5.0 out of 5 stars PHP & MySQL is now in Easy Steps
I've used this series before for basic Web Design, and loved it.
PHP & MySQL was just the next logical step from that. Being introduced to PHP through a module in University, I found the subject hard to grasp in the way we were being taught... Which was basically, here's a problem - fix it, with no real guidance or previous help.

Like other books in the...
Published on 11 Mar. 2013 by Cole Stephenson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best of the series
Published 11 months ago by Lucy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars PHP & MySQL is now in Easy Steps, 11 Mar. 2013
This review is from: PHP & MySQL In Easy Steps (Paperback)
I've used this series before for basic Web Design, and loved it.

Like other books in the series, you receive step by step instructions on what to do, and what the code you're writing does - and how it affects anything else as a whole.

Yes there are tutorials for PHP and MySQL out there, but not in such an easy to learn and well written style (well none that I've found anyway). With such a low price tag it's well worth the buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good starter for beginner, 7 Oct. 2012
This review is from: PHP & MySQL In Easy Steps (Paperback)
This book is a good starting point for anyone who wants to learn PHP & MYSQL, it gives you step-by-step instructions on how to get everything set-up and it's even in colour. However, the negative point of this is that it does not talk about the full PHP language, it gives a small overview but not detailed enough it talks about loops, if statements, arrays, strings but does not go in to much detail. The MYSQL part has a lot of detail.

When your told to write some code it is nicely organized numbered down and in full colour, each step is easy to follow. (I guess that's why the call it easy-steps)

Towards the end you make a forum, user registration (encrypted) and a shopping site all data driven. So I would say it is the perfect book for beginners and even those who actually know PHP I know some PHP I learned over the years but this was a nice refresher with MYSQL. (I don't know MYSQL+PHP)

For the price it is a short (192 Pages) but good book. I finished it in 2 days.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is what PHP & MySQL for dummies should be, 10 Jan. 2013
A. Patel (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PHP & MySQL In Easy Steps (Paperback)
Simply fantastic. I've been battling with learning PHP & MySQL for a while and tried several books and video courses that all seemed to make hard work of it. This book makes it very simple and I managed to get through the first 61 pages of the book in only a few hours and get to grips with things I've known vaguely for ages but not ever got a solid handle on.

I think one of the strengths of this book is that it explains what other books might consider too obvious to mention. Like the fact that a variable is created simply by stating its name.

My only criticism would be that sometimes it's hard to tell where there should or should not be spaces in the code. But I don't think that's enough to make me give it any less than 5 stars because it's still the best PHP book for absolute beginners that I've come across.

Will certainly be buying other books in this series to master the basics of other programming languages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good intro to the subject., 11 Oct. 2013
This review is from: PHP & MySQL In Easy Steps (Paperback)
Found this a very useful book when I started getting into PHP. Good explanations and example applications. Still occasionally refer back to it even though have progressed a lot more into PHP. Enables the beginner PHP programmer to get up and running with some useful projects in a very short time. Would definitely recommend it to anybody starting out in the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars => What it says on the tin == this book, 27 July 2014
Philip Davies "Philip" (Nottingham, Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PHP & MySQL In Easy Steps (Paperback)
I got this book today, I didn't know what to expect with the cheap price tag, but saw that the book had mostly good reviews. I am not at all disappointed! It does everything it says on the tin + more. I can see that people have given this book 1* saying that it's very complicated, but in my view this is PHP in it's simplest form. I have purchase many books on PHP and the majority of them use 100 words where 10 will do and this book for me has done that and may I say very well.

I also got his Javascript book, which I'm going to move onto once I've completed this one, at this rate that'll be next week at the latest. The only things you really need to know before getting this book are how to comfortably use a computer and how to write HTML, if you know CSS that's just a bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 24 Jan. 2014
This review is from: PHP & MySQL In Easy Steps (Paperback)
I have been wanting to learn PHP for a few years now, picking up random books here and there, signing up to online video course. But all of these would either bore me after a few hours or get too complicated and I would just give up. I received this book from Amazon this morning and have been working my way through it for a few hours. Im AMAZED, its so easy to follow and never gets complicated. It teaches you the basics in Full Colour, which makes it much easier to understand and fun to read.

If your a beginner looking to learn PHP i cant recommend this book enough. I promise you wont be disappointed. I wish I had found this author a few years ago. I'll definitely be picking up his Javascript and jQuery books next.

4.0 out of 5 stars What it says on the cover, 6 July 2013
RossM (Glorious Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PHP & MySQL In Easy Steps (Paperback)
I have been designing web pages with ASP and Access databases but never managed to get MySQL running. Although the current version of MySQL is newer than the one in the book and seems to be completely different to install the older version was still available and it worked just like the book showed. I also chose to use the PHP add-on to IIS instead of the standalone server used in the book and, with IIS now built into Windows 7 and 8, this would probably be a better choice.
This book was just what I needed to get started and will be a handy reference to the syntax of PHP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for beginners, 28 Oct. 2013
Mark Donalds (Hayling Island, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I found this an excellent introduction to PHP and MySQL. The book takes you through everything in easy steps, with lots of exercises to try for yourself. I would recommend it highly to any PHP beginner.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best of the series, 8 Aug. 2014
This review is from: PHP & MySQL In Easy Steps (Paperback)
I have real trouble with this book. I've used other books by Mike McGrath in the past and been very impressed, and generally really like this series. But this one seems to have a good few errors and following the instructions step by step/word for word the examples only seem to half work - often things like the code works but also prints the php next to it or the browser reads parsing errors. Probably just errant speech marks etc, but if you're learning that can be eally problematic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 28 Jan. 2015
Mr. Carl Eyre (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PHP & MySQL In Easy Steps (Paperback)
Brilliant book for learning PHP and MySQL.
I had never done PHP or MySQL before.
The book was easy to follow and great for trying the code out for yourself as you go. Explanations of what the code does and why is how i learn best, i get a better understanding of whats happening and learn quicker, this book is ideal for me.
I find myself going back to different sections to refresh my knowledge, made easy by the straight forward ordering and indexing.

Would recommend this book to beginners/intermediate coders.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

PHP & MySQL In Easy Steps
PHP & MySQL In Easy Steps by Mike McGrath (Paperback - 15 Aug. 2012)