4.0 out of 5 stars Simple Japanese Cooking
Being a novice of Japanese cooking I decided that I would need a book that would offer simple recipes and background to Japanese cuisine. So I plumped for this book and was extremely happy when I first opened the book and skimmed through the pages.
Published on 21 Jan 2005 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars BE VERY CAREFUL THERE ARE 2 EDITIONS OF THIS BOOK!!!
I just bought this book because, my neighbour made me some delicious recipe out of it and when she showed me the book I saw lots of very tasty looking recipes so I ordered the book right away.... Received it and guess what... ?! It was a totally different book... !!!
Published 14 months ago by Lily

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple Japanese Cooking, 21 Jan 2005
Harumi Kurihara is very much like our own Delia; her food is basic to the Japanese person like a roast dinner is to us. But to us Japanese cooking is very new and exciting so we need an author that can give us the basics of Japanese cooking. She explains the various ingredients very well and there are some ingredients that are used throughout her dishes, these are namely mirin and dashi. I have had difficulty in finding mirin and the creation of dashi might be too difficult for basic cooks, but she sometimes give alternatives. She includes at the back of the book a list of Japanese food related shops in the UK which is helpful to a certain extent.
The book is beautifully laid out into sections which are as follows: - Appetisers, Soups and Noodles, Rice, Tofu, Seafood, Chicken and Egg, Beef and Pork, Sushi, Vegetables and Desserts. Plus you have a small section on how to use the book and a small glossary.
There are many mouth watering pictures in this book which makes it delightful to look through. With each recipe there is an accompanying picture so you have an idea of what it is supposed to look like. In my view it is always hard to try and make the food that is created look anything like the pictures in the book. But then again it is like this for most recipe books.
The Tofu section deserves a mention as she highlights seven dishes which are creative and awe inspiring for people like me who has hardly ever used Tofu. The Sushi section also deserves a mention as the pages look gorgeous, with the several different types of sushi you can make. Also the suggested toppings that you can add make this sushi section really handy.
This book is an excellent start for anybody wanting to cook Japanese food. It would have been nice to have included a section on food that is eaten at special occasions such as the Japanese New Year. But overall it is a great book that will allow you to gain access to the world of Japanese food. I urge you if you are looking for a Japanese cook book to buy this one!

4.0 out of 5 stars beautifully presented, delicious recipes, 28 Feb 2005
By A Customer
I've thought about buying this for a while then did last week. Tried 3 recipes over the weekend - really good food, I was impressed - I'm planning to try quite a lot more. It's a very good looking book, well laid out with nice photos. Most of the ingredients are pretty easy to get hold of (well if you have access to a Japanese food store) and substitutes are almost always listed. It didn't get 5 stars because I had problems with one of the dishes (the instructions for the warm aubergine salad says to microwave the aubergine - DON'T - it makes the skin really tough) and also the fact that it doesn't give much guidance on putting menus together (e.g. it says "serves 4" but you need to combine with other dishes - but how many? what works well together?). But minor gripes aside this is an excellent book

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy-to-make, healthy and delicious, 3 Nov 2011
This review is from: Japanese Cooking (Paperback)
This book is for people who like healthy and delicous food, especially if you like the typically Japanese taste of meals, which takes little time to prepare.
There's a lot of soya sauce, tofu and kombu soup base in the recipes so if you don't like those you'd better buy Jamie Olliver or something.
This is a modern Japanese cuisine, so if you want some old-Japan recipes which take hours to make with only wooden utensils stay clear away from Harumi. She's all about efficiency and sensibility, microwaves and rice cookers when possible.
She always offers western substitutes to Japanese ingredients difficult to find outside her home country so you don't have to travel far or spend a lot to enjoy her recipes.
I absolutely love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fanatastic, 20 Oct 2011
This review is from: Japanese Cooking (Paperback)
This book is fantastic, particularly for a novice of Japanese cooking. The book itself is so nicely presented, and very much in the Japanese style of simplicity. I have made a few dishes from the book and have found the recipes easy to follow, and the ingredients have been fairly easy to source, particularly with world foods becoming more readily available in supermarkets. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone interested in Japanese cooking or looking to try some different dishes as it does not disappoint!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 25 Jun 2011
This review is from: Japanese Cooking (Paperback)
This book has been a fantastic gift to all my friends. Most ingredients are available in some forms maybe dried, bottled or frozen at Asian /Japanese supermarkets in the UK. Not all but some alternative ingredients are suggested in the book as well. Harumi's cooking books contain simple yet tasty Japanese foods which have been very popular at events parties and functions. Photographs show accurately what they will look like and all are achievable, instructions and explanations are easily followed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 8 July 2008
A Passer By "Book Lover" (Leeds) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
"Harumi's Japanese Cooking" is a great Japanese recipe book. It starts with a beautiful introduction which includes Harumi's memories about cooking in her family, recipes and Japanese cuisine, note about rice, tableware and presentation and ethiquette.
The book has chapters on Dashi, Appetisers and Entrees, Soup and noodles, Rice, Tofu, Seafood, Chicken and Egg, Beef and Pork, Sushi, Vegetables, Desserts and Drinks, glossary of Japanese food terms and the list of Japanese shops in the UK!
Every chapter has a nice introduction written by Harumi and every recipe is beautifully illustrated.
The recipes themselves are simple and I loved making sushi and garlic fried rice. Harumi gives us a rather wide option in choosing the ingredients, most of them are easily found in UK supermarkets.
I really enjoyed cooking with "Harumi's Japanese Cooking".

5.0 out of 5 stars A Japanese Gourmand, 22 Jan 2005
By A Customer
Harumi's introduction of Western ingredients to the Japanese style of cooking is truly inspired. After all, the Italians wouldn't have spaghetti if Marco Polo hadn't brought noodles back from China. Many of Harumi's recipes are completely Japanese however, but her combination of traditional and Western foods (even Gruyere & Pesto!!) is innovative and exciting. As an English woman, brought up in Japan, I have had to make my own Japanese food at home since I have lived in the West Country where it is virtually unavailable. I consider myself to be well versed in Japanese cookery, but this book has opened a whole new world for me...... and there are plenty of recipes for the uninitiated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great intro to Japanese home cooking, 23 Jan 2014
I've searched for good Japanese cookery books, and find Harumi's books my favourite. Her recipes are simple, delicious, and do not require a lot of ingredients that are hard to get. I have two of her books, both excellent.

3.0 out of 5 stars BE VERY CAREFUL THERE ARE 2 EDITIONS OF THIS BOOK!!!, 3 Oct 2013
It now turns out that there are two editions (the first one in 2004 which is this one and the second in 2006) I find it very very naughty (and stupid!) of the editors to do a reedition that is sooo different without mentioning it!
There are literally hardly any recipes the same and of course the delicious recipe my neighbour made is not in this edition nor are some others that I had spotted!
The 2006 edition is also for sale on Amazon but the cheapest is over £70... so too much for me ;-((

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty Japanese Food, 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: Japanese Cooking (Paperback)
Wish to add some Japanese ideas to my cooking as they have such a healthy and tasty diet. Thank you.

Japanese Cooking
Japanese Cooking by Harumi Kurihara (Paperback - 15 May 2008)
Used & New from: £10.47