4.0 out of 5 stars A Good "Japanese" Cookbook
Published on 31 Jan 2012 by Andrew J. Tindall

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice recipes but not many of them
Having been to Japan and been on a Japanese cooking class I wanted some more ideas of Japanese meals to make. There are a few recipes I have really enjoyed but there does not seem to be much variety and I wanted more ideas for meals, rather than dishes.
Published 17 months ago by Miss Pixie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good "Japanese" Cookbook, 31 Jan 2012
This review is from: Everyday Harumi: Simple Japanese food for family and friends (Hardcover)
This book contains many tasty recipes, which have become favourites in my house, but occupies an awkward space between the Japanese and "Asian" cookbooks on my shelf. Harumi's recipes here are by and large an adaptation of traditional Japanese food, written with a Western audience in mind- most of the recipes lack a japanese name, and few "exotic" ingredients are used that can't be picked up in a large supermarket (at least in Britain). However many of the recipes use dashi and other ingredients necessating a trip to a Japanese store. This isn't a problem, but is worth bearing in mind- if you can make the occasional trip to an Asian food store to stock up on sauces, seasonings and storecupboard ingredients this book is for you. If you can't (or would like to become a regular in your local Pan-Asian Supermarket), it probably isn't.

For me, this book is perfect for getting the flavours of Japan into my food more regularly. The "authenticity" angle is far from a moot point, but seeing as I don't live in Japan (any more) this allows me to use the ingredients available to me to create passably Japanese food week in, week out. An okonomiyaki recipe would've sealed the deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Japanese recipes, 16 Feb 2010
S. Gill (Australia) - See all my reviews
This is Harumi's third book in English, and her books are some of the best, if not the best, Japanese cookbooks in English. The recipes are health conscious, and focus on ingredients available in Western countries. Can't wait for the 4th book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice recipes but not many of them, 26 Nov 2012
I am still not sure how to put them together for a meal, and despite frequent mentions that Japanese cooking has a lot of focus on vegetables very few of these recipes involve vegetables and I often seem to end up with meat in a sauce with rice.
I am sure when I am a bit more practised and just want some dishes to add to my meal this book will come into its own, but if you are brand new to Japanese cooking I don't think it is the best place to start. If you do find a good starting place please let me know!

5.0 out of 5 stars A big thumbs up, 20 April 2010
This book has been eye opening for me. It's easy to assume Japanese food is all about sushi due to the explosion of sushi bars, but there is so much more beyond sushi.

The recipes use a minimum of ingredients to supply maximum flavour, making preparation quick and delicious. This collection is a perfect place to start if you want to get familiar with Japanese food. My full review can be read on the cookbook blog, Culinaria Libris.

3.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, but hard to find suitable ingredients!, 28 July 2013
A good book full of simple dishes that taste great. My ex-girlfriend was Japanese and she could ensure the ingredients we needed were sent over by her mother, but since we've broken up a lot of the ingredients needed to create these recipes have become hard to find. Probably not a massive problem if you live in London or somewhere else with bright lights, but up here in Sunderland finding some of the rarer ingredients can be very costly! Definitely worth a go if you can ensure a regular influx of Japanese produce, though!

4.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, 3 July 2012
I believe the author is the japanese equivalent of Delia Smith.

Beautifully presented, delicious food. Very easy to make. You do need to make an initial purchase of japanese condiments incl sake, mirin, soy etc but you can use them for so many purposes that it's fine. I found everything in uk supermarkets so it's easy to do. I highly recommend this book. It's a great starting point into japanese cooking, and it will have many favourites in it. I have found it useful in deciding what to do with leftovers too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good simple receipes, 26 Sep 2010
Evelyne242 (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
I was scared to try to cook Japanese food. After I came back from holidays in Japan, I decided to give it a go. This book gave me the confidence to cook Japanese food. There are a lot of simple receipes and you can buy all the ingredient in the UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harumi's Japanese Recipes, 25 Jun 2010
Very good with easy to follow instructions. Would recommend this book to anyone who has not tried Japanese food, as there is an interesting combination of tastes and flavours, which are quick to prepare and cook. Some ingredients are difficult to source here in N. Ireland, but are available in many internet sites. A very good starter book for anyone wanting to experiment with something different.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty Japanese, Simply Done, 5 July 2012
R. Whittle (London) - See all my reviews
I bought this book a couple of weeks ago because I am a keen cook and have been wanting to try cooking Japanese food for a while. I was a bit concerned that like other Asian foods it would require a load of ingredients that you can only get from a specialist supermarket or online. I was was very pleased when the book arrived and the ingredients required for nearly all the dishes can be found in a regular supermarket without trouble. There are one or two specialist ingredients but Harumi offers advised on suitable alternatives if you cant get hold of them. The number of ingredients required for each dish is usually short along with the preparation time in most cases (some require a little more effort but nothing too strenuous). The recipes are clear and concise and then end results delicious. Harumi also takes you through how to cook absolutely perfect japanese rice as a bonus. So far I have cooked the miso marinated steak and the ginger pork and both were easy to do and tasted fantastic. I'm looking forward to trying the other recipes soon and perhaps purchasing her other cookbook!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow delicious recipes, 4 Sep 2011
I've been a fan of Japanese food for years but I've never had the confidence to try and cook a Japanese meal from scratch. So, after reading the reviews of this book on Amazon I thought I'd give it a go. I wasn't disappointed, what a fantastic book! The book itself is absolutely beautiful, but more importantly the recipes are excellent and easy to follow. You'll find grinding your own toasted seasame seeds a sensational experience...the aroma is incredible. If you like pickled ginger, I promise you - you'll never buy pre-packed pickled ginger again after making your own from the simple recipe in this book. I'm sure there are other excellent books out there, but as a complete novice I can't recommend this book enough. Delicious, easy to make food...what more do you want!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xaa251c48)

Everyday Harumi: Simple Japanese food for family and friends
Everyday Harumi: Simple Japanese food for family and friends by Harumi Kurihara (Hardcover - 7 Sep 2009)
13.40