on 19 January 2006
There is no doubt that Spoon offers some interesting ideas. The problem is that the recipes can be fiendish to follow. At first I thought this was a fault with the quirky layout of the book, but having grappled with this the actual issue is deeper.
The book sometimes reads like a bad translation and although I am an experienced cook, there are recipes where you simply aren’t given enough information. The chocolate fingers with iced white chocolate mousse is an typical example of the problem. (You can search the book content here on Amazon and see for yourself.)
While the book gives inspiration, you will need a good culinary instinct to make them work for you. The cod with coconut milk is a perfect little idea, but unless you have sushi quality cod you’ll want to cook it longer than suggested and adjust with the suggested balance of ingredients.
Along with the cod dish, the baby leek with sesame seeds garnish has worked its way into my regular repertoire. There’s gold in this book, but be prepared to work hard to get at it.
on 16 April 2003
Spoon is a piece of art. Everybody could eventually have created the recipes, but Alain Ducasse did so first. He is, so to speak, on the moon before there was the moon. Platinum medal to him!
The recipes are truely inspiring. Not only are they innovative - they drag you into the kitchen because they are fit for home food explorers. Just understand the thought and feeling behind, and you on your way towards the ultimative dinner in YOUR HOME.
I can only say: Go for it!
Jonas.
on 4 November 2003
I did not buy the book for it being Ducasse's as I did not know who he was until a bit after I had the book. Thus, I selected it sort of unbiased.
Let's say it first, the book is not written for beginners. The photos are NOT representative of the final dish and the recipes are described to the bare minimum. But they are (not all I have to say) wonderful. I modelled my ricotta cheese cake on his cheesecake recipe and the result is wonderful. His pate' brisee or his salade souces are wonderful. No errors in any recipe. the only limitation is that he included few pasta recipes that ... do not fit and are not so appealing (even in the photos). And the wine pairing is not so correct (plus it shows bias for big name wines as usual with haute cuisine). These are minor errors.
Buy this book. If you are a beginner, buy it anyway and ask somebody in case of need. Your guests will be flabbergasted!