Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 January 2010
I wanted a book that gave me the basics of Windows 7 and some more advanced topics.This book gives you all that.It's a great reference because of it gives simple instructions without being patronising and the illustrations are clear and helpful.I'd recommend this book to anyone learning Windows 7.Using the book is a lot easier than going to the help menu on your PC or laptop every time.Once you have mastered the topics in this book you can move on to a book that explores new and advanced topics and get the most out of Windows 7.
on 14 April 2010
I use a computer. I don't feel any need to gettoo deep inside the inner workings of the operating system.

I'm a graduate of DOS, Windows95/ME and XP. I missed Vista because of all the adverse reviews, but just bought a laptop with Windows 7 and it looked different! OK, I figured all my usual stuff was there somewhere, but where? I'm not so patient and I do not want to wade through 500 pages to learn every iota.

I needed some reference to how the operating system was organised so that I could get organised. I found this book, though first I had purchased the Tips & Techniques edition, which was great.

This book is not for geeks. This book is for people who use their computers and provides a simple, straightforward read and in the hour it took to read brought me a more up to speed with the new system, so that I can carry on doing what I do....use the computer!
on 9 May 2010
I purchased this book on the advice of my local, friendly librarian.
It is all that it claims to be.
Plain English. No Waffle. Easy to follow and fully illustrated in full colour.
For someone new to Windows 7, then this is the book for you.
Brian.P.Smith. (Norfolk).
This book sets out what it intends to do and that is to support you in using Windows 7 "without the waffle". The book is divided into colour coded sections covering topics such as "Getting Started", "Basic Controls", Managing Files and Folders" etc. It uses a logical flow together with text and good quality annotated screenshots to navigate you through the various functions and processes. An added help is that down the right hand side of each page there are "tips" in three categories "Don't Forget", "Beware" and "Hot Tip" - some of these are really good and I've been grateful for them even though I've been using Windows 7 for three years or so. The book is also a great "memory jogger" too.

In my view this book covers the sorts of things that would be relevant to a novice and up to an intermediate user.

Recommended.
on 12 November 2010
I first borrowed this book from the library, after renewing it for the second time I decided I had to have for myself permanently. It is a constant source of easily understood information. Information for the beginner, or the more advanced.
on 26 December 2009
I have read this book and it is only for beginners really: it's basic and more of an introduction to some of windows 7 features. It's not complete, also it offers next to nothing for anyone already more experienced generally with using computers. Not bad, not great.. definitely one to skip for moderately experienced/advanced computer users.
on 8 November 2009
An excellent book. Well written and easy to read. Very comprehempsive and good value for the price
on 7 September 2013
JUST WHAT WAS REQUIRED AS I HAD JUST UPGRADED TO WINDOWS 7 FROM WINDOWS XP & NEEDED A BIT OF TUITION ON THE DIFFERENCES
on 26 June 2012
As a Senior Citizen I purchased this book with another Book (Windows 7 for Seniors). This book worked well with the other one and I frequently refer to both books. I would recommend them to all new to windows 7 users.
on 25 June 2012
There are so many books to choose from it was quite difficult to decided which one to buy so we were guided by previous reviews. We have found this book to be informative, easy to follow and no nonsense text.