5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly delicious, simple, quick Keralan food, 7 Jan 2001
By A Customer
Das Sreedharan runs Rasa, a vegetarian Indian restaurant in Stoke Newington (North London). We've eaten fairly regularly there since it opened (and before that, we ate in the restaurant he used to manage). The restaurant is the best Indian vegetarian restaurant in London by some way (its main competitors are the others in the chain, but they have fancy locations and prices to match).
We went to Kerala on holiday, largely on the strength of the food in this restaurant and Das's enthusiasm for his home. We had some great food there, too, but I think I prefer Rasa.
So I was delighted to discover I could try the recipes at home, but also apprehensive. It's often difficult to cope with restaurant cooking; much of it doesn't scale down properly, and although I do have the requisite army of sous-chefs, my four-year old isn't very good at the niceties of restaurant presentation. So I wasn't expecting to manage to recreate any of my favourites.
How wrong I was. Turns out they're easy. And delicious. Not quite as good, perhaps, as the meal you'd be served in the restaurant, but if you'd never eaten at Rasa then cooking from this book would be inspirational. The food is pretty healthy, and the curries at least are low in fat (though some of them, admittedly, have rather a lot of desiccated coconut in).
I haven't tried any of the meat dishes yet (Das is vegetarian, as is his entire village, and I am suspicious), but have cooked several of my favourite vegetarian dishes from the restaurant (moru katchiathu, beet pachadi, avial) successfully.
It helps if you have an Asian grocer handy, to get curry leaves (in nearly every dish) and urad dal. Everything else I've needed, so far, has been available in any supermarket.
Recommended to anyone who likes Southern Indian food and would like to try it at home, and anyone else who's eaten enough chicken tikka masalas and would like to try something more unusual.

5.0 out of 5 stars a quantum leap in preparing exotic Indian cuisine, 24 Sep 2001
Bruce H Weaver (Greensboro, North carolina) - See all my reviews
We dined at Rasa near the British Museum and were so enchanted by the unparalled tastes and high standards of food preparation we requested the cookbook! Friends who formerly turned their noses away from the thought of eating Indian cuisine (here across the pond) are absolutely taken with the aromas and visual delight of recipes from this work that they readily dive in to sample. They can't resist taking yet another taste, and another...! Das Sreedharan's book propeled my cooking abilities by quantum leaps to a richer level. Acquaintances familiar with brown sludge passed off for Indian cuisine are very impressed with the colorful presentations that adds splendid visual appeal. His step by step instructions and dedication to obtaining fresh ingredients translate into your ability to serve uterly exquisite Indian "Keralan" cusine. Even my local Indian restaurant owners and chefs readily concede the dishes I have made for them through following the recipes Das shares in this book are to be emulated! Secret weapon: Prepare a typical recipe where tempering is a feature and then invite your friends over: The exotic aromas wafting in your home at that point tantalyze their palates unmercifully, creating instant, insatiable intrigue. If you ever want to experience truly elegant aromas, tastes and colorful presentations this is a must place to look!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, utterly essential cooking, 4 Jun 2001
By A Customer
I bought this book after having yet another superlative dinner out at Rasa, W1. If your idea of Indian food is a tired bowl of orange chicken tikka masala and sag aloo swimming in ghee, you MUST get this book so you can see how incredible the 'real thing' is. My only complaint is that the incredible tamarind and garlic pickle isn't included, but that's a small blip in an otherwise wonderful collection of recipes. If you love richly balanced spices and wonderful flavour combinations, get this book - and make sure you visit the restaurant, too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Indian food like you've never seen it before, 29 Mar 2000
By A Customer
This book is fantastic - the recipes are easy to follow and the photographs just make your mouth water. Authentic and achievable - you can't ask for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Keralan food made easy, 8 Jan 2011
If, like me, you love the subtle flavours of southern Indian cuisine, this book is for you. It's called Fresh Flavours of India, but it's actually much more to do with Keralan cooking. Primarily vegetarian, lots of coconut, ginger and garlic - and the ubiquitous black mustard seeds and cumin. The recipes are really surprisingly simple - you don't have to be a very skilled cook to create astonishingly tasty food. Nor do you have to assemble a huge store cupboard of obscure ingredients. You can find almost everything you need in a decent Asda, with the exception of the aforementioned black mustard seeds! When you buy these at a specialist shop, make sure you get a couple of hundred grams or more. They are used in almost every dish and are MUCH cheaper in bulk.

The author owns/runs the excellent Rasa restaurants in London.

Fresh Flavours of India
Fresh Flavours of India by Sivadas Sreedharan (Paperback - 28 July 2002)
Used & New from: 10.00