VINE VOICEon 31 October 2007
I have spent hours drooling over this book! When it arrived in the post I was wondering what was in the package because the book was a lot bigger and thicker than I had anticipated.

When it comes to cookery books this one is quite something. Most of today's cookery books seem to be just recipe books and assume you know everything about cooking . . . which of course most of us don't, otherwise why would we be buying them.

Back in the 1950s and early 60s every housewife would have started married life with a cookery book showing her all that was needed to cook traditional meals and showing the different techniques in the kitchen, books like the Radiation Cookery Book or the Main Cookery Book (published for use with gas cookers). Fairly basic books but full of useful information.

The Conran Cookbook has taken this idea and expanded it. The inside cover describes the book as "Taking you from the market place to the plate . . . encompassing everything the home cook needs to know from the essential knowledge necessary to choose and prepare over 1,000 ingredients to equipping the kitchen, planning successful menus and cooking over 450 delicious and nourishing dishes".

A few words are not going to describe to you what this wonderful book entails. The book is split into three main sections, which are:

· The Purchase and Preparation of Food
· Equipment
· Recipes

The most informative section of the book is The Purchase and Preparation of Food which is sub-divided into nine categories:

· Fish and Seafood
· Vegetables
· Fruit and Nuts
· Herbs, Spices and Flavourings
· Coffee, Teas and Tisanes

If you have a question about something to do with food and its cooking you will more than likely find it here. If you have only one cookery book in your kitchen this should be the one.

As you would expect from any book carrying the Conran name, it is beautifully designed and illustrated, as well as been clearly written and easy to follow. You wanted to know about fish? All the main varieties of fish and shellfish are illustrated and there are guides to preparing all the different types, with each guide having step by step photographs showing how it is done. This is the theme throughout the book covering every area of food and its preparation.

It is a mine of information. Not only is it for those new to the art of cooking but also for those who have been cooking for years and are afraid to ask about something for fear of embarrassment.

This would make a great Christmas present or be ideal for newlyweds . . . or better still why not enrich your cooking skills by getting a copy for yourself. It will be a shame to get food stains on it but that is where it is going to be kept, close at hand in the kitchen. Did I forget to mention that there are some great recipes as well?
on 18 February 2012
I might be biased, but this is the best cook book I've ever read or owned, and I have read (and own) quite a few.
I can read a whole book of recipies through, but I prefer a good fiction book. And yet I can read this cook book for hours. I've owned it for several years now and I still haven't had enough.

My favourite part is the first (and largest) section which goes over all the ingredients. It tells you how to buy, handle and prepare all manner of things; and it tells you what ingredients go together and what flavours they go best with, also refering you to the recipies that come later.

The recipies themselves are a 'sampler' of different ways to cook each main ingredient. They are excellent, and I like that they suggest substitutions if you don't have the main ingredient (e.g. which other fish work in the same recipie).
It is fairly obvious that with a 'one of each' approach, the recipies are not at all exhaustive so other cook books are also needed- especially for the bread and pastry sections. BUT EVEN SO, most of any other thing in my kitchen, this book took me from the cook I was to one that can experiment, try flavours together (where there aren't recipies) and explore my way into a love of all things kitchen.
on 6 November 2011
I absolutely adore the Conran Cookbook, and in general, cookbooks aren't my thing.
I tend to head straight to the internet to find recipes if I go to find them at all, but this book has pretty much anything I could need.
From how to pick the right potatoes for mash, to delicious dessert recipes, to how to gut a fish properly - this book has everything, and it is all set out clearly with clear pictures and instructions that aren't that hard to follow.

I think this is a fantastic addition to anybody's bookshelf, whether they are a keen chef, or just beginning.
on 20 July 2011
I can understand why this book has been in circulation for a few years and has been updated and reprinted. I'm a fan of the co-author, Simon Hopkinson, and own three of his other cookbooks. Half of the contents are dedicated to techniques, equipment and ingredients and half to recipes which is the bit I was interested in. There are some very good ones, unpretentious, straightforward but quite impressive once executed. I would highly recommend it.The Conran Cookbook
on 1 April 2013
Excellent purchase. The book exceeded all my expectations. Superbly illustrated, this book presents the most diverse ingredients with photos of each of them, as well as some ways to prepare them. The second part presents several cooking tools and ends with the third party with a collection of great recipes.
The other big surprise was the state in which this used book was. Just like new, not a single sheet, folded, damaged, scratched, nothing!
on 16 June 2015
Best cookbook on the fundamentals of types of fish, cuts of meat, utensils etc. well laid out.
on 2 October 2014