Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 January 2014
Bought when I started programming at university, the book was recommended by my course. Probably good if you're teaching yourself, but within 4-5 weeks on my course we had advanced the level covered by the book, so not much use to me. For the price of it I wouldn't really recommend it, online information (although unfortunate for authors nowadays) is just as good and has no level limit.
on 14 November 2014
Good layout: each topic is presented in a 2-page spread. A nasty formatting problem on 2 pp, but this is corrected on the publisher's website.
It is unfortunate that the author has omitted any guidance for Mac users, a small but substantial minority. You need to use Xcode, a very daunting prospect without any help. I found a great tutorial starting here: http://masters-of-the-void.com/what-you-need.htm
on 2 December 2013
brilliant book for under 200 pages, don't expect to learn how to build complex programs from this book as that's not what this book is for. However it will give you the basic skills required to understand a more advanced C programming book. being as i learned VB.Net in college running over 2 years now and now going to university soon, i wanted a head start in learning the very basics of C, C++ and Java and all the books in this series (of the 3 in question) worked well in giving me a basic understanding so i don't struggle when assignments are given. However in all the books in this series there are typos in the code(of 20 or so programming books from simple HTML to advanced VB.NET only 1 has been free of typos from a number of different authors so im guessing its normal) but that helped me in ways of problem solving however i would recommend getting a better compiler then the one said to be used (some may like the one given). so a great book for next to no money, easy to follow and gives you a strong foundation to gain a better understanding of programming.
on 30 August 2013
Great for University Students who are just a beginners just like me. This book helps me understand the foundation of programming and also the guides me thoroughly on mastering the basics. I am certain that my knowledge of programming will definitely increase as i finish this book.
on 8 July 2013
Good value, well written for the complete beginner.
This book is very basic - but then it doesn't pretend to be anything else. It will help you get started in C programming, but you will soon find the need for for a more comprehensive guide.
on 18 June 2014
I was looking for a book to introduce me to the basics, and this has checked the check boxes for that and then some! shows some nifty performance enhancement techniques as well as the basics!

I have other books in this range too!
on 19 July 2013
This book is good at what it promises, it may help to have some prior knowledge but its certainly not a requirement. If you want to Learn C programming then you could do a lot worse than buy this book.

Good purchase.
on 30 December 2015
i recently bought this for a friend who wanted to learn C. i bought it for them as when i learnt C i remembered it being a great book for learning the basics like what an integer is and writing loops how to use pointers etc, as it had simple examples and well explained. Most book i had seen just were full of text and exercises but lacked decant examples, unlike this book. unfortunately that was the the second edition the fourth edition seems to have a bit more information in it but now just looks like the other books and is quite hard to follow. If you want a good book to learn the absolute basics from in easy steps try and find the second edition or hunt down tutorials online.
on 21 May 2016
Bought this as a starting guide into the world of coding. Amazing book, gives you the basic breakdown of programming. Allows you create a foundation on which you are able to progress further into. After going through this book, I am able to read and understand code much more effectively.

I would recommend this to everyone starting out!
on 10 March 2016
Well written and easy to follow, even for a silver surfer with very limited knowledge about computing.
This is not the first book I've purchased by this author and I have been pleased with them all....His style of writing is informative and entertaining and not at all dry despite the dry subject matter.