeous photos that make you want to do it all.This is a practical month by month,food course. Never mind expensive cookery courses, buy this,go to the month you're in and start growing what you read about.Whilst that's happening buy from farmer's markets and cook what's in the book.Get your hands dirty,even if it's in a window box or the kid's old sand tray.Make your mouth water as you chop and stir and smell the goodness in it.It leaves you wanting more,wanting to know Monty and Sarah Don. You won't regret buying it.
on 26 June 2015
After owning this book for 16 years, it's still one I return to often.
Gardening and cooking are two of my favourite things and this book successfully combines them both.
It is a celebration of the pleasures of growing and eating your own produce. The freshest food, in season, grown without chemicals and simply prepared really does taste wonderful and gives such satisfaction.
Beautifully illustrated with Simon Wheeler's delightful and evocative photographs, this book has taught me a lot, both about growing fruit, vegetables, herbs etc., and I would highly recommend it to any gardener and cook.
on 3 November 2006
This book provides a very good combination between gardening and cooking. I especially liked the seasonal guidance, because nowadays you can buy fruit and vegetables all year round in the supermarket and you loose the knowledge of what is in season. Personally, I would have liked the book to include even more recipes and more food photography.
on 22 September 2008
I picked up this book last night intending to have a casual flick through it.I then proceeded to read it cover to cover unable to put it down.Monty and Sarah Dons genuine love of nature and propensity for producing wonderfully simple dishes from their own fruit and veg is truly inspirational.The underlying theme to this book is :You dont have to be a gardening genius or own countless acres of land to produce great fruit and veg,anyone can do it.As a society we have become divorced from the practical production of what we consume, through ignorance we justify genetic engineering,factory farming and all manner of insecticides,pesticides,etc.Dont get me wrong im not anti-supermarket but if everyone who could grow something did just that then we would become more grounded,closer to nature and who knows maybe even healthier.To steal a line from a popular supermarket chain "Every little helps" This is a book I will constantly refer to while managing my own modest little garden.Top stuff.....
on 3 November 2007
It is perhaps quite surprising that there aren't more books available that combine vegetable gardening with the art of cookery so it is a real pleasure that this, the pack leader is such a delight. The enthusiasm of Monty Don flows out from whatever he is doing at the time and there is no difference here in Fork to Fork.
Besides being a practical gardening book and organic to boot, and an inspirational kitchen guide, Fork to Fork is also a visual pleasure, packed with heartwarming garden photography that makes you want to rush outside and emulate.
There was also something else about this book that simply encourages you to take a deep breathe and slow down awhile.
A book that is simply delightful.

Will Joseph.
on 7 December 2012
Lovely book, great recipes. God if you like meat (which I don't) but, as I got it for a bargain price in the works was worth it for soups, breads and salads.
on 27 March 2000
Fork to Fork is a great book for the 'growing' novice, it provides that much needed blast of inspiration. With energetic pictures and text that gasps with enthusiasm and life, you just can't help taking it in. It helps you visualise the whole growing process, from setting out patches of earth to havesting, and the recipes are fuel to the burning fire! It is a seductive book, and a valuable window on goodness of nature.