5.0 out of 5 stars One of the few 'beginner' books that deserves the title.
Most 'beginner' books in programming languages follow the same depressing pattern: For a couple of chapters, they're great. Everything is easy and well-explained.

Published 11 months ago by J. Scott

2.0 out of 5 stars Arrrgh .... never buy a book with "Easy" in the title
After 2 hours I have got to the end of page 11 and have torn all my hair out. I don't know if I dare continue.

Page 11....
STEP1 Following the link to the MinGW installer came up with something that bore little resemblance to what was in the book. So I followed the link to "Getting_Started" which was virtually unintelligible to anyone who did not...
Published 4 months ago by M. A.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the few 'beginner' books that deserves the title., 19 Oct 2013
J. Scott "JS" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: C++ Programming In Easy Steps 4th Edition (Paperback)

Then, usually around chapter 3 or 4, you suddenly find that what you thought was a gentle learning curve has suddenly turned into an impassible vertical cliff-face with its top lost in the clouds. You look at the text and examples, and unless you're NOT a beginner at programming, everything may as well be written in Martian.

Even the much-praised C++: A Beginner's Guide, Second Edition ALMOST falls into this trap, because right from the start it uses jargon and mathematical terms that won't be clear to the non-mathematical beginner.

By now, I must have looked at just about every single C++ book that's aimed at beginners, and in my opinion, this is the only one I've seen that really IS for absolute beginners.

If you're taking your first steps, begin here. This one WON'T have you tearing your hair out in frustration!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpfull, 21 Feb 2012
This review is from: C++ Programming In Easy Steps 4th Edition (Paperback)
I have to learn fortran 90 for my course at university, but i am very interested in programming in general, so i bought this book.
I would say there are a few requirements of pc knowledge just for the set up, but this book explains everything in exquisite detail :)
Pros:-
Contains just the necessary information so you can learn without getting sinfully bored with programming jibber jabber.
examples in the book come with syntax highlighting
good price
very good for referring to for just a quick reference
Cons:- it is slightly short... there is a whole world to be explored through programming and this book just skims the basics..
I would definitely recommend this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally Good Introduction, 30 Jun 2013
This review is from: C++ Programming In Easy Steps 4th Edition (Paperback)
This book turned out to be an unexpectedly great introduction. I already knew a bit of C++ but this book added to my knowledge, specifically relating to using Visual Studio. It doesn't go into great depth but it certainly covers the basics well and provides some useful examples. If you want to dive straight in to C++ this book is a great place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book, in a fantastic series!, 10 Mar 2012
This review is from: C++ Programming In Easy Steps 4th Edition (Paperback)
The book is very good and clear. I also used their Java book when I was learning java. The author is very good, but the book is a bit brief, only using two pages or less for each technique. I'd recommend this book to use as a reference along with a much heavier book, or as an introduction. Don't let that put you off though, It's a great book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but not without its flaws, 22 Oct 2012
This review is from: C++ Programming In Easy Steps 4th Edition (Paperback)
This book, from what I can tell is very thorough and great for beginners such as myself. Coming from the perspective of a person who knew literally nothing about programming, this book has given me a decent insight into the world of C++, providing detailed explanations, and the source code for every example if you get confused. That said some of the methods used just did not work for me. Like writing the code in notepad and just naming it "Something.cpp" did not work with the compiler at all, for anybody suffering the same issue, download microsoft visual studio express 2010/08 and open .cpp files to do your programming. There were also a few things nearer the end of the book that required intuition on the readers part in order to understand, there were certain things used in the examples the book gives that just weren't detailed at all in a separate paragraph, and at times the writer seemed to assume that the reader had prior knowledge which, for a beginner, was not helpful. That said, on the most part this book was very concise and well detailed with a few minor issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 31 Jan 2012
ReviewMan "Large" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: C++ Programming In Easy Steps 4th Edition (Paperback)
I wasn't able to go through the book in 12-15 hours as another reviewer was able to do, but having said that, the book is concise inasmuch as it gets straight to the point without using any unnecessary deviations from the plot, so to speak. Having a knowledge of C++ from some years ago I believe that I can honestly say that the book covers a wide range of C++ topics and that any novice will have done herself/himself a favour by buying this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is both cheap and helpful!, 25 Aug 2014
This review is from: C++ Programming In Easy Steps 4th Edition (Paperback)
I've done plenty of programming before in Java, but had nearly no experience with C++. This book was very cheap and very helpful for me. It does a very good job explaining concepts such as objects (although I didn't really need them explained to me, as Java is also an object-oriented language) and pointers (which I did need explained - pointers drove me mad before I understood them).

There are probably online resources that offer a similar level of knowledge to this book, but I would still pick this up - it's nice not to have to ALT+TAB all the time, it explains everything clearly with some illustrations, and it's dirt cheap! A great book for beginner programmers or those new to C++.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great intro, would love to see a sequel, 17 Aug 2012
This review is from: C++ Programming In Easy Steps 4th Edition (Paperback)
This is a great book for starting with C++ fast. It covers windows and Linux and you've covered data types including arrays within the first chapter. My only reservation is that it would be great if there was something on Network programming - perhaps a sequel called "C++ next steps" could be written following the same format? Here's hoping! I was blown away by how fast I got coding once I finished and this is by far the best intro to C++ I've seen so far. Highly recommended for the beginner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book :), 24 Feb 2014
This review is from: C++ Programming In Easy Steps 4th Edition (Paperback)
I am 2nd year University student and its very hard to find a book that is as easy to read as this!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's ease of language, 6 July 2013
This review is from: C++ Programming In Easy Steps 4th Edition (Paperback)
The book is straight and ease to use, the language is so simple to understand. The contents are rich enough for my level of programming.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

C++ Programming In Easy Steps 4th Edition
C++ Programming In Easy Steps 4th Edition by Mike McGrath (Paperback - 24 May 2011)
4.40