on 10 October 2000
This was recommended to me by a friend who's a great cook, who told me it was the only one worth having. Don't know a lot about the competition (I'm a bit of a novice) but this book is fantastic. Really easy-to-follow recipes that seem to work perfectly first time and a wide range of breads from simple white through to baguettes, naan bread, crumpets and bagels. Brilliant.
on 29 July 2001
Big info on flour types, the chemistry of breadmaking - and of course loads and loads of recipes!! Always a bread that will fit in with your schedule, whether it be the quick Herb Rolls for a soup or French Sourdough Loaf that takes 3-4 days to start! The book that really got me started on baking all my bread myself!!
on 1 August 2005
This the best book for someone looking to start baking, or are finding their bread machine limiting. It is full of excellent recipes, with lots of tips, and advice on different techniques. This is the book that took me from 'white' and 'wholemeal' to ciabatta, baguettes, sourdough and pumpernickel. Of all the books I have in my collection this and Joe Ortiz's The Village Baker are the ones that I keep coming back to.
on 7 September 2009
Bought this excellent book from American used book store for my daughter,who lives in Luxembourg. I own the UK edition and highly recommend it, my next trip to Luxembourg was spent entering all the recipe quantities in either grams or ounces because the American Edition had been published in 'cups'!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 October 2008
There are quite a number of bread baking books around that cut corners and make out that its a simple business. This book is not one of them. It takes the subject seriously and introduces one to some complex recipes that involve much time and effort, but the results are worth it. For example, the Michel Roux recipes for brioche, croissant and kouglouf are difficult but the end results, after practice, are excellent.
on 9 October 2011
This book is an absolute delight, the recipes are superb and easy to follow and it doesn't just cover bread. There are pastries, morning rolls, baps and cheese sticks, got more flour and yeast than the local baker and people keep knocking on the door to get some of the latest batch. Superb.
on 15 November 2006
This is a good book - I particularly like the foolproof description of how to make chapattis. However, it is really a collection of recipes from around the world, rather than starting from the ground up. Personally I prefer the book 'bread' by Eric Treuille and Ursula Ferrigno, as I found it more methodical and better illustrated. If you are only buying one, I would recommend that instead.
on 20 January 2015
This book about breadmaking is one of the best around. I have had an old hardback version for about fifteen odd years which has been used to within an inch of its life!
You know when you have a cookery book that's covered in splashes, splodges and scribbles because it's so brilliant? Well this is one of them.
This paperback version was bought for a friend and she's already tried the old British Rail Gingerbread, which is a real stunner.
There's also an authentic New York bagel recipe that I've used many times.
Each recipe comes with a delightful little back story which tells of its origins, the travels of the authors and the bread making enthusiasts that they met.
on 10 February 2015
I have had this books for many years. I found the explanations clear and the book is really beautifully produced. I like the fact that there is usually a story behind each recipe linked to the origin or the creater of the recipes which make them special and authentic. I always come back to this book and never get bored making or reading the recipes. This is a great book to have in the bread maker's collection.
on 24 January 2013
I bought this book in 1998 and love it. I am horrified at the price it is now as I paid £25 for it then, new and hardback.Shame, as it will discourage buyers. Good photos with mouth-watering ideas and helpful instructions from basic breads to the speciality doughs, 130 different breads.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse