C++ Programming in easy steps, 4th Edition
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£8.79+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 October 2013
Most 'beginner' books in programming languages follow the same depressing pattern: For a couple of chapters, they're great. Everything is easy and well-explained.

Then, usually around chapter 3 or 4, you suddenly find that what you thought was a gentle learning curve has suddenly turned into an impassible vertical cliff-face with its top lost in the clouds. You look at the text and examples, and unless you're NOT a beginner at programming, everything may as well be written in Martian.

Even the much-praised C++: A Beginner's Guide, Second Edition ALMOST falls into this trap, because right from the start it uses jargon and mathematical terms that won't be clear to the non-mathematical beginner.

By now, I must have looked at just about every single C++ book that's aimed at beginners, and in my opinion, this is the only one I've seen that really IS for absolute beginners.

If you're taking your first steps, begin here. This one WON'T have you tearing your hair out in frustration!
on 21 February 2012
I have to learn fortran 90 for my course at university, but i am very interested in programming in general, so i bought this book.
I would say there are a few requirements of pc knowledge just for the set up, but this book explains everything in exquisite detail :)
Pros:-
Contains just the necessary information so you can learn without getting sinfully bored with programming jibber jabber.
examples in the book come with syntax highlighting
good price
very good for referring to for just a quick reference
Cons:- it is slightly short... there is a whole world to be explored through programming and this book just skims the basics..
I would definitely recommend this book!
on 30 June 2013
This book turned out to be an unexpectedly great introduction. I already knew a bit of C++ but this book added to my knowledge, specifically relating to using Visual Studio. It doesn't go into great depth but it certainly covers the basics well and provides some useful examples. If you want to dive straight in to C++ this book is a great place to start.
on 10 May 2015
Before I start, I'd just like to say this is a good book, and has been helpful, and I'd recommend it to people wanting to learn C++.
However, this book absolutely will not teach you the language.
The best way I could describe this, is as a reference book. Each relatively simple, idea is given a two page spread (for example, Vectors) and the book attempts to explain this.
I would seriously recommend getting this as a Uni student, it's pretty cheap and not heavy and would be great as a reference guide like "Ooh, I've forgotten how to declare a function, I'll quickly check in here", but this book absolutely, categorically won't teach you, or any other beginner C++

There's a few problems:
First of all, because the book sticks to the template of a two page spread per item, it can result in some subjects being horrendously under explained as a beginner, and some massively over explained (eg, string concatenation). This can result in things being very unclear to someone who hasn't broached the topic before. However, (and the reason why I suggest this as a reference book) using other materials will aid in the understanding, and when coming back and reading again from this, it does become (or at least help to) clear

Secondly, this book really just doesn't build on itself. It feels like the author sat with a list and wrote all the topics he wanted to clear and then just... wrote about each of them separately. There's no real intertwining, no reasoning for why things are being done in the order they're done in, and the question 'why?' is NEVER answered (something sorely under-addressed in most C++ books, to be fair).

Conclusion?
Good book, especially for the cheap price, but PLEASE, don't expect this book to teach you C++!
This is a great book for reading along with actual books that will teach you C++ (I'll list at the end). It's great for going "I can't find a quick answer in that 1300 page book, I'll just flip and find a spread on the subject I've forgotten about!" but you will, categorically, undoubtedly need another book designed to teach you C++ for you to have a shot at learning this complex language. There will be spreads that are just of no use to you when you're learning that specific topic, but it will help in reference later on.
Also, I wouldn't suggest reading this book cover to cover, in terms of the order of topics; it's all over the place.

GREAT beginner C++ books that everyone seems to agree on (that you will need - note: not in any particular order): Jumping Into C++ (Alex Allain), Programming & Principles of C++ (Bjarne Stroustrup - Creator of C++), C++ Primer (NOT the Prata one/6th edition, go for the 5th edition).
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 22 October 2012
This book, from what I can tell is very thorough and great for beginners such as myself. Coming from the perspective of a person who knew literally nothing about programming, this book has given me a decent insight into the world of C++, providing detailed explanations, and the source code for every example if you get confused. That said some of the methods used just did not work for me. Like writing the code in notepad and just naming it "Something.cpp" did not work with the compiler at all, for anybody suffering the same issue, download microsoft visual studio express 2010/08 and open .cpp files to do your programming. There were also a few things nearer the end of the book that required intuition on the readers part in order to understand, there were certain things used in the examples the book gives that just weren't detailed at all in a separate paragraph, and at times the writer seemed to assume that the reader had prior knowledge which, for a beginner, was not helpful. That said, on the most part this book was very concise and well detailed with a few minor issues.
on 10 March 2012
The book is very good and clear. I also used their Java book when I was learning java. The author is very good, but the book is a bit brief, only using two pages or less for each technique. I'd recommend this book to use as a reference along with a much heavier book, or as an introduction. Don't let that put you off though, It's a great book!
on 4 June 2015
Don't use this book to learn how to programme, that's not what this book is for. This is not even a beginners book to programming, this a pre-beginners book for learning good coding techniques. What this book does is get you to practice a magnitude of different programs, over and over again until the general layout of code is hammered in. It does this in the context of different coding features (such as arrays, functions, operators ect) which you are bound to forget, but you will definitely grasp some familiarity with coding practices. After this book, you will have the good background knowledge to move onto actual beginners programmers books, which are a little more hands on and get you to practice more on your own.
on 3 August 2015
although well written, it is a pity that the author hasnt bothered to keep the book up to date.
I selected this book because it also dealt with the graphical application development (although not in depth).
It refers for this to Microsoft IDE (integrated development environment) known as Visual Studio Express and
indicates how to work with Windows Forms Application Templates.
They haven existed in visual studio since 2012 I think. Its now 2015 and this book still refers to this.
the last chapter (10) aims to "...bring together elements from previous chapters to build a complete C++ application in a visual programming environment." So in some ways, you could say, the culmination of what the book teaches, yet using tools which havent existed since 2012
as far as I can tell. The book will still teach you C++ as a console application but who in this day and age runs console applications (text only).
Infact the whole of visual Studio Express no longer exists as far as I can see and Microsoft has moved these templates
to their C# offering which is very similar to C++ but also very different.
it makes me wonder where else this book is out of date. A reasonable C++ book but obviously hasnt been editied or looked at for some time.
I recommend the author rewrite chapter 10 by referring to Microsoft Blend for Visual Studio which is now included with the VS IDE from Microsoft and will help readers with the graphical interface ALTHOUGH that would also mean detailing all the differences between C# and C++.
So conclusion: if you want to learn about basic C++ then this is a good book. If you want to know how to use C++ with a graphical interface then this book is out of date and will steer you towards something that doesnt exist anymore.
on 19 June 2015
This book is overly-methodical, unhelpful, and badly written. Even as reference material for a complete beginner this book cannot be recommended. There are two main problems with this book; The first is the restrictive 2-page-per-concept layout. Which is too limited in scope to reasonably introduce even simple concepts, leading to repetition or over-condensing of ideas.

The second problem is the lack of exercises to reinforce applied knowledge of the concepts covered - the exercises in the book just require writing out what is already written in the book and to compile it, which is problematic as it fails to challenge the reader to think for themselves, and as such ignores a fundamental part of learning computer programming. Further the book is badly written, and does little to inspire any interest in the reader through it's dry, monotonous prose. I had the impression that the author was not particularly knowledgeable about this subject, and his primary motivating factor when writing this was to make money - which seems reinforced by his publishing record.

The reason I gave this book two stars is that it is inexpensive, well printed, and can be used for basic Syntax references despite its superficiality. Nonetheless I cannot recommend this book to anyone hoping to learn C++. It is cheap, but time is money, and any time wasted reading this is time that could be used reading something that you will learn from.

A few recommended books for beginners learning C++ are: Programming Principles and Practice; Accelerated C++; or 'C++ Primer (5th ed.).
on 17 July 2015
This book is a must buy for anyone just starting out with programming in general and who is wanting to learn C++ as a first language! I have almost completed the book and done some mini projects of my own to further my understanding of the basic features of this amazing language. I recommend that after reading this book for people to read a more complete introduction and grounding in the language such as the incredible 'C++ Primer 5th Edition' which can be found here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/C-Primer-Stanley-B-Lippman/dp/0321714113/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1437170969&sr=1-1&keywords=c%2B%2B+primer

This book is amazing for people who need to start with tutorials which use plain English and by the time you advance on to a more complete book you will have the necessary basic understanding of the language used by the people who write those books. I was a 100% novice when I started with this book and I am now moving onto the C++ Primer which I can actually understand!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!